• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP! Wife wants power brakes.

VitaMeVas

Local time
5:42 AM
Reaction score
I have a 68 Satellite with original 318 stroked to 390 at 400+ hp. I’m doing all the suspension to OE with both front and rear (except polyurethane bushings). I will be getting some 15 x 8 rims in rear and 15 x 7 in front. I’m trying to decide if I want to just upgrade the front drums to discs or do all 4 drums to discs. Prefer wilwood. The wife loves the car, but the manual brakes terrify her (yes, I know). She will only drive it if I can get a brake booster installed. Can I do this in steps without having to go backwards with parts? Where do I start? Get a new booster with the OE master cylinder? Do I need a proportioning valve now or later? Different size brake lines? Eventually we will do the front discs at least and I don’t want to get a booster/master cylinder and then have to get another master cylinder later when it’s decided. Important note!!!! If the wife doesn’t drive the car, I have a lot less $$$ funding to build it how I want. HELP.

CCD29303-8F3C-4468-92CA-DB8ECA70A883.jpeg

My wife cannot drive a standard. So. I made sure I own all standards. :)

Do the disc brake conversion. The 10” drums suck even with power. The discs are much nicer. Read through other posts here for disc conversion opinions, there are many. Depends how stock you want it to look, do you want to use drum spindles, do you want a sway bar to fit. Also, get what they are using so you can buy new pads and discs.

Start a email dialog with Dr Diff.

2nd on the email to Dr Diff!

My wife cannot drive a standard. So. I made sure I own all standards. :)
My wife will only drive stick shifts. Figured I got a good one.

I recommend Cass also. He will get you all set up.

2nd on the email to Dr Diff!

Just asking as the new guy, Dr Diff is reputable?, local?, good deals?, knowledgeable? I’ve been looking at wilwood kits through other companies (summit, JEGS, etc. ). I’m guessing Dr Diff is more helpful with individual applications?

Dr Diff supports what he sells. His basic front disc conversion kit is based on 1978 Aspen Volare. You can keep your 14 inch wheels. I can highly recommend Dr Diff. You can also consider Ram Man as another source.

Just asking as the new guy, Dr Diff is reputable?, local?, good deals?, knowledgeable? I’ve been looking at wilwood kits through other companies (summit, JEGS, etc. ). I’m guessing Dr Diff is more helpful with individual applications?
Dr Diff is very reputable and one of the best vendors we have as far as customer service, pricing, and knowledge. Since the virus thing he only corresponds by email, but you won't be disappointed with him.

Just do front brake conversion to disc. Rears can be left as drums. Most stopping power is in front. There are kits available on Ebay that include all parts necessary. I live in a place with a lot of steep mountains and hills. Front conversion is all you need.

Just do front brake conversion to disc. Rears can be left as drums. Most stopping power is in front. There are kits available on Ebay that include all parts necessary. I live in a place with a lot of steep mountains and hills. Front conversion is all you need.

Thanks. A lot of the reading I’ve seen agrees with that. Now I’m trying to figure out what front disc system will jive with my hellwig 55903 front sway bar. Since the caliper is supposed to mount to the front. I’m still waiting to hear back from Dr Diff. But they’re out until after Aug 3. I know there are ways to flip the caliper to the rear but requires attention to brake line routing. Work in progress.

I just finished a disc brake kit installation from Cass on Saturday, its the Stage1 version (10.94ish discs). Mine are rear mount calipers, which is what was supposed to be on the car at that time (1969 GTX), I also installed a Hellwig sway bar, replacing a crappy aftermarket bar that the previous owner installed. Everything works as it is supposed to, no issues.
In addition to getting exactly what you need, Cass is super prompt with answering emails if you have any issues/questions.

Dale
SW Mich

I just finished a disc brake kit installation from Cass on Saturday, its the Stage1 version (10.94ish discs). Mine are rear mount calipers, which is what was supposed to be on the car at that time (1969 GTX), I also installed a Hellwig sway bar, replacing a crappy aftermarket bar that the previous owner installed. Everything works as it is supposed to, no issues.
In addition to getting exactly what you need, Cass is super prompt with answering emails if you have any issues/questions.

Dale
SW Mich

That sounds like just what I need. He’s out til next week. Just waiting to hear back once he’s back in the office. Thanks!

Thanks. A lot of the reading I’ve seen agrees with that. Now I’m trying to figure out what front disc system will jive with my hellwig 55903 front sway bar. Since the caliper is supposed to mount to the front. I’m still waiting to hear back from Dr Diff. But they’re out until after Aug 3. I know there are ways to flip the caliper to the rear but requires attention to brake line routing. Work in progress.
I don’t think a sway bar plays any role at all. You’re not changing the lower control arm. The lower control arm has the mounts for the sway bar. Some stock lower control arms have the mounts, some don’t. If not, there are aftermarket mounts available you can bolt onto the lower control arm. Has no role in converting to disc brakes.

I agree 100%. I went from 4 wheel manual drums to power with front disc. I couldn't be more satisfied with the brakes. My buddy down in KY has a 69 Coronet and it scares me how you have to stand on the brakes in that car.

Auto Transport Service
Back