• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hey....WHO likes Demo Derby action ??

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:10 AM
Reaction score
Last night I went to the first Demolition Derby that I have been to in over 25 years....

Derby 8.jpg

Funny that this Ford had "Joto" across the front of the hood. The word is Spanish for "Homosexual male"...

The cars there were all 1970s and older. This looks to be an early 60s Lincoln Continental.

Derby 9.jpg

Some of the modifications that the cars had were strange. I noticed they all came out of the pits with really stiff looking suspensions. Some sedans had that odd looking bend over the trunklid area too.

Derby 12.jpg

Station wagons are a favorite.
Derby 6.jpg

It was great to see the bent wheels, spewing radiators, engines on fire...

Derby 4.jpg

Derby 7.jpg

Nothing but fun to watch!! Figure 8 racing is a good time also. I just wished they'd use cars that weren't 70's. Thanks for the post!!

I looked up the rules in a few sites...Radiators have to be in stock locations??? How the heck do they keep from pushing them into the engines? Side impacts seem to do minimal damage to the cars yet in the rules I saw that side bars were prohibited except for the drivers door area.
Several Fords used Dodge or Chevy V8s...I know it is fun to bash Ford for building UNreliable cars but why dump the Ford engines? Is it because they use a front mounted distributor and are prone to damage during frontal impact?
Derby 2.jpg

Also...NOTICE that "bend in the trunk area of the white and red car? What is the purpose of that?

I hadnt been to one in over 45 years. Last year Don Frelier told me his son was competing in one locally. My wife and I went and met up with Don and his wife. It was crazy fun ! I had forgotten just how much I enjoyed them when younger. Hopefully will be going to watch him this year too !

They had a truck competition too.
Derby tr 2.jpg

The orange and black trucks were FORDS, one has an LS Chevy, the other two were Mopar engines. Years back, I talked to a guy that ran truck demo derby...He said the Fords of the early 60s were a favorite, the "Unibody" trucks that had the bed welded to the cab.
View attachment 765681
Derby tr 1.jpg

This Dodge had a Chevy engine.
Derby tr 4.jpg

Note the fire....
Derby tr 5.jpg

THEN the smoke...
Derby tr 6.jpg

Glad you enjoyed yourself Kern. Me??? I see it only as a big waste of both time and the money spent to get these vehicles into Demo condition only to then see them destroyed. And really for what??? Just me as I have never been to one and really do not care nor want to...cr8crshr/Bill:screwy::screwy::screwy::usflag::usflag::usflag:

I have watched circle track racing with "Claimers and "Beaters" for years but never have seen a figure 8 race.
I am curious as to how these cars are built and prepped for these races.

Way back in the 80's
I helped build a old 4 dr 71-72 (?) Malibu (Chevelle body) IIRC
a buddy of mine had a muffler shop, West Coast Muffler
we had his advert. mantra "no muff too tough"
on the side of it, with pink paint too, #007

IMO what a complete waste of money, time, resources
& especially hrs spent
just to destroy it
even if it was a POS Cheby 4dr to begin with
he did the D.D. in Antioch Ca., dirt track/toilet bowl racing Sat. nights
I was into the Winged Sprint/Super Modified Cars way back then
it was a natural progression to do a Demo Derby POS
filthy muddy crap, wasn't worth putting back on the trailer

he didn't last long either, he took like 6th place, out of 20 cars
no money, after 5th IIRC
A 60's series 62 Caddy won IRRC

never did another one either

IIRC 1st rule in the rule book used to be, 'no Imperials allowed" :poke:

Last edited:
I have watched circle track racing with "Claimers and "Beaters" for years but never have seen a figure 8 race.
I am curious as to how these cars are built and prepped for these races.

I guess they all have their safety requirements and are tech-ed before racing. (see how I spelled that)

Here's a little sample. Check out the busses at the end...

Auto Transport Service
Back