• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High volume oil pump needs different oil filter?

65coronet70dart

Local time
4:33 AM
Reaction score
Looking for some advise here

I rebuilt my engine in my 1965 dodge coronet, 318 with a high volume oil pump, with the 4 extra holes drilled in the oil filter mounting plate.

Would i need to change the oil filter type for the high volume oil pump?

The parts stores says stock filter is 51515 wix, 1515 napa (21 micron)

For some reason i had on filter 51452 wix, 1452 napa (19 micron)

The only difference between those two are the micron, size and gpm are the same.

Should i be worried about the gallons per minute with the high volume oil pump, making the filter go into bypass?

Let me know what you think, thanks

If the filter becomes a restriction, the pump will bypass some oil and 2 microns shouldn't make much if any difference in flow.

So what do you guys think about the GPM change, the 51515 is good for 7-9 GPM

The high volume oil pump says it flows 25% more, that would be about 2 more GPM

It can flow that much but will it without bypassing? Why do you think you needed the high volume pump? Is it a high performance engine? If the engine is together and in the car, then run it but I would note your pressure. If that's too high, you can swap out the relief spring. High volume is ok and while not always needed, pressure that's do high can erode bearings over time.

I only run Fram HP Filters they are the best.

filter 51515 HP1
wix fram
micron 21 20
bypass pressure 8-11 psi 22 psi
flow rating 7-9 gpm 10-18 gpm
burst pressure 290 psi 350-500 psi

Auto Transport Service
Back