• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holley Carbs

ramchargerjoe

Local time
8:12 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just wondering if anyone has an opinion or has run the 770cfm Holley carbs list#0-4236 or 0-4235 which are set up for the hemi or wedge crossram manifolds.
Just curious for street/strip duty.
Cheers

Have not heard any experience with them. Find it interesting they gave them correct part #'s.

I've run #3116's (these are the 1964.1965)version on the street. The one modification would be to restrict the idle feed. Fouling plugs on warm up. The guy to answer this question is 68 Hemi GTS
his Dart runs purrfect. Go to Thread Mopar Exhaust Systems look for Graveyard Cars 67 GTX convertible mufflers then post #21. This says it ALL.

If you decide to go with those carbs on a crossram there's an article in Dec 2015 Hemmings Muscle Machines. The article is Idle Work by Jeff Smith explains how to lean out idle circuit. Helped me to stop fouling plugs while engine warms up. The only thing he had you drill .030 hole through brass set screws, that was a challenge. To long to explain here, if you ever do the 4235,6 carbs on a crossram I can copy article and explain how I drilled holes.

I run these carbs on a Hemi and would like a copy of the article and the drilling info as well.

Ernesto

Great, thanks for your input guys. I'll look for that article Fran. My concern is the streetability. I'm sure WOT on the strip would be fine as I think holleys are more suited to that.

These pictures tell what they did and where they did it. There are two idle feed holes. My carbs had NO bushing in idle feed hole. Thought the guy who owned carbs before me removed them, no. Bought two from Holley no restrictor. Hole was .058 tried wire in hole to make the hole smaller it worked but a pain. Did the mod in pictures with a .030 hole big help, have refine it yet,
x idle.jpg
x2 idle.jpg
x3 idle.jpg
Set Screw soldering.PNG
other things to work on. The last picture is how I drilled holes in set screws. Broke drills trying to drill brass.

Edit: In description how to drill holes should read "locking pliers".

Last edited:
Several years ago I had a pair of the Holley repo's on a crate hemi. My experience is
that the other posts about modifying the metering blocks is correct. I was having trouble
getting them dialed in and had access to a older very experienced carb and ignition guy.
His solution was to change out the metering blocks. He had a pair of blocks off a 427
Cobra and the change made a huge difference. So modifying or changing would be the way to go.

The red arrows show where drilled set screws go after tapping holes with 6/32 tap.
idlep2.jpg
idle p.jpg

Edit: you do not have to do any drilling on metering blocks! Hole is the correct size as is.

Last edited:
Brilliant Fran...i'm still searching for the article but i'll pm you about your offer.
...hey can i send you the metering blocks instead...:rofl:

Thanks for the info Ratroaster...if only we all had a mate like that...do you know what # carb was on that 427 Cobra?
Cheers !!

Ratroaster will have to tell you about the 427 carbs.
Gladly mail you article after that your on your own. It's easy except the pain of drilling and soldering the set screws. Once there soldered they drill like nothing. In that description wasn't clear I hold the set screws that are locked in two nuts with locking pliers while soldering. Bought a set of tapes on ebay less than $15 and mini drills were a little less.

Brilliant Fran...i'm still searching for the article but i'll pm you about your offer.
...hey can i send you the metering blocks instead...:rofl:

Thanks for the info Ratroaster...if only we all had a mate like that...do you know what # carb was on that 427 Cobra?
Cheers !!

Ramcharger Joe,

Sorry, I don't know what the # on the Cobra carb was, and the Coronet is no longer with me to be able to check the Holley P/N.
As I recall the difference in the 2 blocks involved the size of the Power Valve channels.

Best regard's.

Ramcharger Joe,

Sorry, I don't know what the # on the Cobra carb was, and the Coronet is no longer with me to be able to check the Holley P/N.
As I recall the difference in the 2 blocks involved the size of the Power Valve channels.

Best regard's.
Bought my carbs and manifold in 1971 and they had plugs in power valves. Guy was racing so I don't know if the later ones 4235/36's come with plugs or PV's. He had the set screw that underneath for secondary so they were open a hair. Couldn't get my car to idle under 1400 rpm. Saw secondary's were open lucky I spotted set screw before I screwed up something. Guy also took out the spring for secondary opening control. But for $175 who's complaining. I had/have an article how to set up carbs with power valves. Moved stuff around where I put it and now I have to fish around to see if I can find it. Looked today where I had it but I moved it from there, it's in the area.

...yea i know ive got one of those "How to..Holley" books lying around somewhere too...i guess ill search for it now...thanks Fran

Auto Transport Service
Back