• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How can I tell if engine was stroked by a previous owner?

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
3:20 PM
Reaction score
I bought the car from a dealer. The engine is a rebuilt 440 from a truck or RV. I need a new windage tray but there are two: one for 3.75" stroke and one for up to 4.15".

How can I tell if my engine was stroked by a previous owner?

The oil pan is off and the engine is in the car.

Thanks FBBO

If you have the oil pan off you could just run a piston to the top of it's stroke and measure from the piston skirt to the bottom of the bore then bring it to the bottom and measure again?

The 3.750 tray will fit the 4.150 crank with minimal hammer work. Back in the day there was only one tray available.
Doug

The only cranks I've needed the deeper tray for are the 4.25" or longer stroke versions. The crank and/or rods will be different than a factory carnk in most strokers too, but the easiest is to just measure the travel as noted above.

H beam rods? sure sign of a kit, or aluminum pistons, any clearencing done around oil boss etc sure sign lol.

Cold and rain in this week's forecast. This will be a project for next weekend.

Good to know. Thanks.

Auto Transport Service
Back