• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you eat your chili?

my two favorites

R (1).jpg

R (2).jpg

We keep a bottle of Cholula around always. My FIL turned me onto it years ago. Topatio is good stuff too :thumbsup:

not sure what ur getting, what is pork roll in tn? we should start a thread about local food / local food styles… we talked about some different things here (( old bay hot sauce , things added into chili…) , i got some good ideas …..
I'd be ordering the real thing through Amazon if I were buying anything.... All the name brand NJ packers are on there.

ARMY CHILI tm 10-412 (100 portions)

This was the army recipe in use when the book was printed in 1992.

8 lbs. dried kidney or pinto beans
3 gals. boiling water
4 oz. salt
24 lb.s boneless beef, ground
1 oz. garlic, chopped
2 lbs. onion, chopped or
4 ozs. dehydrated onion
2 Tbs. mono-sodium glutamate (optional)
2 oz. cumin (optional)
8 ozs. chili powder
2 ozs. paprika
2 Tbs. cayenne
5 ozs. salt
3 quarts. canned tomatoes, crushed
3 1/2 cups canned tomato paste
1 gal. hot water
1 cup sifted wheat flower for tightener (optional)
2 cups water or bean liquid (optional)

Wash beans and add to the boiling water. Return to a boil, remove from heat, cover, and let soak one hour or longer. Add salt and cook about one and one-half hours or until tender. Add water as needed to keep beans just covered. Do not drain liquid from beans.

Saute beef until it loses pink color, stirring to break meat in small pieces. Drain or skim off excess fat during cooking period. Add garlic, onion, monosodium glutamate, cumin, chili powder, paprika, cayenne, and the five ounces of salt. Mix thoroughly and bring to a simmer.

Add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste, and the gallon of hot water. Stir and bring to a simmer. Cook one hour. Do Not boil. Add the cooked beans and liquid. Simmer for thrity minutes. To thicken chili, mix flour and water or bean liquid, and add to chili while stirring. Cook about five minutes.

Cooks Note: "Twenty-seven and a half pounds of canned kidney or pinto beans may be used instead of the dried beans. A 36-ounce can of tomato juice concentrate may be used in place of the three and a half cups of tomato paste.:

ARMY CHILI tm 10-412 (100 portions)

This was the army recipe in use when the book was printed in 1992.

8 lbs. dried kidney or pinto beans
3 gals. boiling water
4 oz. salt
24 lb.s boneless beef, ground
1 oz. garlic, chopped
2 lbs. onion, chopped or
4 ozs. dehydrated onion
2 Tbs. mono-sodium glutamate (optional)
2 oz. cumin (optional)
8 ozs. chili powder
2 ozs. paprika
2 Tbs. cayenne
5 ozs. salt
3 quarts. canned tomatoes, crushed
3 1/2 cups canned tomato paste
1 gal. hot water
1 cup sifted wheat flower for tightener (optional)
2 cups water or bean liquid (optional)

Wash beans and add to the boiling water. Return to a boil, remove from heat, cover, and let soak one hour or longer. Add salt and cook about one and one-half hours or until tender. Add water as needed to keep beans just covered. Do not drain liquid from beans.

Saute beef until it loses pink color, stirring to break meat in small pieces. Drain or skim off excess fat during cooking period. Add garlic, onion, monosodium glutamate, cumin, chili powder, paprika, cayenne, and the five ounces of salt. Mix thoroughly and bring to a simmer.

Add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste, and the gallon of hot water. Stir and bring to a simmer. Cook one hour. Do Not boil. Add the cooked beans and liquid. Simmer for thrity minutes. To thicken chili, mix flour and water or bean liquid, and add to chili while stirring. Cook about five minutes.

Cooks Note: "Twenty-seven and a half pounds of canned kidney or pinto beans may be used instead of the dried beans. A 36-ounce can of tomato juice concentrate may be used in place of the three and a half cups of tomato paste.:
I'm full just looking at that recipe. 24lbs of beef?
1697211474113.png

One of the famous chili cooks was, of course, Carroll Shelby who was one of the founders of the annual Chili Cook Off competition held at Terlingua, Texas.
These days, you can buy his chili mix just about anywhere, even on Amazon.

But this is what he was cooking up in the 1960s for his chili parties at Terlingua. Good for about forty people

Carroll Shelby's Chili

20 lbs. coarsely round round or chuck beef
12 large onions, finely chopped
6 green bell peppers, chopped
6 red bell peppers, chopped
rendered suet or oil
5 15-oz. cans tomato sauce
1 gal. water
10 Tbs. chili powder
2 1/2 tsp. cayenne
5 tsp. black pepper
5 tsp. oregano
10 tsp. ground cumin
20 cloves garlic, finely chopped
salt to taste
drained canned kidney beans, (optional), as desired

Brown meat, onion, and bell peppers in suet or oil. Transfer to a large pot and add tomato sauce and water. Mix well.

Stir in remaining ingredient, except beans. Let cook for one to two hours, stirring occasionally. If beans are desired, add for the last half hour of cooking time, or heat separately and serve as a side dish.

I usually use Shelby's chili pack as a starter.

After hearing me talk about this thread, my wanted me to make chili so we cooked up a batch yesterday. We like ours with beans even though we know  real chili doesn't have them.

Ingredients ready to go
20231015_093908.jpg

Ready to eat...
20231015_184739.jpg

Finished with some cheese, diced onion and oyster crackers with jalapeño cornbread on the side. Man, it was good.

Put enough in the fridge for another meal plus extra for chili dogs. Put the other half in the freezer for later.

Auto Transport Service
Back