• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you pancake ?

My wife makes ours from scratch....about 4 inches diameter, and we normally have banana pancakes. Mine get about 5 blueberries dropped into the top just before flipping.
Cover with the imported maple syrup - usually Canadian Steve's brand. Sometimes we have bacon with them. :thumbsup:

The banana pancakes are actually made with rolled oats (porridge flakes) as opposed to just regular flour....it adds some fibre and additional stuff to chew on. We used to get the regular pancakes when I was a kid - large ones, single per pan and thin. Roll them up with butter and either maple or Golden syrup ....and eat them quickly so the juice doesn't go everywhere. :)

Back in the '70's we had a chain of Pancake Houses around New Zealand - we would go there as a treat. They made savoury filled, apple & cinnamon, banana & passionfruit filled....around 20 different fillings. Always a nice meal.

Maple syrup.gif

Wife prefers waffles, so pancakes are rare here...
The mix is from scratch (I've taken a researched recipe and tweaked it to suit our
All-Clad waffle iron, looking for crispness vs. soggy), there's considerable vanilla in
it (real) and the syrup is always Vermont-sourced real maple stuff (we prefer the lighter
stuff vs. dark).

I must admit, doing it all from scratch vs. a box mix makes all the difference, as does
getting a waffle iron that reaches a hot enough temperature to get crispy results.
Oh - I buy White Cap non-stick spray from the Waffle House folks, same stuff they use.
Far better than the store bought crap.
Do you use malt powder in your waffle batter?

I like multigrain pancakes with pecans, butter and blueberries, then maple syrup

Pancakes mixed up like scrambled eggs and with walnuts and hazelnuts with Vermont maple syrup.

Does the OP also apply to :

Griddle cakes?

Flap jacks?

Johnny cakes?

The wife and I get what we call the Pancake sleepies after eating them. I love having them for breakfast but they do leave me wanting a nap.
It's due to the high glycemic Index (sugar rush) and resulting crash. There's a ton of carbs in a pancake breakfast.

I love pancakes and cinnamon rolls and the wife loves waffles. So, for those occasional quick easy breakfasts we go with,
00018000005079_C1L1_s410_d9918cec-4e18-49ac-81b0-e6a7d93a2d9c.jpg

1713357744143.png

cinnamon-rolls-in-waffle-maker-6-1536x1024.jpg

and it has to have this on it.
61l06T8NLjL._SL1200_.jpg

Pancakes or waffles, butter, extra crunchy peanut butter, KARO syrup on top with a cup of HOT black coffee!!!

My Mom was Canadian, and brought back a big can of Roger's Syrup from her last trip there.
I assumed some sort of Canadian pure maple syrup, light colored. I was used to Mrs Butterworths, so I didn't care for it.
I wonder if they still make it?

The Roger’s syrup that we used to get was a corn syrup. That was in the ‘60’s and ‘70’s, I don’t know if they made others or if it’s even still made.
***edit*** I googled it. An interesting read. It’s still made.

Or as a treat, Mom's secret recipe (some kind of boxed pancake mix, I was so disappointed when I found that out), but with fresh butter and homemade blackberry jam. Just roll them up and eat them.

As a side note: we kids used to fight over the end pieces of homemade bread. 1 inch thick, hot with butter and strawberry preserves! We didn't know you could buy bread from a store until we were older.
The good old days!

I don’t eat them too much anymore because of the carbs, but when I used to make them I used Pioneer baking mix, followed instructions on box.
I would cook bacon first, then cook the pancakes in that pan in the bacon grease. Nice crispy edges.
Real maple syrup and butter, my kids liked them

A little different here If I'm the one making them, they're my old German grandmother's way...one big light and puffy one baked in a pan. A smear of whipped butter and topped with powdered sugar for me. The wife and kids always preferred the good maple syrup, I might steal a little of it for my bacon but don't really use it on the 'cakes anymore.

Auto Transport Service
Back