• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does the Hemi compare?

Remember this. If you want to make BIG Power with any engine. You're not gonna do it with stock components.

Remember this. If you want to make BIG Power with any engine. You're not gonna do it with stock components.
I'm on my way to swapping a 392 into my 71 Satellite / roadrunner clone.....I know it's not going to have the gut wrenching feel of an old school big block, but I plan to leave it box stock for turn key reliability and little to no wrenching to keep it going.....I think that is the biggest reason for the resto mod movement.

I'm on my way to swapping a 392 into my 71 Satellite / roadrunner clone.....I know it's not going to have the gut wrenching feel of an old school big block, but I plan to leave it box stock for turn key reliability and little to no wrenching to keep it going.....I think that is the biggest reason for the resto mod movement.
The 6.4 in my `cuda is so deceptive. The driveline is supposed to be in a car a thousand pounds heavier, with all the nanny limitations. I literally had it get away from me once. I truly respect what Chrysler did.....when put in a non-limited platform. This may be the only driver-car I've had, that I truly "respect". My 300C is so much tamer and more numb feeling. It also isn't nearly as crazy and fun. Make no mistake...it is a subtle-beast.

The 6.4 in my `cuda is so deceptive. The driveline is supposed to be in a car a thousand pounds heavier, with all the nanny limitations. I literally had it get away from me once. I truly respect what Chrysler did.....when put in a non-limited platform. This may be the only driver-car I've had, that I truly "respect". My 300C is so much tamer and more numb feeling. It also isn't nearly as crazy and fun. Make no mistake...it is a subtle-beast.
I really feel a lot of people don’t realize that just because it doesn’t sound like an old wedge or maybe have the torque out of the hole that Gen3s are dogs…. Ride in one that’s all I gotta say.

I really feel a lot of people don’t realize that just because it doesn’t sound like an old wedge or maybe have the torque out of the hole that Gen3s are dogs…. Ride in one that’s all I gotta say.
This will get people in trouble. Stupid low-end power. The Smooth power and torque combined with the trans ratios...

NAG-1 ratios
gearratio

JIC anyone wants them all

Last edited:
I own both. A 2012 Challenger R/T Classic with a 5.7L Hemi for my daily fair weather driver. And, also 3 other Gen II Hemi's. I have a 528" Hemi in my 70' Challenger currently. I like them both for different reasons. However, no matter what anyone says, as impressive as the Gen III Hemi's are with today's technology. They do not come close to comparing to a Gen II Hemi.

View attachment 1552588

View attachment 1552589

View attachment 1552590

View attachment 1552591
Not sure what you mean by no comparison between old school and the new Hemi. The 6.1 in my 68 Charger is stock except for a throttle body swap and a diablo tune and it has knocked a high 12 quarter mile at 103 with street tires. IMO, that compares with what the better running street Hemi Chargers were putting down back then.

Not sure what you mean by no comparison between old school and the new Hemi. The 6.1 in my 68 Charger is stock except for a throttle body swap and a diablo tune and it has knocked a high 12 quarter mile at 103 with street tires. IMO, that compares with what the better running street Hemi Chargers were putting down back then.
It's just such a deceptive package. Power and torque from EFI, roller valvetrain, variable cam timing, and crazy trans ratios in the modern transmissions. When I sat down to plan my `cuda build, the transmission was the most important part to me.

Exactly what I'm dreaming of! Lol

Sure, with enough money, time and effort anything can be done. I am sure your car runs and drives amazing for a 68.
Don't see Top Fuel going to 3rd Gen's anytime soon.

Sure, with enough money, time and effort anything can be done. I am sure your car runs and drives amazing for a 68.
Don't see Top Fuel going to 3rd Gen's anytime soon.
Absolutely nothing stock on a Top Fueler. I thought we were comparing Old school Hemi's to the Gen 111's.
Obviously you are talking 3000+ HP blown Gen 2 hemi's to your stock 5.7. Thank you for clarifying. You are correct. They do not come close to comparing.

TF Hemis used to run stock intake rockers, maybe still do
if I'm not mistaken

Absolutely nothing stock on a Top Fueler. I thought we were comparing Old school Hemi's to the Gen 111's.
Obviously you are talking 3000+ HP blown Gen 2 hemi's to your stock 5.7. Thank you for clarifying. You are correct. They do not come close to comparing.
11,000 hp

The only 2 complaint’s I have read about a Gen III HEMI swap is the MP oil filter kit not fitting well or actually not at all in the chassis. The other one is the cost of parts and what they totaled for the swap/

If you can get past these two things, IMO, it’s a super grand slam if not a hair better because the vehicles of yesteryear are lighter in weight. This adds to more performance and maybe, just maybe mileage on that long cruise. Your tire size may effect this a little, or, a lot.

On comparing the two engines, it’s not really a fair comparison.
The Gen III is cubic inch & cylinder head limited. Pound for pound is a better comparison. Hp per cube is another good comparison.

On comparing the two engines, it’s not really a fair comparison.
The Gen III is cubic inch & cylinder head limited. Pound for pound is a better comparison. Hp per cube is another good comparison.
I'm not super up on new hemis,, but they make a 426 ci no?
Should be easy to compare hp/ cube

Gen3 Hemi heads will out flow damn near any big block Mopar head.

I'm not super up on new hemis,, but they make a 426 ci no?
You can get or make a 426 Gen III HEMI.
Should be easy to compare hp/ cube
Not really and I already stated why. You took one option away, CID. That’s only a partial. How is that bore and stroke combo made for each? Yes, it does help level the playing field. But the way the bore and stroke combo is will favor one aspect over another. Where do you want that obvious aspect?

So, now we’re down to the cylinder head being limited. Let’s start with the stock cylinder head vs stock cylinder head. The Gen III is valve size limited. How is the port flow between them. Starting again, with just the stock cylinder heads.

Once you go after market, it’s like cheating against the stock part. We will get to upgraded parts later, let’s just start at the base level and work upwards.

The other problem of a comparison between the two is all the modern electronics that the Gen III has. Leave them factory tubes and to the vehicle on which it came in.

Keep the “Hot Rodding” aspect of it out of it all for the moment.
You can only do to one what the other one is capable of in its limitations of the part on hand.

An example is, the Gen III will never take a 2.30 intake valve but the Gen 2 can. The Gen 3 gets the largest valve it can easily take as the Gen 2 can in its stock head without moving the valve over.

Just dyno 1 of each, similar cam, unported heads and work from there.
After there's 2 numbers on the table, let the excuses fly in both directions.

TF Hemis used to run stock intake rockers, maybe still do
if I'm not mistaken
Wow! How far off track can we get? This thread started out asking the question How does the Gen III Hemi compare to the vintage engine in terms of daily driver use?

Auto Transport Service
Back