• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does the Hemi compare?

Absolutely nothing stock on a Top Fueler. I thought we were comparing Old school Hemi's to the Gen 111's.
Obviously you are talking 3000+ HP blown Gen 2 hemi's to your stock 5.7. Thank you for clarifying. You are correct. They do not come close to comparing.
Didn't mean to get the post of track. Just sharing my opinion. Actually, my 2nd Gen street Hemi head gaskets lay right on and line up with several blown Hemi blocks and heads we have here at work. Other than bore size and no water in the blown Hemi Stuff. It is all still basically the same original architecture. Like I originally said. I like them both, but for different reasons.

Just dyno 1 of each, similar cam, unported heads and work from there.
After there's 2 numbers on the table, let the excuses fly in both directions.
The factory already did that for us.
Now which version of the NA Gen III do you want to run with?
Wow! How far off track can we get? This thread started out asking the question How does the Gen III Hemi compare to the vintage engine in terms of daily driver use?

Isn’t it normal to go off track? LMAO!

IMO, I’ll take ether the Gen I or III for everyday useage.

That would be cool to see.
The one where you don't have to pull the heads to change the shitty lifters lol.

I'm not a hemi man. I like racing and going rounds, and you have to build a mean hemi to beat a mean wedge. Pulling those old fat motors apart all the time doesn't appeal to me.
But back to day to day drive ability, of course the new little refined hemi is a hands down winner

LocationSask
That would be cool to see.
Ya just gotta look it up. The dyno curves have been out nearly as long as the Gen 3 has been out and the Gen 2 is well documented.rumblefish360 said:

The one where you don't have to pull the heads to change the shitty lifters lol.
Which Gen 3 does t have to go this route?
rumblefish360 said:

I'm not a hemi man. I like racing and going rounds, and you have to build a mean hemi to beat a mean wedge.
I won’t argue that though I think pound rod pound the HEMI is better than a wedge engine. On a high end build that’s going rounds, HEMI!
Pulling those old fat motors apart all the time doesn't appeal to me.
What engine requires that? The super high stressed engine? That would apply to any engine and not anymore of 1 than the other. But at this level, I think we’re out of the solar system and not just off topic.
But back to day to day drive ability, of course the new little refined hemi is a hands down winner
Except the pull the heads for the crappy lifter complaint …..

IMO, the OE poster asked about his daily driver/hot rod modern HEMI choice being a good idea or not and I think it’s a good idea minus the two issues I wrote about.

….

IMG_6888.jpeg

My 440, will eventually get replaced with a Gen 3 HEMI, I’d like to build one, to get 426 ci.
Before I do, I will definitely upgrade the brakes.
I highly recommend updating the brakes, to match or exceed the performance of your swap.

I’m in favor of reliability and mpg.
Also, adding A/C, and a newer transmission.

I'm really happy with my G3 Hemi swap in my 68 Charger.
I also used the NAG1 5 speed auto with my swap.
As others have mentioned highlights are -
Fuel injection, great power and torque, fuel economy increase, ability to run alternative fuels (such as E85).
I run a Holley Terminator-X computer system for the Hemi and a Russell Drake PCS controller for the transmission ( PCS – Sound German Automotive ).
My car has an Aeromotive fuel tank with a Stealth pump and PTFE fuel lines with return.
I run my car on E85 full time and it makes great power! Plus E85 is much cheaper per gallon that standard pump gas. I get between 13-15 mpg around town on E85, but have seen it get 20 mpg on highway with pump gas (93) with my 3.73 gears.
TTI Exhaust makes the best headers for fitting this in your car and I run their 1-3/4" long tubes on mine with a 3" exhaust.
If you can, try to source a 6.4 Hemi for best overall power/torque. However the little 5.7 Hemi is what I have and works well ( I bought a wrecked 2006 Dodge Charger Daytona for my swap for only $1,250).
Good luck!
Ryan

IMG_9319.jpg

I swapped a 392 in my ‘70 Cuda with a Passion 4 spd OD and loved it. The response, quickness and reliability was worth every penny.

I would buy up everyone's 440's and 426 Hemi's once you are done with your Gen III swaps.
However, I don't think one person on this planet has swapped their Gen II Hemi car for a Gen III Hemi.

I suspect you already know the answer to your question and came here for validation, not that there is anything wrong with that but from the sounds of it you are not new to the car world and you already have an old and new example to compare.

All that said, I agree that there are reasons for and against both courses of action and ultimately its a personal choice. I have a 440 with EFI 6 pack in my 70 Challenger RT, a 416 stroker with EFI 6 pack in my 73 Cuda but I am putting a 5.7 into my 71 Charger but will put a 66 426 Hemi into my 70 Roadrunner but a 5.7 into my 68 Cuda... Different choices for different circumstances.

I will say that if you actually want to drive the car then go G3 Hemi for all the reasons you already are aware of.
Dude, I need wisdom on how to have 5 muscle cars.

Also, congrats on going full Mopar.. (?)

For us Europeans its curtains I'm afraid to say.
I have toyed with the thought of a new G3 hemi build but the 'Just stop oil' folks want them GONE!

So instead of a G3 hemi build its gonna have to be electric probably...
Or just wait for the new 455hp (electric) Charger?

dodge-charger-daytona-srt-.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 5.7 Hemi Challenger and a 5.7 Magnum AWD for my daily drivers.

If I ordered either car new and had the option of a 6.4, or an 542 aluminum RB with 270 trick flows and a MPFI, I would come home with the 542.

I did the Gen-3 change to my 70 `cuda. I would never consider putting an old engine back in it's place. It's so much lighter, faster, and quicker than any old-school engine would have been...plus gets 20-24 MPG on the highway at 80 mph. I'm running it with a NAG trans, and all the new-car electronics. Some editing to the computer eliminates the "nanny" stuff and fools other parts to appear working.
My new 300C has the 8-speed and feels very quick. However, it has all the "nanny" stuff and doo-dads. It needs the 8-speed, due to the weight. I still love it. I just did a 700 mile trip with it at 80-83mph, and it got about 22mpg.
it will probly drive better,get better mileage , good for longer trips , but definitly (not faster than any of the old school stuff) !!

I really feel a lot of people don’t realize that just because it doesn’t sound like an old wedge or maybe have the torque out of the hole that Gen3s are dogs…. Ride in one that’s all I gotta say.
my experiance with gen 3`s is , they are a big let down compared to the gen 2 hemi`s , unless they are supercharged ...

I have a 5.7 Hemi Challenger and a 5.7 Magnum AWD for my daily drivers.

If I ordered either car new and had the option of a 6.4, or an 542 aluminum RB with 270 trick flows and a MPFI, I would come home with the 542.
What was I thinking? 542 with 270 trick flows? Let’s make it a 572 and 500 cfm Indy Hemi heads.

Last edited:
I would go for a conversion if I drove the car as a daily driver but as an occasional out and about driver I would just work it over right and use the right parts to make it right.
I have a dozen B and RBs and If you build them with Fel Pro gaskets seal the threads where they need sealing and use a good sealer your garage floor will be fine no matter how you run them.
I have three in different stages of completion right now all components balance matched on a .001g drug scale and built to specs with everything no bore ‘‘em all to 30 over, each cylinder is bored and honed to the proper clearance for the piston for that bore, ring gaps to specs and stagger is same on startup for every cylinder.

Care in building and good quality parts makes a build.

I try to build pro stock engines for street cars to run for 100,000 miles of any type driving, If they get serviced as they have to be a lot more often than a stocker.
I am older now and just do my own and a select few friends

Herein lies the problem with a Gen-3 swap.
Would I ever get the use out of it?
Gas is so expensive in Europe its got to be a diesel engine.
50mpg (diesel) compared to 15mpg (gas) is huge difference.
You can get three times further with dirty diesels...
The next issue is 20mph zones in the Cities.
The problem is getting a high horsepower V8 to run that slow...:wtf:
Wow, who voted for this NET ZERO crap...:mob:

Auto Transport Service
Back