• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to decode a 727 transmission?

2204824 is the part number, but I don't have a listing for it. A part number that starts with 22 would be around 1962. The other digits are the trans. serial number, and it is a low number that would be built early in the1962 model year. The number started at 0000001 at the beginning of the 1962 model year. Add that up with the 61 casting date and I would say you have a 1962 transmission.

That would be great, a 62 engine and transmission. Based on other things I’m seeing I suspect this might be an original car. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
However, most of the 1962 trans numbers I saw began with 2400

Maybe early 62 or even 61’ then? This car was made at the LA plant. My understanding is that it was primarily just an assembly plant and all the parts were shipped there from locations to the east.

I believe the 61 was a separate tran from the bellhousing still? I am a bit rusty on that. I am using the blue 62 chrysler factory book, so that number should be in there,I will look again in the daylight!It definitely not in the 63 book, all those are start with 2400
what engine is it, and what model?

That number won't necessarily be in the parts book, as they sometimes superseded numbers to simplify the parts supply. I have a picture of an aluminum trans. with a 21 part number and a serial number of 0000007. It is a real early unit. The aluminum 727s were introduced for the 1962 model year, but the first ones were built in the 1961 calendar year. I am guessing yours was built in 1961 due to the early serial number. That is just my semi- educated opinion. The casting month and year should be on the main case, but that won't tell you exactly when it was built, but if it was cast in 1961 it is probably a 1962 trans.

Ok, so I got the numbers from the edge above the pan. They are:
2204824 0064199

Can't find that part number anywhere but 0064 is the build date September 30, 1961 and 199 is the sequence number.

Last edited:
Those numbers after the part number are not a10,000 day calendar date. That did not start until the 1968 model year. I did not dream this, I have been looking at the numbers on pre 68 transmissions for decades. The serial numbers on 62 to 67 were a sequential number that started at 0000001 in 62 and ended at over 4,000,000 by the end of the 67 model year. In the earlier years the trans serial number seemed to make sense as a 10,000 day date, as the above example shows. In later years the numbers were way out of sync, and by 66. 67 they were years out. As I mentioned I have seen a 67 trans number at over 4,000,000. They didn't build 67 transmissions in the 73 model year. I have never seen a 66 or 67 trans. that the numbers made sense. A lot of 65s dont make sense either, as well as some 64s I have seen

Those numbers after the part number are not a10,000 day calendar date. That did not start until the 1968 model year. I did not dream this, I have been looking at the numbers on pre 68 transmissions for decades. The serial numbers on 62 to 67 were a sequential number that started at 0000001 in 62 and ended at over 4,000,000 by the end of the 67 model year. In the earlier years the trans serial number seemed to make sense as a 10,000 day date, as the above example shows. In later years the numbers were way out of sync, and by 66. 67 they were years out. As I mentioned I have seen a 67 trans number at over 4,000,000. They didn't build 67 transmissions in the 73 model year. I have never seen a 66 or 67 trans. that the numbers made sense. A lot of 65s dont make sense either, as well as some 64s I have seen

i thought I read that the 10000 day calendar began in 1961?

The 10,000 day calendar that mopar started using on transmissions in model year 1968, started with 0001 on July 29th 1961. They may have used it for other things, but not on transmissions until 1968. The first 10,000 day date they used on a transmissom was 2164 or there abouts.

I would like to see an OFFICIAL source for the above info. Isn't it possible that they did build '67 transmissions in '73 for parts room replacements?

I have done a lot or research on the subject. If you want to question what I have found, then you should also do the research. I have a place that you can start. Find a 1967 727 that has the first four digits of the seven digit serial number that are between 1799 and 2163, which are the 10.000 day calendar dates for the 67 model year. If I am wrong, then it should be easy.

I am confused about the conflicting opinion. on a 1967 transmission the first seven numbers e:g 2801541 is the trans number. the next eight numbers are the 10,000 day calendar, and how many were made that day.
that should be it. So what are the digits behind that 1962 trans part number again? I lost track.

You just described a 1968 trans. Pre 68 only had seven digits and it was one number, not two four digit numbers. Nobody is disputing the 68 up format.The 67 down number was a sequential serial number only, as I have mentioned a few times.

after the part number 2801541 on my 67 the next four numbers matches the 10,000 day calender in the blue mopar book. and that calender date is is just a week before the Scheduled production date on my fender tag. everything goes together well, the car was built approx april 25th, 1967. the next 4 digits are 2088, for 16 april 67.the blue parts mopar book shows the 10,00 day calendar begins the first of july 1966 for 1967 models,,,,at 1799.I do have on the shelf a 65 transmission, so I will look at that to see if the numbers are a SON
Also, what I meant was the first four after the part number have a purpose, and the last three or four have another. and some of my transmissions have space between the series, and some don't.(sloppy stampers)
This information is to help out by the way, not to argue.Lol

i thought it would be good to clarify the above post.
We agree that July 29 1961 is the first day of the 10,000 day calender. with me and most guys here, we only are concerned with what those first four digits of that sequential number is, Being that is the birthday (day built)of that transmission. I don't care how many other wigits were born that day, only to better estimate and compare as to how close it is to when the car was made.
I think we are saying about the same thing. In my 69 Coronet I can say that the calendar date is right close with the spd. if I I didn't have the original still in the car, that is all that would matter to me.Lol

Screenshot_20211011-113756.png
Thank you for the info, it is interesting to me. Like most things chrysler they generally phased things in and out. In this case the transmission format changed in 1968, but your example proves they started a little early. The first of the two four digit numbers , is the 10,000 day calandar as everyone knows. It is the earlier transmissions with the seven digit number that do not have a date code. I have seen post 68 transmissions with a digit missing, but I' m not talking about them. The pre 68 units with a seven digit number do not have a digit missing. As I have mentioned before I do not look a one example or picture and form an opinion based on that. 30 or so years ago I noticed that the number afer the part number on my 66 trans, made no sense as a date code, I have been looking at trans numbers ever since, whenever I see one, or a picture of one. My trans had a 66 casting date and a 1970 build date if you applied the 10,000 day date code to the numbers. What is the chance of a 66 casting date housing being in a trans. plant in 1970. I have enclosed a picture of a 1967 trans. that shows the same thing. I have seen many more examples in the last 30 years, and yous is the only one i have even heard of with the two four digit numbers on a pre 68. The only thing that makes sense is to manufacture extra transmissions for the parts dept. while they are at it. If they run out they will sub up to another one that will work for the application. They are not going to dust off the 1967 blue prints and build a 67 trans in 1971.

hey R/T
I took some time and searched thru the other 2801 transmissions, and you are correct the seq numbers on those are no way a date code, they are way to high to be any 67. so I stand corrected! Your observations were correct.
my GTX is 2801541 3353342, so 28 sept 66 would be the 1885th day or so from 0001
Sorry about that!
Aint it a bitch to step in poop, and come out smelling like poop?
at least I was right on one thing, I do have a 67!

HAHAHA

045 - Copy.JPG

FWIW - I’ll add that my transmission is also Aluminun…

Not to beat a dead horse… found some more numbers on my transmission.
What was stamped on the left side above the pan was 2204824 0064199
The tail section was 2124859-1
On the left side of the case I found the number 212480 CO/CID under it and to the right is a circular figure that has I believe 12 segments with Braille type dots in most sections with a big ole 61 in the center. I believe confirming it’s a 1961 made case? And aluminum too.

Count the sections with dots in them and that is number of months into 1961 the case was cast. Six sections with dots is June 1961. Ten sections is October 1961, etc. It is a 1962 model year transmission

Auto Transport Service
Back