• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to tell if it is a true 69 Roadrunner

the 330 HP 383 was a 1971 motor due to emissions equipment in 69 H code is 383 4bbl 335 HP

I’ll respectfully disagree. 1971 introduced all kinds of evaporative modifications on all Chrysler engines. Even on my ‘70 Six Pack cars, by ‘71 the center carb had an evaporative hose on the fuel bowl. I had a ‘71 Scamp that had an extra tube in the trunk for gas vapors from the tank.

I’ll respectfully disagree. 1971 introduced all kinds of evaporative modifications on all Chrysler engines. Even on my ‘70 Six Pack cars, by ‘71 the center carb had an evaporative hose on the fuel bowl. I had a ‘71 Scamp that had an extra tube in the trunk for gas vapors from the tank.

Agree.... but for different reason. The 71 383-4 was downrated to 300 horsepower, not 330.

The library at Hamtramck Historical is a great resource for questions like this.

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1971/71_Satellite_20.jpg

Ok, everyone, without going off on all tangents... this is it: a Road Runner was a separate model with a VIN of "RM", and it was it's own separate model only from 1968-1975. Period. Case closed. NO OTHER CAR HAD A VIN OF "RM" , that is how you know it's a road runner. Period. And ONLY 1968-1975 on a B-body. Period. The later F-body volares had a "road runner" option package, there was no such thing as a separate road runner model after 1975. Period.

It should be on the drivers' side of the radiator support. It could be on the top or backside, between the top tank and the support, upside down or not. It can be lightly stamped and hard to see.
It's on the upper tie bar, on the engine compartment side.

They are all Belvederes. The second digit in the VIN is the price class. The trim level of the Belvedere.

First letter “R”= Belvedere.

All Road Runners (note: two words, not one) are model RM. This thing is so modified, that it doesn't matter what it is. It is a waste of skin. Enjoy it or don't.

All Road Runners (note: two words, not one) are model RM. This thing is so modified, that it doesn't matter what it is. It is a waste of skin. Enjoy it or don't.

Thats my thinking as well. But, before I put any money down I want to see the body stampings. If they dont match the vin tag and the title, then this might as well be a parts car. I cant make the trip to Vegas till after Christmas. If they still have it.

Thats my thinking as well. But, before I put any money down I want to see the body stampings. If they dont match the vin tag and the title, then this might as well be a parts car. I cant make the trip to Vegas till after Christmas. If they still have it.
Why bother checking the numbers? You already stated that it started life as a Satellite. IMO I wouldn’t get involved with a car with questionable numbers.

Why bother checking the numbers? You already stated that it started life as a Satellite. IMO I wouldn’t get involved with a car with questionable numbers.

It is at a dealer, they wrote the add description, and people make mistakes. Being a Road Runner or satellite does not really matter. The price they are asking for it, being an Indy Cylinder head built Hemi engine, convertible, with big brakes and a blower is not too bad. My concern is not how it was born, my concern is that the vin, title, and body numbers all match, and that big assed engine has not twisted the body. If the numbers match it is does not matter if it is a Sat or RR from the factory. If they dont, there is a problem with the car no one should get involved in.

It is at a dealer, they wrote the add description, and people make mistakes. Being a Road Runner or satellite does not really matter. The price they are asking for it, being an Indy Cylinder head built Hemi engine, convertible, with big brakes and a blower is not too bad. My concern is not how it was born, my concern is that the vin, title, and body numbers all match, and that big assed engine has not twisted the body. If the numbers match it is does not matter if it is a Sat or RR from the factory. If they dont, there is a problem with the car no one should get involved in.
It matters if it was a Satellite tagged and registered as a Roadrunner.

1969-plymouth-road_runner_resto_mod-528 Hemi CCC.jpg
View attachment 1205536

Is it just me or does it look like that 700+HP Hemi engine is starting to twist those 383 leaf springs apart right at the drivers side spring hanger.

Last edited:
HMMMMMMM ........ So how many members here have "documented" '69 Sat's that have a RM vin instead of RH .? Are there any "documented" Road Runners with RH vins instead of RM . My '70 RR was RM .... yes it was real .. nobody was gonna fake one in 1976 .

We are taking a drive to Vegas to see the car in person, and taking the trailer.

So, I bought the car. Trailered it home. The title actually says in the model field "ROAD R". Really? Did they not look at that before writing the add description. Better for me I guess. The underside is surprising. Got the car in the air, wiped down the underside, surprised to find the paint is as clean and shiny underneath as it is on the topside. Same in the engine compartment, it cleaned up very nicely.

The engine was making a lot of clatter and squealing noises. Found the blower belt tensioner was loose as a goose. The engine was idling way to low and ready to die. Removed the tensioner, cleaned it up and lubricated it, adjusted the idle speed and fuel mixture.

The engine oil was just changed according to the dealer guys. It is clean on the dipstick, but the oil pressure drops off when it gets fully warmed up. My guess is the dipsticks who changed the oil probably put generic 5w30 oil in it. I have some Driven 20w50 on the way from Summit, along with fresh plugs.

20220303_113925.jpg

So, I bought the car. Trailered it home. The title actually says in the model field "ROAD R". Really? Did they not look at that before writing the add description. Better for me I guess. The underside is surprising. Got the car in the air, wiped down the underside, surprised to find the paint is as clean and shiny underneath as it is on the topside. Same in the engine compartment, it cleaned up very nicely.

The engine was making a lot of clatter and squealing noises. Found the blower belt tensioner was loose as a goose. The engine was idling way to low and ready to die. Removed the tensioner, cleaned it up and lubricated it, adjusted the idle speed and fuel mixture.

The engine oil was just changed according to the dealer guys. It is clean on the dipstick, but the oil pressure drops off when it gets fully warmed up. My guess is the dipsticks who changed the oil probably put generic 5w30 oil in it. I have some Driven 20w50 on the way from Summit, along with fresh plugs.

View attachment 1250818
Could you post a picture of the leaf spring right at the drivers side spring hanger.

Auto Transport Service
Back