• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to tell if its a street wedge car?

mag162

Local time
12:46 PM
Reaction score
First question here on the site and its awesome here and need some help.
Looking at a 65 Coronet 500 convertible that the current owner says is originally a street wedge car.
How can I tell if its the real deal.
Car currently has a 440 in it.

AE1E6F2B-3295-4669-BBB4-B975BE944725.jpeg

Last edited:
The 426 street wedge cars had a front sway bar - which could have been removed for one of a couple reasons over the years. It should also have 11” brakes. I understand there should be an 80 under AB. Someone needs to verify that though.

My '65 Coronet post car had a very modified 426 wedge and 4 spd. It had obviously been a drag car for much of it's life. I have no idea what the fender tag said, didn't care. It did have a sway bar that I removed, but it had 10" drums all around. Others will know what is OEM.

There is no information on that tag, òther than what you already know. Red V/8 coronet 500 convertible with a black interior. Either the factory screwed up somehow, or that car has 0 options. You need some other factory documentation to confirm one way or the other. Broadcast sheet, IBM card, window sticker. The standard engine for that car is a 318 poly.

It appears that the tag is not completely filled in. Have the owner contact FCA and request a copy of the IBM card for the car although it might take a few months to get it. With that said it’s a Coronet 500 unless he wants big money for it I’d buy it and roll the dice.

a 440 is a wedge if you don't have original motor and the 440 is not put in with mount adapters it's probaly a big block car not unusual. unless your'e thinking a street wedge car is the same as a max wedge car

Auto Transport Service
Back