• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HP exhaust manifold verses Header comparison

How much ground clearance with the TTI and what diameter tubes?
Think 2 1/2. Not 3”. Good clearance. The psgr side collector has scraped speed bumps, but rarely. Polished Ceramics were 1k to the door. 10 years ago.

Who wants the weight of factory manifolds? With headers and an aluminum bell housing, the SQUAT actually changed.

Merry Christmas Everyone, My headers look awful, I've been thinking about getting cast HP manifolds and wonder about the difference in Horse Power. Also would anyone know the weight differences?
Cheers Everyone
Have you ever driven a new car, 1970-1972 BB? They were fantastic. Mopar did them right. The exhausts were done to put out the most HP they could. Then WE took off stock exhausts, put on headers, and never could get them to run as good as they did with stock exhausts. Headers are also a clearance problem. So unless you build your engine, why use headers. I no longer use them. But do what you want since it is your vehicle.

engine 1.jpg

Who wants the weight of factory manifolds? With headers and an aluminum bell housing, the SQUAT actually changed.

I would guess you drag race quite often or street race and trailer it to events more than 50 miles away?

I would guess you drag race quite often or street race and trailer it to events more than 50 miles away?
Just completed a 3000 mile road trip. Just don’t want anchors under the hood. Street car in the true sense.

So unless you build your engine, why use headers. I no longer use them. But do what you want since it is your vehicle.

Well I guess I am in the minority here because I am building a stroker engine designed to NOT use headers. As it is going to aluminum heads and intake will lighten it up nicely compared to what I am used too.

Well I guess I am in the minority here because I am building a stroker engine designed to NOT use headers. As it is going to aluminum heads and intake will lighten it up nicely compared to what I am used too.
Check this out. I put a 400 stroker into a 76 Aspen R/T with HP Exhaust manifolds. Better then headers.

Aspen a.jpg

Really great thread so far still hoping Andyf will join in on the discussion

What got me interested in all this was the FAST class racing and other types. Amongst many other things like bias ply stock sized tires etc you Must use stock type exhaust manifolds. Some of these guys are in the 10 second range I believe. They must look stock in most every way. I figured in my situation with my Fury trying to look and sound like a CUDA Wanna be racer is ridiculous as it is not keeping the car in it's character. This is a Big Boned Gal. She would be a Big Boned Gal in a mini skirt with stiletto heels,,,,,,,not good.

What got me interested in all this was the FAST class racing and other types. Amongst many other things like bias ply stock sized tires etc you Must use stock type exhaust manifolds. Some of these guys are in the 10 second range I believe. They must look stock in most every way. I figured in my situation with my Fury trying to look and sound like a CUDA Wanna be racer is ridiculous as it is not keeping the car in it's character. This is a Big Boned Gal. She would be a Big Boned Gal in a mini skirt with stiletto heels,,,,,,,not good.
Life is what you want out of it. I pull into car shows and heads turn. I sound mean, I look mean, I spend the day talking to people that love my car. I will sit beside any other MOPAR and the interest in my car is often more then theirs. WHY. LOOKS is the answer. I run a 318 with 160,000 miles. Get about 20+ MPG. Looks aggressive, but is not. LOOKs is the key. Check out photos. It is an automatic. Fools almost everyone.

RR hot1.jpg hurst.jpg

Looks really nice. 318 is a great engine for many reasons. I love the /6 as much. Nice job.

Beautiful car. I spent 20 years in Germany. I had three German friends that had 69 super bees. They always cruised together and came to car shows together. So impressive.

Looks really nice. 318 is a great engine for many reasons. I love the /6 as much. Nice job.
Mopar could not be beat in the old days. The superbirds ruled Nascar, Superstock Barracuda and dart ruled the strip. NO ONE had a chance against them. The rules were changed to stop MOPAR. A 1971 Superbird was made but was outlawed before it competed. Richard Petty had the 71 superbird. See his wind tonal test. Chevy cried and mopar died. But I will give it to Ford, they kept trying and did not cry.

As a MOPAR guy, your car is very nice. I would have different wheels, but your taste is what matters. I have seen several in Europe as I was there for about 20 years. I was a member of the German Mopar club. They have about 300 members with MOPARS.

It's all good buddy, taste is only what pleases you. As you get older what you think and like takes over gradually and you care less and less what others think. I could go further and say what I don't like and would prefer on your car but it doesn't matter as you like what you have. All the best to you.

Lets go back to the original poster, who hasn't been back since his first post. He complains about the LOOKS of his headers and is Thinking about getting some hp manifolds. To me, that means he doesn't have a problem with headers, only how his look.
Assuming he doesn't have manifolds, and assuming he has a 62, and assuming it is a big block, how much are hp manifolds? And are they going to fit? Where will he find them? Last i saw, hp manifolds for rr/super bee run around $500-$700. Then he has to get headpipes, etc. to hook them up. Right now sales can be found on new headers. I found a good brand for about $230, coated for $460, or a set of flowtech for $180.
I know what seems the most sensible and inexpensive to me.
Edit: if he actually has manifolds in hand, all bets are off. Then it is just his decision to make.

Auto Transport Service
Back