• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HP exhaust manifold verses Header comparison

Many things to consider and I agree with you. Good point. I guess we got carried away lol.

Yep Manifolds are pricey and even more so if you get them coated so they stay nice looking.
Still less trouble than tubes but rob some power. So let’s throw the new headman elite shorty
pipes in the mix. Anyone here have experience with them?

Year One makes some repo HP exhaust manifolds.

Shorties might be the way to go for those who dont like the loss of ground clearance with headers. I can't believe the shorties would be any worse for horsepower than the manifolds. Surely lighter, but possibly still all the drawbacks of headers, burned plug wires,loosening bolts etc.

Lets go back to the original poster, who hasn't been back since his first post. He complains about the LOOKS of his headers and is Thinking about getting some hp manifolds. To me, that means he doesn't have a problem with headers, only how his look.
Assuming he doesn't have manifolds, and assuming he has a 62, and assuming it is a big block, how much are hp manifolds? And are they going to fit? Where will he find them? Last i saw, hp manifolds for rr/super bee run around $500-$700. Then he has to get headpipes, etc. to hook them up. Right now sales can be found on new headers. I found a good brand for about $230, coated for $460, or a set of flowtech for $180.
I know what seems the most sensible and inexpensive to me.
Edit: if he actually has manifolds in hand, all bets are off. Then it is just his decision to make.
Just finished putting a 400 stroked BB into a 76 Aspen R/T. HP exhausts cost $150.00 and the exhaust shop cost us $120.00 to run them into the mufflers. So it is always up to the owner to decide. What do you want is the first thing to decide.

Aspen a.jpg Aspen 9.jpg

I think you got a helluva good deal on your manifolds. I haven't seen any here for anywhere near that price. There would be no need whatever to repop them if they were available everywhere for that price, they are repoped because they aren't.
Edit: so repops are on sale for $460, normally $500.
Re-edit: so headers- lighter, cheaper, more power, less under-hood heat. Your choice. Note ,i have one mopar big block with headers, and one with manifolds, and both are exactly the way i want them. I am not in favor of either, i am in favor of making your car the way you want it!

Last edited:
Lets go back to the original poster, who hasn't been back since his first post. He complains about the LOOKS of his headers and is Thinking about getting some hp manifolds. To me, that means he doesn't have a problem with headers, only how his look.
Assuming he doesn't have manifolds, and assuming he has a 62, and assuming it is a big block, how much are hp manifolds? And are they going to fit? Where will he find them? Last i saw, hp manifolds for rr/super bee run around $500-$700. Then he has to get headpipes, etc. to hook them up. Right now sales can be found on new headers. I found a good brand for about $230, coated for $460, or a set of flowtech for $180.
Edit: if he actually has manifolds in hand, all bets are off. Then it is just his decision to make.

I think you got a helluva good deal on your manifolds. I haven't seen any here for anywhere near that price. There would be no need whatever to repop them if they were available everywhere for that price, they are repoped because they aren't.
Edit: so repops are on sale for $460, normally $500.
Re-edit: so headers- lighter, cheaper, more power, less under-hood heat. Your choice. Note ,i have one mopar big block with headers, and one with manifolds, and both are exactly the way i want them.
I have found that there are a lot of HP exhaust around, but finding them is sometimes hard. It took me awhile to be accepted in my area by MOPAR guys. It takes alittle to be accepted if you are a new person in any area. Now they know me, accept me, I find good deals. The exhausts I got took me hours to clean. But worth it.

Yep, no complaints about the headers, other than the peeling paint that powdered off and grubbed up my spark plug socks. No leaks, no clearance problems. They just look crappy. I have to pull the engine in the spring to replace a leaky frost plug. l might just replace them. The cost of hp manifolds and the weight puts me off as well as the hp loss. Thanks for all the replies

For what it is worth, on a header test on engine masters, they compared coated verses uncoated. No change in power, but the temperature difference was staggering! Something like 200° verses 800°. Coated will look better and last longer. Worth the extra cost in my opinion.

That's a huge difference. I haven’t looked into it yet, but is this a factory coating or something a shop can do

I just put my 68 road runner manifolds on the scale
RH is 17 lbs
LH is 19 lbs

PS I turned down $400 about 10 years ago--some day they will be going on my 67 R/T

As others have said, there's benefits to both - but I can't stress this enough here.
If you choose headers, great - but spend the money to get GOOD ones and the truly
good fitting, well made quality pieces are well-known.
It's TTI or it's Doug's, pretty much.
For the love of all that is holy, don't go cheap on this. Life with 2nd tier headers generates
annoying situations that anyone shouldn't have to even worry about, but will.

As others have said, there's benefits to both - but I can't stress this enough here.
If you choose headers, great - but spend the money to get GOOD ones and the truly
good fitting, well made quality pieces are well-known.
It's TTI or it's Doug's, pretty much.
For the love of all that is holy, don't go cheap on this. Life with 2nd tier headers generates
annoying situations that anyone shouldn't have to even worry about, but will.
Well said Ed, I have the same ones you have.

Auto Transport Service
Back