• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust Manifold Treatment

bob32268

Local time
7:35 AM
Reaction score
What is a good product to use for treatment of exhaust manifolds to make them look like "new" cast iron?
I've been using VHT Cast iron paint, it looks nice but has a tendency to "burn-off" or discolor after about an hour or
so of driving. Does anyone make a better, long lasting product for this issue?
Tks,
Bob32268

they have 2 different VHT paints,which one are you using?

What is a good product to use for treatment of exhaust manifolds to make them look like "new" cast iron?
I've been using VHT Cast iron paint, it looks nice but has a tendency to "burn-off" or discolor after about an hour or
so of driving. Does anyone make a better, long lasting product for this issue?
Tks,
Bob32268
Did you blast them clean and then bake and cure the paint before install. I have over 3500 miles on mine now and still look fine...

I used VHT cast iron high heat paint and baked and cured it on my Barbeque per instructions on can. My wife doesn't let me use her oven any more. LOL

What these guys ^^^ said. Shake and bake. Shake the can, bake the manifolds.

A lot of guys on here don't like POR 15 products, but I bead blast my manifolds and use their cast blast brush on coating. Once the engine is cranked the manifolds will smoke and cure with the engine heat. The manifolds on my Superbird have been done for 23 years and still look as good as the day I first started the engine.
20230805_132512.jpg
20220505_154459.jpg

What he said above ^. Been using this for ten plus years and never had a complaint.

1A6F8D81-7725-44B3-96A4-FFCF87FD86B5.png
875A282D-FB39-4181-8168-8C489ADFCBC6.jpeg

A lot of guys on here don't like POR 15 products, but I bead blast my manifolds and use their cast blast brush on coating. Once the engine is cranked the manifolds will smoke and cure with the engine heat. The manifolds on my Superbird have been done for 23 years and still look as good as the day I first started the engine. View attachment 1520195View attachment 1520196
Thanks, your manifolds look great after all those years.
Bob32268

Correct, the VHT paint you used is block paint. It won’t take exhaust temperatures.

Auto Transport Service
Back