• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hydro boost brake conversion

GTXGreasemonkey

Local time
4:01 PM
Reaction score
I have a 68 GTX with drum all around. I currently have manual brakes and manual steering. I am ready for a front disc brake conversion. I am wanting to convert over to a hydro boost set up though. For the sake of not wasting money on parts I don't need i'm looking for help with purchasing everything needed to do this conversion. Here is a list of stuff I plan on purchasing. Please add to it. Thanks. FYI ,Trying to accomplish for around $600.

1. I believe I can leave the manual steering box and just add a power steering pump?
2. Disc brake conversion kit. Considering the Right Stuff manual kit on Summit. Which one is recommended, or is it a waste since I need a different master cylinder? Should I just buy everything seperate?
3. Pwr Steering Pump Pulley
4. What master cylinder is required?

I would not get the right stuff kit, unless you have a hemi. Call PST they have a good kit. As far as steering box does yours have the hose fittings? Otherwise no you will need to replace the manual with a power box plus get a pump, call firm feel. I got the RSD kit and hated the way the booster and master sat in the engine bay of my 69 RR so I got rid of the bracket and found a way to make it work using an adjustable pedal rod and clevit.

There are many conversion kits out there now, most all of them come with a GM booster! I am still waiting for a oem style bendix booster from summit.

the issue with getting those is back in the day you were charged a core charge, you went back tot the store and gave your old booster up they sent it back to the manufacturer who rebuilt it and sold it again as new. Well enter the digitL age and everyone shopping online and deciding it is cheaper to pay the $20-30 core charge then spend $60 shipping that old *** broken booster back, so now when we want one it's either $300+ or can't get it.

Surf the search box of this site you will see my post and others choose wisely!

p.s. The correct master cylinder for a disk front drum rear will have one small and one large bowl. Not both the same size.

Good info. Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you say not to go with the Right Stuff kit?

Are you planning to keep manual steering and add the power steering pump only for the hydro-boost? If that's the case then you have no reason to switch to power steering.

Yes I plan on keeping the manual steering. I think I can get away with purchasing a pwr steering pump and running the hydro lines? Is this correct? What Master Cylinder do you recommend?

I don't have anything against them at all as a matter of fact they were very helpful. But their kit as it looks OEM for the spindles, calipers, rotors and master cyc. the booster is not. When they show it on their site and say actual part may vary you tend to think the pic is generic and what you will be getting is at least factory looking. other than that there is nothing wrong with the kit, some people do not like the generic proportioning valve either. It works.

Had I done more homework instead of just making assumptions (assume abbreviation broken down = makes an *** out of u and me) I would have looked around more. I felt a little ripped off thinking I was getting a complete b body oem version of disc brakes when in the end the main part was not. PST now sells their kit with the (one of them) brake booster. I am still in line for the bendix booster so if it ever shows up I will make the swap.

Here is the link with my ordeal, updating it now. Learn from my mistakes not that I am any good at anything but at least it's info you can use if you want.
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...ght-stuff-detailing-booster-install-NEED-HELP!

I have converted many mopar cars to disc brakes in the last 30 years of owning & operating an auto repair shop--this is only MY opinion---keep your car all mopar--there are many kits in the 500 to 700 dollar range both power & manual brake setups--hydoboost is expensive GM parts that fail alot--I prefer manual disc brakes over power for several reasons--#1 is that my Hemi & Max wedge cars stop great with no power assist at all--#2--why clutter up your engine bay with parts that fail regulally--ie--boosters--p/stg pumps & hoses--do some research & shop alittle bit before you buy anything--Keep it simple & all mopar--its some of the best quality stuff on the market--need help then please reply in a pm & I'll help you free of charge--Im a master auto tech with 50 years experience & owned a performance shop over 30 years--my pleasure to help you find a great MOPAR system--just my opinion

Again thanks for the quick replies!!! Keep spitting the knowledge and opinions. I have been shopping around looking at all options available. I know this. My 4 wheel drum brakes will be changed to front disc very soon. From what i'm finding the Hydraulic Brake Assist Units are quite expensive. Here is one that I found: http://www.hydratechbraking.com/Mopar_B_Body.html
Its looking more and more like I may just do the disc conversion for now. I'll see how I like the braking after this and go from there. I appreciate the PST reference http://www.p-s-t.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7982/.f?sc=12
I've also looked at the MCB kit http://mattsclassicbowties.com/contents/en-us/d1638.html
Last i'm looking at The Right Stuff http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rsd-mdc62wkcz/overview/year/1968/make/plymouth/model/gtx
I think i'll have to order this MC with the Right Stuff kit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-m-83028/overview/year/1968/make/plymouth/model/gtx

I appreciate the help.

I went with manual disc / rear drum on my 69 RR. Like hemidon says, keep it all MoPar. The mid 70's luxury barges (like Cordoba) had 12" brakes and all that stuff bolts on. I got my front brake setup at a MoPar swap meet for $225.00 and all the parts were good. I do have some rebuilt pin style calipers and recently got the Ram Man big rotor brackets. ramman.com I believe. He has a ton of brake parts as well. I will note that I had to open up the caliper brackets about .015" to make the caliper fit, but that's easy on the mill.

Auto Transport Service
Back