• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I broadsided a truck!

Man that sucks!! Glad you're gonna be ok. I've also had a couple nice cars torn up because of other people. I can't stress how much I agree with Wagonman GET A LAWER!! last wreck I was in I waited until 4 days before the 2 year Statute of limitations ran out and still no offer from the insurance company on my personal injury claim. Every month they'd send me a letter saying they were still reviewing my case so with four days left I had to find a lawyer to take my case. If you get any decent lawyer I Guarantee even after you pay his fees you'll come out money ahead and it usually costs nothing for the initial consult.Thats two cents worth Good Luck
I'm sure you'll know what to do if necessary legally, important thing is you have to nurse yourself back to good health you can't go working on cars in the shape you're going to be in for a little while, and while you're healing don't lament about the car, these things happen it happened to me and it took a while to get over it but everything will come out just fine financially I'm sure , sounds like you had your own special motor in the car in that case if the insurance company totals it you'll get a chance to buy it back if nothing else to get your motor out of it but life is short as you just learned and I would nt spend the next several years restoring a car again get back behind the wheel of a badass Mopar time will heal

20180919_133423.jpg

I’m glad your alive and kickin. Maybe take the 50k and upgrade to a Hellcat. Their tons of fun and all the modern safety features. Rebuild the classic on the side.

I have a 66 coronet front clip with a 22" core support if you need it. Can ship!

Glad you are around to tell the story, sorry about your car.

if the insurance company totals it you'll get a chance to buy it back

HORSE HOCKEY!

Its your car! The insurance doesn't buy it from you! They cover the loss of value!
The buy it back thing is a scam run by insurance companies to reduce their payout!
They do not want the car. They have to deal with towing, storage and then auctioning off the hulk. That costs them.
If the car is a total loss they pay you the value of the vehicle. The title is in your name. Not theirs.

Driver door flung open on impact now it won't shut but passenger side opens and closes real nice
The post will have to be straightened out probably pulled forward and hinges for sure. The inner door shell might be over stretched as well. Those are repairable

If the frame gets pulled back forwards the post/lower cowl might move enough to correct that issue.

and no doubt when the door flew open it got bent.

if it twisted the post where the hinges mount , would could have to replace it . find a great vintage vehicle repair shop . they know what to do .

(manual brakes) couldn't stop in time and hit him broadside
The type of brakes (power assist vs non power) means nothing. Power brakes won't stop you any faster. It just requires less pedal effort.
That's what I thought! I could definitely switch to power brakes, but I don't see ANY problem or disadvantage to manual brakes, if anything, manual brakes have much better feel, and I certainly can lock up my wheels with manual brakes, but it's easier with them to brake closer to lock up without doing so because of the greater pedal travel and the tactile feedback.
To me, power brakes are too much like a light switch...on or off.

That's what I thought! I could definitely switch to power brakes, but I don't see ANY problem or disadvantage to manual brakes, if anything, manual brakes have much better feel, and I certainly can lock up my wheels with manual brakes, but it's easier with them to brake closer to lock up without doing so because of the greater pedal travel and the tactile feedback.
To me, power brakes are too much like a light switch...on or off.

A vehicle with power brakes can't stop faster than the same vehicle without power assist....

Better tires, better suspension, better friction materials, bigger drums and/or rotors all can effect stopping distance.

Anything that improves modulation or reaction to heat from continuous usage makes for better brake performance..

As can a better driver who can hit & maintain the threshold of traction...

This is actually the big advantage modern cars have... The car takes care of threshold braking & at the same time stabilizes the suspension keeping the vehicle weight planted on the tires...

I would delete where you said “hit him” and change your title. Insurance companies can be sneaky.

Glad to see you didn’t get hurt too bad.

if the insurance company totals it you'll get a chance to buy it back

HORSE HOCKEY!

Its your car! The insurance doesn't buy it from you! They cover the loss of value!
The buy it back thing is a scam run by insurance companies to reduce their payout!
They do not want the car. They have to deal with towing, storage and then auctioning off the hulk. That costs them.
If the car is a total loss they pay you the value of the vehicle. The title is in your name. Not theirs.

I had an insurance company report MY car to the Ca DMV as "salvaged" without even consulting me. Totally F'ed me over. NEVER let them take possession of your car. EVER.

If the insurance company totals the car, you should simply move on and buy another. I understand sentimental value, but unless it's a high dollar hemi car, I personally, I wouldn't want a car that was hit that hard and repaired. Plus, keep in mind that all that repaired damage will affect the car's value, especially if it is deemed to be totaled. However, if it price was right, you should consider buying it back for spare parts.

I would delete where you said “hit him” and change your title. Insurance companies can be sneaky.

Glad to see you didn’t get hurt too bad.

You have to watch saying "You hit a deer"! You have to say "The deer ran into me".

Point is the OP had someone pull out in front of him. They took his right of way. He wouldn't have had to use his brakes at all. It wasn't like when you're following someone too close and they slam on their brakes.

Hoping everything works out ok. Sad thing to see with any classic car.

Auto Transport Service
Back