• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I feel a story coming on...

And here I am after setting my alarm to get up bright and early just to read Ed's 3 a.m story. Nothing yet? :poke:
Apologies, my friend. This one is LONG and took several re-writes to do.
You'll see why, now that I've finally posted it.

Again, apologies for all spelling and grammatical errors I didn't go back and correct...
That story is such a monster that I'm afraid this frail website will dump the whole thing if I
attempt to edit it.

Maybe Ed your more or less put together with a freshness date similiar to canned food.....

Much Slower to expire then you think.:)

God bless you Ed...on your bucket list adventures and to do list...it was a good 6am read to start my day.

IMG_3690.jpeg

Coffee in hand, rocker below a fan, Lab dog laying peacefully, it’s a beautiful morning on the hill. Excellent writing Ed.

Most of us will never know when that day will come, thank God. My brother, is my big brother, he's 7 years older and avoids death at all cost. Doesn't like looking at it or talking about it. Although he takes care of business, the thought of it brings him down, so to speak. My parents and son and the dozen or so other family members on both sides fell on me, mostly, to start and finish the process. My parents knew that I was more sentimental than my brother and my dad insisted that they'd be buried where I could take care and remember them. Why me, my eyes tear up just thinking about it. My brother has always been there for them and me, hell, we share a bucket list farm together. It's my job, I guess. He has said to me, that life, in a very sad way, toughened me in ways that are truly not fair, but, I grew up pretty quick, emotionally anyway, in the last 15 years. I have mentioned many times that I've been on a downsizing mission. Selling houses to get to that sweet spot that anyone could take a broom to and sweep out the door. Here recently, I have given money to family friends that are like my own kids, and were friends to my son. I love them very much. After my son passed away, they never left, I look over my shoulder and there they are. None of their family knows about the money and I made it perfectly clear that it remain that way. I not born in family, I'm an add on. I'm not there to steal a spot or to make someone feel that they aren't doing as much, or whatever. Like taking care of my stuff, my things that are left, including money, has been taken care of. I've got my place in order and no notice of my demise will be published. Like you, some things like our hearts are soft and some are like cold rolled steel, can't help it. I have made it my mission to go out on my own terms and not leave a thing undone. No regrets that I can fix now. Unlike our cars, life has no reverse, so we all just mustard forward to the unknown, hopefully, day of wreckoning.............................. You did good and thanks for sharing!!

Great read. I am glad you have found the calm we all seek as we near that closure of the circle of life. May you have many years left yet to enjoy with that calmness..
In the end it is just you and our Our Maker. We all know it, but not every soul will admit it.

Well done, Ed, both your mission, and your written story. In my early professional life, I found the vast majority of folks are content to "leave a mess" at the end, as a result, I think well of those who choose to travel the other road. Four years ago, out of the blue, an Ancestry hit on my daughter's profile brought four generations of my biological family tree to light. She did the heavy lifting, to the point of stalking people, visited the grave sites, obtained the documents. I put together a life summary I forwarded to my biological mother for her information, never made contact, but no surprises or regrets there. All my unanswered questions resolved, glad it happened, glad it's done. Good for you.

Man Ed…what a tug on the old heartstrings. But as expected with you sir. I admire the hell outta you and thank you for sharing in such detail. Your story challenges me to say the least.
It makes these two sentiments ring louder and truer than ever:
1) Don’t wait until tomorrow to do what can be done today.
AND
2) “Tomorrow” is a dangerous word because it too often can lead to “never”.

I will do all I can to NOT have your story be in vain in my life. I will undoubtedly share your story with others be assured.
And very likely starting today as I’m on a road trip with our two daughters.

God bless you and your family Ed.
And thank you.

Nice Ed, I like the retraced road trip.
Planted some ideas you did.

Thank you everyone for checking in so far - it's very gratifying to know at least some took the time, you know?
As a bonus for checking back in now and seeing this post, I'll toss in an "extra", in fact:
The trip had been one of those things I put off for quite a while -you can probably figure out why, given the
nature of the "finality" of it and all - so that leads to the question my wife asked me when I told her it was
time to do it:
"Why now, exactly?"

Simple....and the part that freaks some folks out or makes them want to call me a liar....
I was once again sent. Marching orders were given and I knew the moment I got them, there was no
refusing; it was time to go.
So we did. :thumbsup:

Life is like a box of chocolate. When it is done it is. Thanks for the story and still visit some grave sites like my grand Pa. and others. Place a flag on my father in-laws when we visit. Still visit my childhood home and other place where we hung out as teens. :thumbsup:

Ed,dont be stressing the miss out. The Big Man upstairs has plans for you. 1 of his plans is me coming up to the hill and meet you. :thumbsup:

Ed,dont be stressing the miss out. The Big Man upstairs has plans for you. 1 of his plans is me coming up to the hill and meet you. :thumbsup:
Eh, like I said - I'm actually in a place of a sort of weird (for me, anyways) peace now.
Maybe that was His goal, I dunno.
Wouldn't that be something, our visiting? What a hoot. :)

Ed,what can I say? Life is what you make of it, you have done well now enjoy the ride and relax . Spend time with those you love and do what you love. Never stop living.. Life is good..

Auto Transport Service
Back