• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Finally Did It.....EFI

I got my new Denso alternator installed today. Bolting it up was a matter of adding some spacers between the brackets and alternator. Original brackets were un modified.
20210104_160041.jpg

I have a 3 prong plug for the alternator lost in the usps abyss so I plugged the wires in directly. The blue sense wire goes right to the battery. The ignition + goes to the old green wire.
Screenshot_20201227-103550_Chrome.jpg
20210104_160120.jpg

And I gutted my VR. I welded the two terminal ends together and epoxied them onto the non conductive pad and zip tied them for extra insurance.
20210104_150811.jpg

20210104_151133.jpg

Fired it up and will hold 14.3v cold, in P or D. Headlights on, 14.3v. Seems to work just fine. It's nice to not have the headlights dim at idle. :)

I'll get it out today and see if that cleared up some of the fuzziness on the data logging.
20210104_153306.jpg

I didn't get any data logs on it but I swear it drives much better. The alternator mod is holding 14.3v so the car idles much better and feels smoother from a stop. More consistent. The turn signal switch works very well too.

Totally Modern.... Some would complaint "It lacks the personality of an old car...." I'm not part of that group...

That's great to hear! What rpm are you running at idle? Is your alternator holding voltage at that speed? Thank you

That's great to hear! What rpm are you running at idle? Is your alternator holding voltage at that speed? Thank you
880 rpm
The voltage at 880 rpm with my old alternator was around 12.4v. New alternator hols 14.3v at 880 rpm.

I may do this on the beater truck! Especially that it fits stock brackets!

Well, I got real good at taking the gas tank out. :BangHead:. Worked to get the new ptfe line and fittings in. The engine side went smooth. This hose is very east to work with and no issues.
View attachment 1047406 View attachment 1047407 View attachment 1047408 View attachment 1047409 View attachment 1047410

Had a ton of issues on the 1/4npt to 6 AN feed line from the tank mount to the hardline. Kept leaking. Pull it down, take it off, repeat. Pulled out my magnifying loupe and checked the weld for a crack. It was tight tight. I even ran my npt tap into the mount and tried again. No dice.

Finally pulled it, put in the brass barb that I took out and no problems. Has to be the fitting I bought from Summit. The return side is sealed.

I smell like gas.

That bastard on the right...
View attachment 1047411 View attachment 1047412

Brass fitting seals fine. Does the Summit fitting look like npt or straight thread?
View attachment 1047413
I know I'm late on this, but that may be a bulkhead fitting (straight this).
And although l buy a lot of stuff from summit, I would never buy their house brand for anything critical.

I know I'm late on this, but that may be a bulkhead fitting (straight this).
And although l buy a lot of stuff from summit, I would never buy their house brand for anything critical.

That was my thought initially. It just wouldn't seal no matter the amount of sealant nor how tight it was. The brass fitting went right back in, same sealant, and has been leak free. Definitely an issue with the Summit fitting. I'm leaving the efi hose in there until I HAVE to pull the tank. I'm just glad to be past it.

Are you still running a PCV valve with the EFI? If so, you should look into removing the valve and replacing it with a fixed orifice. Basically just gut the PCV and fill it with epoxy and then drill a small hole thru it. Or use a GM fixed orifice PCV valve. EFI doesn't play well with a PCV valve so it will cause you problems eventually if you don't get rid of it.

SWEET!!!! So if I'm reading that right you're only at 70% of max the system is capable of? Room for more HP!

Auto Transport Service
Back