• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need advice for my rear end.

belvedere 67

Local time
2:00 PM
Reaction score
I want to change out the gears in the rear of my belvedere. I don't know the exact ratio but I'm guessing around 4:10? I do like that it's got posi but I'm getting 3000 rpms around 55 mph. I've never changed out gears and I've heard it can be a challenge. Would it be easier to replace the whole rear end or just the gears? Thanks

At first, the wise guy in me wanted to reply something like, "Preparation H" after reading the title of your post.

It's easier to replace the center section (AKA pig, chunk, third member, etc.) if it's a DIY project. Especially, if you don't know what you're doing. Or, you can buy the gears and have a shop change them out then you put them back into the car.

I bought a new 489 case with 3.55 gears from Doctor Diff since I was replacing an open 741 case with 2.76 gears.

http://www.doctordiff.com/8-3-4-489-case-third-member.html

Pull the center and take it someone with experience. Not a do it yourself project. I've done quite a few axles, it's an art form
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back