• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need to add lube to my Mopar manual steering gear?

493 Mike

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:58 AM
Reaction score
What is everyone using in the aluminum manual box? Evidently they are to be packed with a type of grease during rebuilding but, I find no recommendation for any "grease" in my FSMs. The early (60s) manuals recommend adding 90W gear oil while the later manuals say NO oils and are filled for life but, we know the factory had no idea how long "life" would be.
Mike

If you are rebuilding it.
If you are not it's still compatible with what's in there.

upload_2021-5-5_20-18-57.jpeg

Use John Deere corn head grease. It works very well in that application.

Back in about 1981 when I dis-assembled mine as part of the Charger restoration, the factory spooge resembled pig lard. It had pushed away from some of the bearings causing them to fail. Fortunately back then all new rebuild parts could still be ordered from Ma Mopar. Not wanting a repeat of the lube starving, I filled the newly rebuilt box with SAE 90 (as per the FSM) and it has been fine ever since. Now some of the previously mentioned specialty greases may work just fine as well, but just relaying my personal experience.

The Corn Head grease is a 0 spec grease that pretty much turns to liquid from the heat of the engine. Is what boxes were filled with when built, 0 grease. The FSM maintenance notes 90W oil. This is for top up only and probably to emulsify old grease. I too filled my freshly rebuilt Bee steering box with 80W90 not knowing any better. It likes to weep out around the big adjuster and it's giant lock nut.

Recently from a reference in FSM 67 Belvedere for correct manual box lube but also stated if unavailable to use a a multigrade lube , but when I originally cleaned up my box not knowing also used gear oil , never a problem very little seeping , but recently purchased a replacement box and it’s filled with a thick clear lube and is a 16to 1 and very hard to turn ! Just my experiences ! Will ck FSM for info and get back so you can read !

864676B4-7C5A-49AE-89CA-8F0B41333EE6.jpeg
Back in about 1981 when I dis-assembled mine as part of the Charger restoration, the factory spooge resembled pig lard. It had pushed away from some of the bearings causing them to fail. Fortunately back then all new rebuild parts could still be ordered from Ma Mopar. Not wanting a repeat of the lube starving, I filled the newly rebuilt box with SAE 90 (as per the FSM) and it has been fine ever since. Now some of the previously mentioned specialty greases may work just fine as well, but just relaying my personal experience.

I’m sure what ever you guys used is fine , I to used gear oil and never had a problem but as was said a small amount of seepage, but FYI in 67 FSM on page 19-6 right hand middle of page, it says this , not a big deal I’m sure!

Mine has been in there for nearly 40 years with no issues nor seepage. Also have used gear oil in quite a few others over the years. I'll have to check the '69 FSM. That is what I followed when I originally rebuilt mine.

Like I said, when originally redid my 67 manual box also used gear oil , never a problem, even one suggestion said lube he used got thin when hot ! Looked it up , John Deere , corn head grease!

Auto Transport Service
Back