• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the words of Joe Dirt... I'm New!!!

MBB7

Local time
7:09 AM
Reaction score
Just bought my first classic a 73 Charger... and less than a week later I have already messed something up. Got black exhaust on my rear fender... The car has new Challenger tips so they're close to the fender. But it wasnt until I gassed up did I see the black build-up.

So two questions. 1. Did I put in the wrong grade? Shell 93?
2. how do I removed the black from the fender...

Many thanks in advance.

s-l500.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new addition!

Thanks for posting pics of that beauty.....

sharp looking car and hello from s carolina,nothing wrong with your gas. Maybe your running rich,soap and water should wash it of.

sharp looking car and hello from s carolina,nothing wrong with your gas. Maybe your running rich,soap and water should wash it of.

OK today was the first day I took it out on the highway and dealt with some traffic maybe that lead to it. I was shocked to see it when I got home. I didnt see anything the first few times I took it out.

Welcome from the show me state!!

Just bought my first classic a 73 Charger... and less than a week later I have already messed something up. Got black exhaust on my rear fender... The car has new Challenger tips so they're close to the fender. But it wasnt until I gassed up did I see the black build-up.

So two questions. 1. Did I put in the wrong grade? Shell 93?
2. how do I removed the black from the fender...

Many thanks in advance.

View attachment 770850 View attachment 770851
Welcome from Finland...amazing beauty you have....l have a 73 Charger SE Brougham...love it...drive carefully

Welcome from Michigan. Nice car you have there. Are we sure that is a 73 in the pic? Just asking.....:rolleyes:

Welcome from Vermont! Great looking ride too. Run your finger through the black crap and smell it/ feel it. is it exhaust from running rich or is it oily from worn valve seals/rings?

Welcome from Vermont! Great looking ride too. Run your finger through the black crap and smell it/ feel it. is it exhaust from running rich or is it oily from worn valve seals/rings?

It's running rich. I have a Holley 770 in it thinking that I just may need to make an adjustment there. It's just pissing me off that it kinda showed up over night, the two test drives and driving it earlier this week showed nothing.

Welcome from NH. Very nice ride. I’m pretty sure I saw you on 95 South as I was heading home. It definitely caught my eye.

Welcome aboard from Ohio. Probably a little rich(choke not opening all the way?).

Auto Transport Service
Back