• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Indy EZ-1 heads

1969CoronetR/T

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:57 AM
Reaction score
The engine for my R/T (440 cid) is back from the machine shop and I seem to have two problems. My old aftermarket cylinder covers do not fit anymore. The gap to sit in the heads to big tall and a gasket will not seal correctly. I ordered a set from Hughes Engines from Indy, who have terrible customer service, and the guys at Hughes (very nice) assured me that any big block cylinder covers should fit. Also, would my 3" TTI headers fit with the spark plugs coming out of the heads at the angle that they exit? I had my set re-coated in ceramic and went to pick them up today, but the guy never showed to open his powder coating shop, wasting two hours of my day.
Thanks.

I'm sorry, but I do not understand the term "cylinder covers".

can you clarify what it is your actually talking about ??

Sorry, I had just come back from running and my brain was scattered for the cold. I am talking about cylinder head valve covers.

Just a suggestion, I bought a set of 906 Aerowheads from Indy a few years back. I never thought of looking at what kind of freeze plugs they used. They used steel and now they have rusted through and I am replacing them with brass. They don't allow antifreeze to be used at the track, incase you have a leak on the track, and it never gets that cold out here. A lot of labor for a $2 part. Freeze Plug repair 012.jpg

i think there is an issue with some valve covers not fitting the gasket flange on alum heads very well. an example would be my mopar performance stamped steel valve covers didn't fit my edelbrock heads. the gasket flange machined on the head was too wide. i did end up getting some cheap summit chrome covers that fit well but the heads gasket flange is still is a little tricky to seal up.

the angle plugs on the edelbrock heads work nicely with the 2" tti headers. in fact it's easier to change the plugs vs the straight plug iron heads.

Thanks, the exhaust headers are listed as compatible with the EZ-1 heads. I will have the machinist mill down the lip of the valve covers to make them fit.

I know what you are talking about on the valve covers as I used the stock type at first on my EZ heads and I had to grind some of the outer lip that is about 1/8" deep so the gasket will sit in there and line up the bolt holes. But later I bought these covers from "Mancini" and they work great as they have no lip because they are flat on the bottom where the gasket goes just like the cyl head is. I bought the Moroso blue valve cover gaskets that are a rubber coated steel insert and they can be used over. It works great like that with two flat surfaces and the rubberize coated steel insert valve cover gaskets. No leaks at all.
I also use 2" TTI headers with my EZ heads and the wires fit on the plugs gear with plenty of room for the plug wire boots with the angled plugs. In fact I think the angled plugs on the EZ heads have more room with the plugs angled. Ron

100_2250_zps5ae10b59.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the valve covers on my eng and you can see how the plug wire boots have plenty of room and the headers are 2" TTI"s. Ron

100_2346_zps61e6d324.jpg

Thanks, Ron. The valve covers look great on your engine. The engine builder did notice that the two sets of valve covers I have the lip interferes with the gasket. I ordered a third set this time from Indy. I will have to put my old ones on ebay and see if the the Indy ones are flat on the bottom lip.

i haven't messed with indy heads in some time but i think we used the indy cast covers without issue.

i haven't messed with indy heads in some time but i think we used the indy cast covers without issue.

You know this just made me remember my brother uses these Indy valve covers on his 511 (400 stroker) and he uses the same blue Moroso valve cover gaskets as I do and I know they wont work good on a stock type valve cover with the lip on them so they work good on his eng with the Indy valve covers so they should work fine for you on yours. Here is the Indy valve covers he uses. Ron

409934956.jpg

The Indy valve covers should be here on Tuesday and hopefully have the engine installed on the dyno by Christmas. The only thing about the engine build I do not care for too much is the external damper he put on the engine. He was worried about the high RPM's (4.10 gears) and the possibility of it scattering even though it has a forged crank. It is stroked to 496" and he claims it should easily pull over 600 horsepower on his chassis dyno.

externally balanced dampner?

- - - Updated - - -

600hp at the rear wheels is easily 700hp at the crank. stock main caps would scare the bejeebies out of me at that power level,

I have to ask him about the main caps, but he built it strong for racing. I am not sure if he means 600 HP at the rear wheels or 600 HP at the crank. I assumed he meant at the crank since he never explicitly said 'at the rear wheels'. It hit 400 HP on his dyno two years ago with stock heads so I am happy with 600. It will have more horsepower than my Jeep SRT now. The brakes may need updated to disc, but funds are running low.

Do you know what balancer he used on your eng ? I can tell you I use this "Pro Sport" balancer that I bought from Mancini and its made in Austrailia. It has been on 2 of my engines and one of them since 2006 with never a problem. They are SFI rated to something like 18,000 RPM I believe. My eng in my 63 that its on makes right about 600 flywheel hp. I use billet steel main caps with ARP studs and they have been holding up very good for 3 years so far. I went with steel main caps instead of aluminum since my car is 99% a street car. Ron

400218977.gif

I am dropping off my exhaust headers on Saturday since the guy re-plating them never showed last week. I have to ask him about the mains, but I do know he is using ARP bolts. The external balancer (?) is black and is graduated as far as I remember seeing. The heads are on the engine already so I will see if he noticed if the freeze plugs were steel or brass.

Your motor looks great, sounds great!

Very Nice! You'll have fun with that for sure!

Auto Transport Service
Back