• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Insurance for a real weekend classic driver ?

In 2003, a tornado destroyed my shop and totalled my house. Oh, and every vehicle I owned was damaged or destroyed. My classics were with Hagarty. My drivers were with USAA. Hagarty had an adjuster out within 72 hours of the call to them. All four of my five classic cars were looked at closely, and I had a check in my hand for all four 72 hours after that! Plus, I was able to keep the four, so that was very painless...well, the process was. Seeing my trashed cars and truck was not painless.

USAA...well, I will always be their best NEGATIVE spokesman! My Cummins Dodge D3500 had the bed completely destroyed, two windows busted out, and the camper disintegrated. They were going to total it, until I found a complete bed for it that only needed to be color-matched. The Cummins was fixed in about a month's time, pretty easy, but just a bit time-consuming. My other daily truck was a '70 F-250 my Dad had for several years. I was the third owner. Beautiful truck that I had appraised just two months prior for $8K. It was absolutely bent like a pretzel! So, what did USAA offer me? A whopping $2,300 and change. Here, just kick me in the balls already! I told them to stuff that in their *** and I'd be expecting a check for the appraised value of $8K. Four months later, we are in arbitration before the State Insurance Commission. I showed them over 150 pictures of the before and after, and how ignorant their appraiser was concerning vehicles (he claimed a color change and "missing air conditioning" (truck never had it, ever!) hurt the value of the truck.) They told USAA that they were in the wrong, and to write a check on the spot for $7K and I keep the truck. Once the check cleared, I cancelled USAA before they could do that to me.

Hagarty good. USAA ******* horrible.

They promise you everything to get your name in their company billing system. But when it's time for them to hold up to their end of the deal...they never heard of you.

Bought a 62Plymouth wagon. I plan to drive it most weekend to our campground (70 miles round trip) from May till mid October. For those of you that drive your old car to more than just ("Hobby, car shows , club events, etc." ) How are you insuring them. I have Chubb classic insurance for other cars that( almost never leave the garage) , and I'm tired of cars that I never drive. That's why I bought the 62 Plymouth as a real weekend/ every weekend during the summer vehicle. I have Allstate for my daily everyday car.
Try Haggerty that what i have

Bought a 62Plymouth wagon.
Let's see that wagon!
PB070088.JPG

Hagerty good. USAA ******* horrible.
I'll never recommend USAA either.

I had USAA for nearly a decade, ever since I started driving. First time I ever had a claim (last Jan) they tried to total my car and offered me hardly anything for it. I have an 01 BMW M3. My idiot neighbor managed to back into it while pulling out of his driveway. Hit the car right where the rear quarter and door meet. USAA offered me 4.8k for the car (or 2.3k if I kept the car). I could have sold it with the dent for that much. I could get that out of the engine and trans alone. No way I could find a manual M3 in similar condition (let alone same color combo) for 4.8. They were willing to adjust the price if I could find an example being sold by a dealer within 50 miles of my location. Naturally, every dealer with a similar year M3 (had to be within two years, then they changed their mind and said must be within one year) was more than 50 miles away. None of them were similar enough in mileage anyway (they wanted within 10k).

The day I talked to them, I checked NADA and Kelly. The book value was 7.3k. The day after they made the 4.8k offer, the sites changed... to 5k. It's ridiculous. Sure, it's a 20 yr old BMW but its not some basic 325. Fortunately, Farmers offered to simply repair the car and sent me a check instead. Didn't quite cover it but I can live with that at least.

For this service, I was paying 770 every 6 months. That rate was barely lower than when I was a teenager. I recently swapped to Progressive and got a better plan with lower deductibles plus custom parts insurance for 550 every 6 months. Once the weather is good enough to ride my motorcycles daily I'll swap the M3 over to Hagerty like my Cougar and Satellite long as they don't mind the occasional drive to work.

Last edited:
I have State Farm for all of the cars and daily drivers but looking at options for the Collector cars.

I've seen usaa pay a $38'000 repair on a porshe without batting a eye when it was the kids friend driving but want to haggle and use Chinese aftermarket parts on a chevy to save $300 bucks, it's usually all the adjuster your having your probem with and the more you react the dumber they get

Some of the companies get real tricky when the do a total. You need to make sure they reimburse you for what it costs to replace the vehicle with like condition driver. Some of them will go by low blue. The worst go for salvage value as in what it will bring at the Copart auction.

that's why you insure a value on your car there is no book value , and if they want to total you choose to retain salvage that way you get paid out and for like a thousand bucks you get your car full of all those great parts too . We were talking insuring our mopars not our foreign shitbox's

rustytoolss: First, just to keep the thread going, I've had Hagerty insurance, with the "Drivers Club" option, for years. No claims so far. The law changed here in Michigan recently, so now you have options when it comes to the level of "Personal Injury Protection" and "Bodily Injury" coverage (and cost).
Second, I love your wagon! That's way more than a parts car. I'd drive it as is; plus you've got factory options. Mine has a heater, lights, and a MAACO paint job. This is what I started with:
P7250002.JPG

rustytoolss: First, just to keep the thread going, I've had Hagerty insurance, with the "Drivers Club" option, for years. No claims so far. The law changed here in Michigan recently, so now you have options when it comes to the level of "Personal Injury Protection" and "Bodily Injury" coverage (and cost).
Second, I love your wagon! That's way more than a parts car. I'd drive it as is; plus you've got factory options. Mine has a heater, lights, and a MAACO paint job. This is what I started with:
View attachment 1082316
yeah, their all not pretty when we buy them. Your's shows how mine will look in the future. Maaco I've though about that myself.

Lets also talk about Historical Plates. In Ohio you are only to drive to club events, repair places yadayada yada, etc but not for general usage. I sure would like to get Historical plates ($50.00 one time) but not sure it's a good idea. As I've said before, I plan to drive the wagon May-October each weeend to our camper (70 mile round trip)

I have authentic ('62) Michigan plates, but the same restrictions apply to both here. Neither plate is intended for daily use. Our state law specifies car club events, parades, car shows, cruise nights, etc., along with "mechanical testing." That's the excuse I'd use if I got pulled over, but I'm not sure it would be accepted. I carry a copy of it in the car, just in case.

One advantage of an authentic plate is that there's a one-time registration fee of $35 and it never expires, unless the car is sold, scrapped, etc. Some of my fellow car club members use standard plates and pay the costs so they can drive their classic anytime, just to avoid any hassle from the police.

The state finally realized how much money is generated from the Woodward Dream Cruise, so the law also states that during the month of August you can drive your classic anywhere, anytime, regardless of the type of plate.

Either way, check your state/local laws and insurance policy. Buyer beware and "your results may vary."

My "restification" was done as a driver on a fixed income, so when I got paint quotes from $7-$10k, MAACO was about my only option, other than myself. I did do a lot of the prep. work, mostly disassembly. They mixed the factory '62 Pale Jade color (base/clear) and let me take pictures during the process. The engine bay, door jambs, and wheels were extra. Of course, it all comes down to who's holding the spray gun that day.

Just got an email with my Hagerty renewal. Premium dropped amazingly, about 3% from last years. The Dart, on an agreed $55,000 Cdn value, is only $306/year. That's 50 dollars less then I pay on 2 x 31 year old sleds, worth 3 grand, that didn't even get run this year! ( I goofed in an earlier post stating $198/yr, that was the amount for the months left on my policy Nov to May when I put coverage on it)

Total premium for my cars ($355,000Cdn in agreed value), including the $55 Hagerty club (tilt and load service/magazine/etc) and $40 Hagerty rep fee, taxes in = $2269Cdn ($1790US). Wife and I pay more than that for my Truck and her '17 Challenger.

There lots of reasons for the wide range of prices, but how a company services you when asked is the bottom line.
In my case Hagerty dropped the ball with me, and also raised the prices for no reason.
I had them three years until 2014, then found Infiity Insurance. they were 25% lower than Hagerty with the same coverage.That was fine until Hagerty bought them out!
So They had to keep the same prices, which they did for one year. then the rates went up again. I got to use my Independent agent thru the deal, but now she secured a very good policy with American Modern. The price went down 20% again.

The ball they dropped was in April 2014, when I was driving my 69 GTS to town, when The car developed a loud clatter while heading to the gas station.

I then called for flatbed service per my policy. The guy on the phone assured me a truck was on the way. An hour later, no truck, another phone call. Two hours later, no truck, another call. three hours later, another call. no truck.
This was 4:00 in the afternoon on a sunny day.Finally a regular tow truck shows up, and I say: what the hell is that? my Car will not go on the back of a tow truck!
The driver said he was the only truck available based on what Hagerty pays for a tow. So no flatbeds would come according to what hagerty was paying them.

So I finally reached my Son and he came to babysit the car. Then I got my son-in-law too give me a ride home to get my own truck and trailer and go back and get the car.

The best part was: I called Hagerty to complain, and they said what calls? We have no records of the calls This was about the time the policies had come due so I was steamed, so the policies expired.
Then, after two months I called them to renew because I had too much work to deal with looking for another company. . They said I had a late fee, plus retroactive pay the policy back to the expiration date. I asked why, since the car wasn't covered? He said: that is our policy. I told the person to F---- off, and went to Infinity.
I have to thank a FBBO member living in Woodlands Texas that led me to infinity, then to American modern.
They covered all my cars, and both classic Bikes for 75% of hagerty prices.
Plus, I cancelled all my towing policies on all my drivers and classics, and bought AAA. 120 a year, and they will tow any of my cars at any time, with a smile!

Plus,last summer I locked the keys to my truck in the truck, in a little town near the wyoming border at 10:00 PM, and at 2:00 in the AM a driver showed up from 70 miles away and unlocked it no charge! They are a great company!

Hagerty is toast to me. You don't lie to a customer,,,,,and a $25,000 dollar car sitting in the driveway of a Cubbies for four hours is unacceptable!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back