• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intake hood clearance problem

coronetchad

Local time
12:31 PM
Reaction score
I'm in need of proper advice & help please! I have a 68 coronet 440 w/440, auto. 3:91 locker. I'm wanting to upgrade from factory iron intake to edy 7193 intake & edy 14073 carb. I have a factory flat hood with twin scoops and I dont want to waste $$$ on upgrades if the combo wont fit! Any & all advice greatly appreciated! MOPAR OR NO CAR!

Was in a similiar situation with a C3 corvette. I got dimensional information of the intake and carb heights from manufacturers and added cardboard to the existing parts to match height and footprint. Also used modeling clay on top of that to know exactly the clearance.

Was in a similiar situation with a C3 corvette. I got dimensional information of the intake and carb heights from manufacturers and added cardboard to the existing parts to match height and footprint. Also used modeling clay on top of that to know exactly the clearance.

Belle66 has a GREAT idea.... clay is cheap... intakes cost $$$

I'm in need of proper advice & help please! I have a 68 coronet 440 w/440, auto. 3:91 locker. I'm wanting to upgrade from factory iron intake to edy 7193 intake & edy 14073 carb. I have a factory flat hood with twin scoops and I dont want to waste $$$ on upgrades if the combo wont fit! Any & all advice greatly appreciated! MOPAR OR NO CAR!

Invest a dime and call Edelbrock and ask them the difference between the manifold heights. With this info ( carb height will be a constant ) you'll know how much headroom you're using up from the existing setup. You only want to know the difference - you're paying them for piece of their equipment, let them supply the info.

Invest a dime and call Edelbrock and ask them the difference between the manifold heights. With this info ( carb height will be a constant ) you'll know how much headroom you're using up from the existing setup. You only want to know the difference - you're paying them for piece of their equipment, let them supply the info.
EDE has dimensional drawings on their web site.

Do you Have any Good Buddy's that mite lend you one ? or maybe a shop ?

Good luck, follow advice given. I went in blind and got lucky. Hood only closes because my 69 has a power bulge hood.

Mine is a low deck and I have the m1 single plane.

You will need a drop base air cleaner with a flat hood. Modelling clay is a good tip for estimating how much room you have.

Auto Transport Service
Back