• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interrsting lighting problem

ibsorgn

Local time
9:12 PM
Reaction score
When I turn my lights on whether it is parking or headlights my temp and fuel gauges will change to higher levels. If I have a directional signal on it will stop flashing if I turn the lights to either parking or headlights. I have swapped out all my 1157 type incandescent bulbs for 1157 LED type lights. I have a 72 Plymouth Satellite.

72 Plymouth 003.jpg

When you make a change and it creates a problem.............put it back how it was and see if it goes away.

But yeah............bad grounds are the most common problem.

Sounds like bad grounds to me

Can you give me the logic behind your bad ground theory? Any particular circuit?

- - - Updated - - -

When you make a change and it creates a problem.............put it back how it was and see if it goes away.

But yeah............bad grounds are the most common problem.

I thought that it might be that the LEDs are not creating enough of a load for the relay to work properly. Any particular circuit that I should take a hard look at?

You stated your own problem and answer, you changed from the OE 1157 bulbs to led's. The two do not go well unless you upgrade the circuit boards on the cluster, same issue on my 69 put in led cluster lamps and suddenly no flashy on the turns and brake / tail lights did weird **** when trun was on, pulled them out went back to OE and all good. Also tried the tail lamps to led didnt work either.

Couple of things for you to check out. Good luck!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B80Fl-dk3nwWYVpFTVBmZVhfV00/view?usp=sharing

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

Grounds meaning somewhere you may have a loose ground or a bad ground causing a wired thing

Did you replace the turn signal and emergency flshers to the no load type for led lights?

They always say "if it's goofy it's likely a ground".

Never fooled around with LEDs so????

I thought that it might be that the LEDs are not creating enough of a load for the relay to work properly. Any particular circuit that I should take a hard look at?

You're right on that point - the 1157 bulbs work by pulling enough current to heat up the metal in the flasher unit and cause it to disconnect - thus causing the flashing. If you change the the bulbs in your car to LEDs, they draw far less current and will prevent the flasher units from working properly. The answer for the flashers is very simple, change out your flashers for electronic flashers:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-products/electronic%20flasher/

These require the proper polarity, so if you connect them and they don't work you'll need to swap the input wires ( now, the people offered to sell me a $3.00 "polarity swapper" gadget . . . I asked why I couldn't just swap the pins on the input plug - to which they said, that will work too - they wanted to relieve my wallet of $3.00 for $0.25 worth of parts . . . NAH ! )

There is another thread that covers all this about LED lights - look it up . . . good luck with you conversion !

OKay guys great info thank you all very much.

I have to rewire and replace all the bulb sockets for the tail and backup lights so I will make sure I stay with conventional sockets and wiring.

Okay,took your advice and got a LED Flasher reply CF12-ANL01 for $6.50 and installed it and it solved my problems. Oh, I DID have to reverse the leads. Just made a couple of short spade connector wires. Now will do the same for my emergency flasher circuit.

THX I.B.Sorgn

Missed your reply so I'm sorry about, I have change all lighting except headlights to led and everything is working fine. Even installed a custom instrument cluster which uses led.

Auto Transport Service
Back