• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is "period correct" (insert your choice of engine here...)

Means not original, but what built with aftermarket parts available and used at the time.

doesn't even have to be aftermarket. block is from same time period, but, correct, not original to car.

doesn't even have to be aftermarket. block is from same time period, but, correct, not original to car.
I thought he was asking what the term meant, or is usually used for. The (insert you choice of engine here) part didn't click right away.

Or it could be a 392 hemi in a 3 window coupe. That would be a period correct streetrod for the late 50's early 60's

I guess to be more specific, I meant it in reference to an engine that matched a factory displacement.

E.g.: 1967 Dodge Coronet R/T - Could be a 440 Magnum or a Hemi. So listing this car with the 440 is fine. The issue becomes "Period correct 440" vs. "#'s matching 440"

Thanks!
Bill

The actual term is usually Date Code Correct, but Period works as well. Where this classification becomes a challenge is some engines failed inspection while on the line and needed to be replaced. If you look at an engine number, the last digit is the casting lot number for the production date. If an engine from the -5 casting group was found to be bad, depending on the type of failure the entire -5 lot could be pulled from use even after they were installed in a car. Another engine would be pulled from the engine shop and stuck in the car without a VIN stamp. So many cars left the factory with an unstamped block.

When dealers had to replace an engine that failed, Chrysler shipped them a warranty block that also was not marked with a VIN.

This is why I place more stock in casting dates than VIN stampings on block. The production line was all about getting the most cars down the line as soon as possible, and concerns about documenting originality 50 years later wasn't much of a concern.

Is this the casting date?
Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 1.05.48 PM.png

that's a 67 440 HP ......... no numbers to match in 67.......the 6 is part of the assembly date, either the month or day, there should be another number with it....... if that date is just prior to the build date of the car, no one can say it's not original......... would match GTX R/T or 440 charger

that's a 67 440 HP ......... no numbers to match in 67.......the 6 is part of the assembly date, either the month or day, there should be another number with it....... if that date is just prior to the build date of the car, no one can say it's not original......... would match GTX R/T or 440 charger
That's assuming it's an original engine. :) If it's the original engine from 67 it should read C440-*** with the last three numbers being the month/day it was cast (for example, 721 would be July 21, 1967).

That's assuming it's an original engine. :) If it's the original engine from 67 it should read C440-*** with the last three numbers being the month/day it was cast (for example, 721 would be July 21, 1967).
I think you both are trying to say the same thing. There were no VIN stampings on motor/tranny in 67 so you have no way of claiming #s matching. The stamping on his pad shows C 440 and what looks like HP. That makes it a 67 440 HP block which is correct for a Coronet R/T. The other number (6) should have another stamp beside it to determine build date. The casting date on the block itself carries less weight than the stamped scheduled assembly date.
Can you clean off that area around the 6 better?

"Period correct" to me means it could be any year, but is assembled to look original. I would want to see pictures of the front of the engine especially to make sure it's a neutral balance balancer, correct water pump housing, etc.

Transmissions can be dated by the number on the front drivers side pan rail. May not be able to identify a month or day but year is a definite.

"Period correct" to me means almost the same as "day 2 mods".

"period correct" foot shaped gas pedal, for a 70's model.

"Date code correct" means an effort was made to put the correct parts on even if they are not numbers matching.

I'd also like to introduce an new one that describes what I'm doing to my Satellite-

"option sheet correct" I have factory optional equipment that was not on the car when it was built, but I am installing it now- Rallye mirrors, cruise control, bucket seats, etc. All optional and available in 1973.

Auto Transport Service
Back