• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a demand for poly engines?

I have one in my 62 Belvedere and it really is a good motor. There will always be a market for them, although not as widely accepted as the well supported sb/bb.

I would love to freshen mine up with a 4bbl, cam and headers. Four bbl intakes get silly expensive because no one makes them anymore. Same with headers, I believe one company makes headers for them but at a price close to a grand. Just not worth it without aftermarket support.

There is a poly-head forum. There is a lot of things you can do with a 318 Poly to make a lot of power. Gary Povaolitch (sp) is a poly guru from California and is working with a company to produce new 4 bbl alum. intakes- high performance. Also finned aluminum valve covers. These are very close to being available to the public.
These engines are popular because of the combustion chamber being so similar to a Hemi, but with just one rocker arm shaft.
I would not throw that engine or that tranny away... Thar tranny can be used to convert the earlier heavy cast iron powerflite or torqueflte and has a park lever in it. .....................MO

Speaking of swapping heads, the newest issue of Chrysler Power has an article where they are building a stroker 360 to a 408, and putting on poly heads. They show what needs to be modified. It's not done yet, the build will continue in subsequent editions.
Yup, Just read a past Hot Rod Mag article where they bored one out .090 (408ci), swapped in a LA318 crank and 360 rods with head work and runs like heck. Red Ram Perf I think was the supplier. I'm interested in building one for sure.

I have one in my 62 Belvedere and it really is a good motor. There will always be a market for them, although not as widely accepted as the well supported sb/bb.

I would love to freshen mine up with a 4bbl, cam and headers. Four bbl intakes get silly expensive because no one makes them anymore. Same with headers, I believe one company makes headers for them but at a price close to a grand. Just not worth it without aftermarket support.

Update...Done!!
20151115_160309.jpg

I looked at them briefly but couldn't get much info on height and whether they take stock brackets. And I thought stock 4bbl intakes were expensive lol.

I don't think it's that people don't like them, it's just that performance parts are hard to find and expensive.

They have more torque than an LA 318 but lots of non Mopar folks don't believe a block that large is only 318 CID.
318 poly block is almost the same as a 318 LA block. Side by side the are very similar, the heads make the engine look much larger tho. Same bore, same stroke as an LA engine.

...but that doesn't stop gm (esp chevy) guys from telling you and every one else that your car has a "big block" and that's why you beat their 350.

...but that doesn't stop gm (esp chevy) guys from telling you and every one else that your car has a "big block" and that's why you beat their 350.

I lost count of the number of times I have overheard a car show passerby point out to another that I have '318' decals on a 'big' block'...like I was trying to hide something. It's good for a smile to both parties.

Auto Transport Service
Back