• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Issue changing dash light bulbs to LED's

1963JAM

Local time
9:01 PM
Reaction score
Good afternoon. Changed the 9 dash bulbs in a '66 Satellite to LED's. With key in off position dash lights come on just fine and stay lit. With key in on position the dash lights flash on off on off repeat. I'm trying out the LED's for the brighter dash lighting.
Rockauto sent different bulb manufacturers from same bulb part order.
20220312_145658.jpg
20220312_151851.jpg

Does it do it with engine running.
Voltage up.

It would seem that the voltage limiter for the gas gauge and instruments is affecting the dash bulbs.

I know its not the same cluster. But I just did this to my friends Roadrunner cluster. Installed a new solid state limiter board and the LEDs work great. I did not try them with the older board and limiter.

I know its not the same cluster. But I just did this to my friends Roadrunner cluster. Installed a new solid state limiter board and the LEDs work great. I did not try them with the older board and limiter.

Did the LED's light up brighter than the incandescent's?

wished you did a before pic then after pic to see the difference

wished you did a before pic then after pic to see the difference
True but they were very dim before, the ones that worked anyhow. The oil light is even an LED so that should tell you how much brighter it is.

Here is a pretty good comparison..Not my video..

Last edited:
Good afternoon. Changed the 9 dash bulbs in a '66 Satellite to LED's. With key in off position dash lights come on just fine and stay lit. With key in on position the dash lights flash on off on off repeat. I'm trying out the LED's for the brighter dash lighting.
Rockauto sent different bulb manufacturers from same bulb part order. View attachment 1253902View attachment 1253904

You have a ground problem. Should not matter if the engine is off or on.

The voltage limiter has nothing to do with instrument lighting. The only thing shared is the ground. So to me with the key on and then the lights change it is something trying to use a needed source for another component. Pull the limiter and see what happens. If ok then find a way to add a direct ground to the circuit board.

The voltage limiter has nothing to do with instrument lighting. The only thing shared is the ground. So to me with the key on and then the lights change it is something trying to use a needed source for another component. Pull the limiter and see what happens. If ok then find a way to add a direct ground to the circuit board.
Pulled what I think is the voltage regulator and dash lights now stay on with key in on position
20220312_165223.jpg

This is correct Voltage limiter only works on the fuel gauge and the Temp gauge.

Also you do not need solid state for the lighting. I only upgraded the cluster for the fuel gauge and temp gauge. But the bonus was better more secure connections on the light bulb sockets. The old board was worn out and patch fixed.

Do I run that direct ground you mentioned to a hex head bolt on the back of the circuit board?

20220312_171339.jpg

Last edited:
Attach a ground wire to that point and then to a good clean metal spot on the cars dash frame or body.
Thank you for the help. Will do that, extra grounds never hurt. Looking through electrical prints, how does the dash circuit board get to ground?

Thank you for the help. Will do that, extra grounds never hurt. Looking through electrical prints, how does the dash circuit board get to ground?
Through that screw to the cluster.

Auto Transport Service
Back