• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kinda of a short story of a 76 Dodge Colt

Seeing that we are talking about Dodge Colts, on the shop wall, I have a nice set of acid dipped doors off of a candy red hemi Colt and the name on them says ROD SHOP in Gold leaf. Nice conversation pieces.

I had a couple of them after I got out of high school. I put a 2600 with dual 2 barrels in a 5 speed car. Then bought the road rally kit from direct connection. That made it fun to drive. Didn't have to slow down for the on/off ramps or corners either.
I almost put a small block in The automatic car I had after I found out it had a 904 Torqueflite in it. But ended up just changing it over to a 5 speed as well. The automatic with that little 1600cc engine was a dog. The 5 speed helped it a lot.
If any of you guys need some parts for these cars I have some that are probably going to get pitched. I have tail lights grilles dashes etc. not many sheet metal parts left though. I think there is a hood and a couple fenders. I will look if there is any intrest.

Back in the road rage days,I'll just say if they hit you from behind,,,,,or if you BACK into them with no witness they still ran into the back of you,,,,law says they are at fault:lol:
We had some fools around here that kept collecting insurance money that way about 10 years ago. They would shut off the brake lights and then hit the brakes. This went on for some time and they got brave and started doing it in front of 18 wheelers. Hey they were not bright people. Final got sandwiched between three 18's and a guard rail.
Yea they got the tickets. Moral is don't do stipid stuff to truckers with radios.

yes they did. after don carlton got killed about everyone quit racing them. they were too short for a 500" hemi. I think carlton even stretched the wheel base on one but had to run it in a diff class, nhra wouldn`t let it run in pro stock.

In early 86 I ended up in a divorce and needed a cheap car that got better than 10 mpg that my 3/4 ton pickup was getting so off I went to visit a dealership buddy of mine and found a 76 out on the used car side. My buddy was the manager of the fleet department and told me to tell the used car manager he had sent me over. With only 12000 miles on it, it caught my eye but it had been kept outside and it was sun baked. Paint and interior was good though but belts, door gaskets and hoses were...well, hosed. After I quit laughing when the used car manager told me 3500 and saying that Gary sent me over for a decent deal and not a rape job I ended up with it for around 1100 bucks. The only real down side to it was I had to drive the snot out of it just to keep up with the traffic going to work every morning.

Things got a bit excited when some guy started picking on it because his Vega was bigger and faster I guess. Seems like twice a week we ended too close to each other and ended up squaring off. Biggest problem was I didn't appreciate him messing with me tailgating and then passing really close and then cutting me off when he got back in front. Thing is, traffic wasn't all that bad and he didn't need to be doing this crap plus I was usually in the right hand lane too but he didn't seem to care. After about 2 weeks of this crap, I started driving my gas hog 3/4 ton 400 powered 79 Dodge pickup until we met again. Keep in mind this beater of a truck had a mild build on the 400 and even with the stock 3.55's and 29" tall tires, it would click off a 15.40. Not exactly a ball of fire but fairly respectable of 1986 and it had a really nice interior and the body was solid but had a few whiskey dents....not my dents of course.

Anyways, my intention was to make him aware of who I was and the fact I didn't care for him and his crap and it worked! One morning I saw him about 300 feet ahead of me so I slowly kept getting closer and closer and closer until it looked like my truck was about to crawl into that POS Vega's hatch! He hit the gas to try and drive off but that didn't do any good and I mirrored every move he made for about 2 miles and yelling at his dumb *** to hit the brakes because I wasn't gonna. Doing 75 in a 55 zone (hell, didn't know a Vega could go that fast!), he finally threw up in hands like he was saying "uncle" so I backed off and changed lanes. He slowed down too and that's when I pulled beside him so he could get a good look at who I was and he knew it at that moment.

From then on he never messed with me and my Colt again but I didn't keep it too long after that. Sold it a few months later to a guy at work that wanted it for his daughter to drive back and forth to school and I was happy to unload it on him. It was just too small and under powered to suit me plus my fuel mileage wasn't that good because of the way I was driving it and slow small cars do not get any respect on the road when you're running with a bunch of other red necks in a hurry to get to work.
I had a tubbed vega w/ a very hot 406 sbc in it, wasted a calaway corvette for about 1/2 mile on a 4 lane once. 600h.p. , 2400 pounds

Losing a RR for a Colt would have been tough for me to do.
I dont remember ever seeing any Colts of the 70s where I grew up, saw a few 80s models though....always thought they kinda looked like pacers with all the glass.
Not to bad looking when they're tricked out like in Buds pics.... beats the hell out of the rice burners w/ fart cans of today!

Last edited:
I didn't think anyone but me ever got stuck with one of those.:rolleyes:

My first car was a 71 Colt. My dad worked for Dodge in the Dallas regional office. He worked with the Dodge dealerships in the DFW area, and that's what he brought home one day for me to drive. I think because a dealer he worked with basically gave it to him for next to nothing. Can you imagine the frustration of a kid in 1974 whose dad worked for Dodge and that's what he brings home for me to drive. In 74 those dealership used lots still would have been full of Chargers, Challengers, Super Bees, Darts, etc., and that's what I got. I was even getting an after school job so I could buy my own, but he made me drive that damn thing.

Worked out OK though, it threw a rod halfway between Dallas and OKC a couple months later. Ended up with a beater 66 Charger with a poly. But I couldn't have been happier. :D

I had a tubbed vega w/ a very hot 406 sbc in it, wasted a calaway corvette for about 1/2 mile on a 4 lane once. 600h.p. , 2400 pounds
A buddy had a stock 350 2bbl in a Vega that still had the stock rear end in it. The first time I rode in it, it was quite a surprise the first time he nailed it. Said the didn't like stomping on it from a stand still since the dinky rear end didn't like it and did finally end up swapping in a better rear end after replacing the stocker for the 3rd time lol

LOL my mom had one. That thing would go good in the snow. probably because didn't have enough power to spin the tires

Found this on CL $20K Great Price i Think.
https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/6006103532.html
921248_870741836385952_2665964078629039307_o.jpg

00p0p_edsRDXB8Od3_600x450.jpg

01616_dXZ0sHMuk3N_600x450.jpg

00L0L_1BbKmAldcv_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
All I think about when I see a colt is a 35 year old lady I lived next door to when I was 18 in my first own place.She had a red colt. I thought I was in love but she didnt know I existed. Oh to be young and dumb again.

Time out back to the $13 colt I swear if that's legit let me know spot me the money and buy it I'll pay you back I'm good for it I'll personally come pick it up I will take it and bring it home one day instead of my wife's new car and tell her sorry we needed to budget a bit and I needed the money back from your suv this will work for you just fine it's a high quality automobile and it's a classic too. I beat she would ether a say it's cute or b shoot my ***

Here's my 72 Colt, bought it for $200.00 Last Summer sitting in the Desert, Palm springs.
12823418_870741249719344_8992590600354043782_o.jpg

10001183_870741386385997_6574119151281742184_o.jpg

Time out back to the $13 colt I swear if that's legit let me know spot me the money and buy it I'll pay you back I'm good for it I'll personally come pick it up I will take it and bring it home one day instead of my wife's new car and tell her sorry we needed to budget a bit and I needed the money back from your suv this will work for you just fine it's a high quality automobile and it's a classic too. I beat she would ether a say it's cute or b shoot my ***
Sorry Bb70, I was just busting Crankys chops.... I never would have thought those would have such a following...:poke:
But I will keep you in mind if I do find a deal like that!!!
:)

yes they did. after don carlton got killed about everyone quit racing them. they were too short for a 500" hemi. I think carlton even stretched the wheel base on one but had to run it in a diff class, nhra wouldn`t let it run in pro stock.

everytime i see someone talking about hopping these up i remember that.
ive seen the fire arrows w everything from 360-383-440 and hemis in them down in nc,and they had a hard time selling them.
( back in the early 90`s )
the colts..those were really scary cars,get loose in a millisecond...

everytime i see someone talking about hopping these up i remember that.
ive seen the fire arrows w everything from 360-383-440 and hemis in them down in nc,and they had a hard time selling them.
( back in the early 90`s )
the colts..those were really scary cars,get loose in a millisecond...
My license plate will read, "HNDFULL"

Auto Transport Service
Back