• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kyle Busch out of Daytona 500

Coronet 14

Local time
4:27 PM
Reaction score
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - Kyle Busch suffered a compound fracture in his right leg, as well as a fractured left foot after a vicious late-race wreck at the Alert Today Florida 300 at Daytona International Speedway. He is out indefinitely.

Matt Crafton will replace him in Sunday's Daytona 500. Joe Gibbs Racing said an interim driver beyond Daytona has not been determined.

The accident, met with criticism from a number of drivers because it occured at a place on the track which did not have SAFER barriers, prompted an almost immediate response from track president Joie Chitwood, who pledged to wrap the track in the afforementioned soft walls immediately following Sunday's race.

"SAFER barriers should have been there tonight," Chitwood said. "We can't allow this again."

On Lap 113 of the Xfinity Series race, Busch spun while pushing Erik Jones coming through the front-stretch tri-oval. Busch's car rocketed straight toward a section of wall that did not have SAFER barriers in place. Busch immediately attempted to exit the car, but as safety crews covered the car in fire extinguisher foam, Busch apparently got hung up getting his right leg out of the car.

[Related: Here's how much it would cost to install SAFER barriers around Daytona]

Emergency crews attended to Busch, wrapping his right leg and ankle in a splint. He left the scene in an ambulance, and was transported to a nearby hospital. Approximately 90 minutes later, Joe Gibbs Racing announced Busch would not be racing in Sunday's Daytona 500, but did not name a replacement driver and did not indicate how long Busch would be out.

The wreck occurred just 90 minutes before Kyle's brother Kurt was scheduled to appeal his indefinite suspension from NASCAR. If Kurt Busch does not drive in Sunday's race, this will mark the first Daytona 500 since 2000 without a Busch brother.

Drivers immediately took to Twitter to express support for Kyle and frustration with the fact that SAFER barriers, which collapse and reduce force on impact, are not present all around every track

Kyle shouldn't be driving in this series anyway. The Busch/Nationwide/Xfinity series used to be a developmental series for Cup. Now It's a free for all of Cup drivers, 2nd tier regulars and raw rookies. For NASCAR it's all about money and they think that having Cup drivers in this series puts butts in the seats. If you check the stands during these races apparently it doesn't.
If Kyle didn't win one of these races he would bitch and moan about the other inexperienced drivers. I have a solution Kyle, don't drive in this series. I'm not a Kyle fan in case you can't tell, but I don't like to see anyone badly injured. JMHFO.

He doesn't have anyone else to blame on this one. He shouldn't have been banging on the guy's bumper in the tri-oval. I agree, he shouldn't be racing in that series. I would like to see racing, not the Kyle show and also ran guys.

Too bad he broke his ankle & leg, never like seeing or hearing about that stuff &
a compound fracture is really bad too, surgery & physical therapy in his future for sure

like others have said,
"I don't like the Cup guys 'cherry picken' the Xfinity Series or CW Truck either"
just doesn't sit well with me

- - - Updated - - -

why aren't you guys playing in our FBBO & FABO NASCAR Pick Em' game ??

we need more people

it's fun, something to route for, better reason to even watch
we're only one race & a bonus missed if you get in before next race

It's a way for the Cup guys to get a feel of the track. Another practice session if you will but they are taking a risk when they run the truck or this series racing......

It's a way for the Cup guys to get a feel of the track. Another practice session if you will but they are taking a risk when they run the truck or this series racing......

yeah I think everyone agrees with that point too

BUT they are taking the money {& at-least no longer the points},
away from the smaller teams, single car teams, low buck teams,
the new talent needs that spot light or exposure, they need it to get sponsors etc.,
that afforded them the much needed $$$ & the much needed TV time & exposure
to get where the Cup guys "already are"...
IMHFO it's taking away from the guys who're trying to make it
& the lessor series guys/gals actually could use the extra $$$$/exposure...

that's my biggest gripe, I'm pretty sure it's allot of theirs too,
most won't say it, because it would backfire on them in the media,
to criticize a "Cup star" or be vocal about NASCAR rules
&/or brass/France's ownership/management...

nascar-sexy-girl-funny-demotivational-posters-1345595117.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back