• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

late model hemi into early b bodies

Thanks, my wife let me work on it from noonish til around six. That woman has a heart of gold. But when it fired up, she ran into the garage and gave me the look. Then I said that I did it with no help and she said "I knew you could do it". I'm a lucky man!!

Well no work was done today, SuperBowl took priority. I did start it for my Father in law and the leaky fuel injectors seemed to fix themselves-I got new o-rings this morning so I'll change them anyway. The a/c compressor is twisted somewhat, how I overlooked that is anyones guess, so I will make a different bracket. Power steering resivor still has a leak and it's pissing me off, so gotta put more muscle tightening the hose fitting.

Good Job man! I just got my engine / trans installed last weekend and am now working on making the wiring harness and thinking up a fuel system.

Thanks rolling Thunder, 3 years of working and it lives- what a feeling. What type of fuel system are you gonna run? In tank pump, inline line pump? I went with the intank pump and Corvette filter/regulator, easy to do and parts are available anywhere.

Here's the latest, ac compressor is spot on according to my degree finder and straight edge in relation to all other pulleys. Injectors still leak but I haven't changed the o rings yet and lastly the whine is coming from the power steering pump. Fluid is circulating like it should so I'm gonna call Mark at S&P and tell him whats going on. Maybe I got a bad pump or I have done something wrong, although I checked my hose routing and it's on the money. Any ideas???

Here's the latest, ac compressor is spot on according to my degree finder and straight edge in relation to all other pulleys. Injectors still leak but I haven't changed the o rings yet and lastly the whine is coming from the power steering pump. Fluid is circulating like it should so I'm gonna call Mark at S&P and tell him whats going on. Maybe I got a bad pump or I have done something wrong, although I checked my hose routing and it's on the money. Any ideas???

Air in the lines?.........:shruggy:

Possible, but how long does it take to get the air out? I've ran it for no more that 10 minutes at a time,fans not hooked up, turning the steering wheel back and forth. Could this be incoerrect?

is the resevoir above or below the pump ? I believe it is supposed to be above the pump or air will get trapped...

Fuel system - I am planning on modifying my stock tank with baffles and a sump to prevent starvation - then run an in tank pump with the corvette regulator... Still working on the tank though.

Rolling Thunder, the resevoir is mounted high on the core support so that would take care of any air in the system. Well a phone call to S&P this morning set me straight, Mark said that my return hose is collapsing and thats causing the pump to starve therefore the whine when the engine is revving. Makes sense to me so I will get a new hose made this weekend. The intank pump I'm using has a tray that holds fuel so when you turn corners you wont starve the pump.

5.7 Hemi, Nice job with the install.
We have done quite a few of these, and now that there are lots of questions.
We have swap kits on our site, and options for increasing the HP on these motors as well.
Good choice with the 5spd auto out of the truck, great trans for the money
nice install, should look great

Hey plumfloored, thanks. A compliment coming from your shop is awesome. I've seen your work and I must say that is some wicked stuff. If mine turns out 1/2 as good as the cars you do, I'd be satisfied. Thanks again.

Leaky fuel injectors fixed, leaky reservoir fixed, BUT the pump still whines like a teenage girl. I drained all the fluid out(messy as Hell) then for shits and giggles started it up and would'nt you know the whine is gone. Refill with fuild whine is back, drain fluid again, switch to a different return hose, NO fluid, whine is gone, refill fluid, whine is back. Cut the spring inside the return nipple, fill with fluid, whine is not as loud. Gee, I wonder how much to cut off the spring, or just take it out alltogether? Anyone have an idea??? I'm almost at the point of getting a manual box and power steering delete set up and move on, but I'd rather have power than manual so again, any ideas?

Yeah, that would satisfy me for the moment, then I would have to open my wallet and spend more money that I dont have. Sound familiar( the feds)?

New vacum rated hose that S&P said to use and the pump still whines, although not as bad. There has got to be something that I don't know because these swaps are done all the time, just look at the magazines or on the web. Maybe I got a bad pump from the get go. Another phone call is in order.

Gauges all hooked up, still need to finish the fans wiring. Now I can run the engine for more than 30-40 seconds, so now possibly,maybe perhaps,we'll see, if the power steering pump will quit whining by having the engine run for a period of time instead of of short bursts.

Tonight I finished all the gauges except the speedo. Fuel says 1/8 of a tank and volts 12 without the engine running. Perhaps tommorrow the fans will get finished. I came to a theory as to why the pump makes so much noise, any comments would be appreciated. The pump has a valve that controls the flow and the box has a valve that controls the flow, so I think whats happening is the 2 valves are fighting each other therefore the whine. I'll take the box valve out and see what happens this weekend.

Well heres what was done over the weekend. Everything was hooked and good to go but for some reason the fans would'nt turn on, so a call to Dad and he was here in a jiff. Problem turned out to be the sending unit was not tightened all the way and not making a good ground. The idle was lumpy as though it had a cam, then my Dad noticed the volt gauge down to 11. We checked the voltage at the battery and it was 11 also. HMMM, not getting the battery charged. Traced the wire from alternator to starter post and all is good, then checked output at the alternator, nothing on the voltmeter. No this is were it gets interesting, take alternator off and had it checked, was bad, new alternator and same problem, interesting. This is how I wired it, 8 gauge from alternator to starter post, 1 gauge from starter post to battery, ground on the frame rail to battery, ground from the block to frame, computer harness ground to back of the block(battery is in the trunk). So now do I take off the wire from the alternator to starter post and just run it all the way to the battery?? Gonna have to call S&P tommorrow. This blows.

Auto Transport Service
Back