• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Launch Video

padam

Local time
9:08 AM
Reaction score
Sunday I finally got a buddy to take a good video of my launch. I was racing at Magnolia in Ohio. They had a no prep event the night before, so the track was not in the best shape.
My 1st run was so bad I had to abort.
I dropped my starting RPM by 200, and softened up the clutch tamer some.
I was able to get down the track but my ET was off and inconsistant.

The video clearly shows the rear tires unloading and the tires start to spin.
I do have to say the car was not handling too bad. This was the quarter final and I lost due to a breakout.

It seems like a mess, but I've raced at tracks with a better surface and don't have near the trouble I had Sunday.

Superstck springs with Caltracs, Viking double adjustable rear shocks.

The whole car is sitting too high. The rear shocks are maxed out and pulling the tires up, losing traction. Can you tighten up the rebound? What front shocks?
I think going to a caltrac spring, and dumping the front end in the weeds would be your answer.
They like to have 5" travel on the front end.

The front end is as low as I’m comfortable with, 8 qt Pam is pretty close to the ground.
Front shocks are Gabriel or something, I gave up trying to get race shocks since nobody makes them now.
Rears are only a couple clicks from full tight on rebound.

Did it get a little squirrelly near the end of video? Right tire looked like it started to smoke?

It didn’t feel to bad, but I think they started to smoke a 60’ when the concrete stops

It has a lot of rear separation in the rear. Is it stretching the shocks to full extension? Maybe. If so that needs to be addressed. However it doesn't spin until the front end tops out. Slow the front end rise down with tighter rebound. I'd slow the rear rise up as well.
Doug

I thought the rear shocks had enough travel but I will double check.

I think I saw a couple of slight bounces in the rear too, one for sure, that I would think would unload the tires.
Good job, keep the videos coming!

That is a superb video, and on the correct side of the car for diagnosis. What device was it made on? Is the slo-mo original or added later? (And if on a phone, congrats to the videographer for holding it the right way.)

That is a superb video, and on the correct side of the car for diagnosis. What device was it made on? Is the slo-mo original or added later? (And if on a phone, congrats to the videographer for holding it the right way.)
I think he used an I phone, probably edited the part where it is slo mo.
My son has taken videos with his that are like that, just not of my car.

Viking and Calvert both say to stiffen shocks.

I agree with DVW. Our big Chargers like the front end coming up slow, otherwise the back tends to unload. More rebound is needed in the rear as well to control the separation more like others have mentioned. I’ll post a video of my 71, but it isn’t a fair comparison as it is an RMS K member up front and a ladder bar in the back. But regardless, I believe how my car leaves is the result you are looking for with your spring setup. It takes time, but once you get it sorted, it makes a world of difference. Then racing gets real fun!

This is an older video. I have since went up to 16.25 PSI on the rear tire and added 2 clicks of rebound to the front end. So it does not crush the tire as bad at the hit. I believe this video was 15 PSI. Can’t remember for sure.

I agree with DVW. Our big Chargers like the front end coming up slow, otherwise the back tends to unload. More rebound is needed in the rear as well to control the separation more like others have mentioned. I’ll post a video of my 71, but it isn’t a fair comparison as it is an RMS K member up front and a ladder bar in the back. But regardless, I believe how my car leaves is the result you are looking for with your spring setup. It takes time, but once you get it sorted, it makes a world of difference. Then racing gets real fun!

This is an older video. I have since went up to 16.25 PSI on the rear tire and added 2 clicks of rebound to the front end. So it does not crush the tire as bad at the hit. I believe this video was 15 PSI. Can’t remember for sure.

That’s a great video, completely different motion than mine. But of course a lot of differences.
It seems like I have a lot of little things that are marginal to the point that they won’t work the way they should.

A little fact about You Tube. If you click on the gear Icon on the lower right you can slow the video.
Doug

W316 ....Man..... You've really got it dialed in for a Perfect launch video !! Some of the correct "set up" suspension tune settings seems counterintuitive at times & your vid is deff the target objective....

W316 ....Man..... You've really got it dialed in for a Perfect launch video !! Some of the correct "set up" suspension tune settings seems counterintuitive at times & your vid is deff the target objective....
Definitely what I have been trying to achieve. But still a long way to go.

I’ve taken a lot of weight off the front.
I think Mustang II shocks may work. If so I’m going to try to get set of adjustables on this weekend.

I got the adjustable front shocks installed today. I got the Qa1 Mustang II shocks. I had to make a few modifications, but it looks like they will work.
If it turns out ok I will do a little thread about it.

Got back out there today.
1. New adjustable front shocks.
2. Back shocks tightened up.
3. 29 inch slicks replaced thw worn out 28’s
I know you are supposed to change 1 thing at a time, but there’s only so much time.
So it worked out pretty good. Car hooked well and handled well.
Consistency came back and I made a couple passes close to my best.
Cutting a light was a challenge and I had a couple ref lights in test and tune, so I cut down my launch rpm a little .
Cut 1 .500 light. I knew that was too close.
Round 2 eliminator I went out .499 red.
Making progress

Auto Transport Service
Back