• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lead sub?

I'm using ethanol free gas with a splash of 112 octane race gas.(more than a splash)
When I built the car I installed stainless fuel lines and a stainless steel tank with the thought that at some point I may have to use ethanol fuel.
Just thinking ahead to the future. We have no idea what fuel will be available.
I hope it isn't pureed horse **** like was mentioned earlier.
ruffcut

I would run premium non-ethanol if available. Short of race gas, non-eth is NOT available, or street legal, in california. I would not worry about the lead content, or additive. You'd need twenty years of 3000 miles a year to have a problem.

I would run premium non-ethanol if available. Short of race gas, non-eth is NOT available, or street legal, in california. I would not worry about the lead content, or additive. You'd need twenty years of 3000 miles a year to have a problem.
FYI.....OCTANE BOOSTERS....
In the world of aftermarket performance fuel additives and octane boosters, three ingredients are used predominantly: methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT), toluene, and variants of trimethylbenzene.
Ethanol as an Octane Booster - For example, 84 octane gasoline is typically blended with 10 percent ethanol to reach the minimum octane requirement.....
But, there is the old time octane booster material: moth balls. Which is: Traditional moth balls, the ones we know from our childhoods, contain one of two chemicals, napthalene or paradichlorobenzene
I choose not to use any.....its your car do what you wish....
BOB RENTON

Nice cars @71RRHI @RR71RR

What color green is that?
Unfortunately I don't know. The car was originally GY8 gold. The guy that owned it before me had it painted around 1987. It's what we would call a cheap repaint now a days. They scuffed the factory paint and sprayed it, no primer or nothing.

Last edited:
I can only speak for the State of Hawaii. The non-ethonal gas sold here at the pump is rated at 89 octane. It comes out of the straight high product tank at the load rack. It usually tests right around 90-91 octane. They inject the ethonal at the load rack when filling the delivery trucks to make the the E-10 92 octane sold at the pump.

I can only speak for the State of Hawaii. The non-ethonal gas sold here at the pump is rated at 89 octane. It comes out of the straight high product tank at the load rack. It usually tests right around 90-91 octane. They inject the ethonal at the load rack when filling the delivery trucks to make the the E-10 92 octane sold at the pump.
BUT.....what are you paying? Price/gallon......they probably charge more per gallon to REDUCE the octane level to 92. BTW octane levels are determined by blending a feedstock with a alkylation derrived concentrate made ftom crude oil left overs. The alkylation process combines light iso-paraffins, most commonly isobutane, with C3–C4 olefins, to produce a mixture of higher molecular weight iso-paraffins (i.e., alkylate) as a high-octane number blending component for the gasoline pool. Just thought you might like to know.....
BOB RENTON

The pump price for 89 non ethonal and e-10 92 are usually the same price per gallon here.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't know. The car was originally it was GY8 gold. The guy that owned it before me had it painted aound 1987. It's what we would call a cheap repaint now a days. They scuffed the factory paint and sprayed it, no primer or nothing.
Looks good.

i add this lead substitute to my survivor 71 rr in an Untouched 383 so far so good.
HAPCO - 1 Gallon Lead Substitute Fuel Additive - TREATS UP TO 200 GALLONS | eBay
Just be careful....if it contains MMT or contains a healthy dose of MMT (Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl), which is a metallic additive that creates a sacrificial barrier on valve seats to help prevent recession and keep your engine running strong. It also coats the spark plug electrodes causing a misfire.....just thought you might like to know.....
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back