• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

leaf spring descriptions 'for manual transmission cars'

Billccm

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:10 AM
Reaction score
Hello All:

I've been browsing replacement leaf springs for my 68 Road Runner, 383, 727, fairly stock.

With the intention of not going with SuperStock, or competition replacement springs, I've noticed that the Heavy Duty replacements from Mancini, Summit, etc all describe 'factory stock for the manual transmission cars'. Some even add for '440, or 426 cars'.

PST has been very good about replying to my email questions (within hours). Eaton, Mancini, and Summit has not replied (going on over a week now). I even filled out the 'pre order' form from Eaton, and emailed their 'spring guru'; no reply. Now that I think about it, Mancini has NEVER answered any of my email questions.

Anyhow, just wanted to throw this out there and see what you guys think.

Thanks for any advice.

I would go with the 440, hemi, type factory springs. There is no difference between manual or auto trans. Mopar performance still has them listed as P4452983 and P4452982. You can order them from your local chrysler dealer. I have those springs and they are identical to the òriginals except for some very minor visual differences. They might not still be available, but I'd give it a try.

:popcorn: Curious since I will be ordering new springs for both my Barracuda and Charger. Both are manual transmission, but I'd still be interested in seeing differences.

Trans does not make a difference....

Standard or HD suspension is what makes the difference......

Call Mancini if you want answers. IMO, they are not that big of an outfit (not sure how big they are since I've never been there and have never seen a pic of the building/warehouse etc) and every time I call, Wes answers the phone unless he's swamped but he's always done me right. It also wouldn't hurt to ask if they/he gives a discount to the site members.....

@threewood had given me the same advice. I just wonder why the descriptions only mention manual transmission cars?

@threewood had given me the same advice. I just wonder why the descriptions only mention manual transmission cars?
Automatics tend to be easier on suspension parts. With a stick, rev to the moon and sidestep the clutch (something to do if you like to break parts) isn't real easy on stuff and springs take a beating too. Neutral drops (I know no one does that! :D) ain't real easy on stuff either lol

Laura at ESPO sells a nice set of 6x7 xhd springs that are equivalent to what came on the 440/Hemi cars.

I do not know who Mopar Performance was using a couple of years ago, but some complained about them not holding up well. We have sold several sets and have had good luck with them. The same with Eaton and they are basically the same as the Mopar Performance springs.

For those who are nit picky like myself to keeping things identical to the original pieces, the newer springs have rounded ends of the individual leaves where the originals were more squared off with the exception of the shortest one. The short one also retains the part number. But this can be easily changed out for those looking to keep things more OE correct.

The other alternative is re-arching your originals. This can yield various results. Fortunately, we have a spring company in our area that builds truck and racing springs. They have the factory specs for all of the different configurations and could dial everything back into spec. They will not warrant the springs for sagging and I have used them for a couple restorations with no issues. All of the spring components are available to disassemble and to rebuild them to factory correctness.

The other alternative is re-arching your originals. This can yield various results. Fortunately, we have a spring company in our area that builds truck and racing springs. They have the factory specs for all of the different configurations and could dial everything back into spec. They will not warrant the springs for sagging and I have used them for a couple restorations with no issues. All of the spring components are available to disassemble and to rebuild them to factory correctness.
Thank you for the information. I had actually planned on re-arc of my originals as back in the 1990s I had this done and was very happy (on another b body). I called the local spring shop here in Tucson, and they were friendly and helpful on the phone, but they mentioned that a leaf would definitely be added, and were not confident that they could get the correct bushing. Add to that an estimated price of $280 for the pair, and I was back to looking at new replacements.

With Summit having their promo code of $40 off $400 I ordered the P4452983 and P4452982, shackles, and KYB shocks all around. Mancini looks like they had the correct U Bolts, so I ordered those and new hangers and eye bolt kit, etc. Looking forward to getting this job done over the Thanksgiving break.

I appreciate all of the replies and advice.

Laura at ESPO sells a nice set of 6x7 xhd springs that are equivalent to what came on the 440/Hemi cars.
+1 for ESPO, my springs ame in this evening and they look great. Ordered all the hardware for them as well. Very reasonable and prompt on returning calls/emails.

20180926_234237.jpg 20180926_234245.jpg

Call Mancini if you want answers. IMO, they are not that big of an outfit (not sure how big they are since I've never been there and have never seen a pic of the building/warehouse etc) and every time I call, Wes answers the phone unless he's swamped but he's always done me right. It also wouldn't hurt to ask if they/he gives a discount to the site members.....

I'm not sure if yoh are taking about the leaf Springs or Mancini being a big outfit.
I'm telling you he isn't your typical mom and pop operation I was there in the 80s and 25 yrs later he has come a long way.

Just my opinion on the matter..

MAPS

I went the ESPO route as well. Happy customer. There is nothing in my 67 FSM that says manual or auto trans is different. Engine was the difference.

Espo for me, too. made in the USA, as well.

I just replaced my 1 year old MP XHD springs as they sagged 3 inches.

OP if I were you, I would eat the restock and try a different brand.

I used the EXPO XHD +1 springs on my Duster and I was very happy with them. The car always went straight on hard launches. Road nice.
I have heard & read good things about the PST springs and there parts as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back