• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LED headlight upgrade, why the need for new wiring and relays???

Jegs will match eBay sellers pricing, they will have the new Retrobrights drop shipped to your home. That way you don’t buy someone’s return or defects that will short when you hit a bump in the road.
So it's been three days and about 200 miles and lots of bumps. The seller takes returns as well.
I paid 300 for 4 open box and jegs price is 180 per bulb. So not sure if they'd take 105 off each bulb when these are open box. If they were brand new probably, but I knew I was taking a chance but only if the seller would take returns. These days if you buy something on eBay and the seller takes returns, it is very easy with a difficult seller. If you also pay with PayPal and have a dispute within six months, they'll refund your money. It's worth the risk to me. There is no way I'd upgrade for 180x4=720 before tax and shipping. I paid 300 out the door for a set of four. Makes me want to get a second set from the seller! :)

So it's been three days and about 200 miles and lots of bumps. The seller takes returns as well.
I paid 300 for 4 open box and jegs price is 180 per bulb. So not sure if they'd take 105 off each bulb when these are open box. If they were brand new probably, but I knew I was taking a chance but only if the seller would take returns. These days if you buy something on eBay and the seller takes returns, it is very easy with a difficult seller. If you also pay with PayPal and have a dispute within six months, they'll refund your money. It's worth the risk to me. There is no way I'd upgrade for 180x4=720 before tax and shipping. I paid 300 out the door for a set of four. Makes me want to get a second set from the seller! :)
That’s a great deal no matter how you look at it.

So I wanted to mention that I went to the "LED" side and got what I mentioned in post #5 and Sinitiro in #15, the Holley Retrobrights. It's been so hot in the desert above LA that I've been doing a lot of night driving. It's really frustrating when you are in a swarm of LED headlights and you worry that someone is going to hit your baby with a vintage year set of Wagner 4000s you found in an old box.

There was no way I was going to pay full price for the Retrobrights so I waited. I almost got an octane lighting set, but I found an eBay seller who has open box Holley's and I offered 65 (75 maybe?) each. So I got a total of four, two low and two high beam, and he accepted. Anyway for 300 for a set, I was willing to give it a shot and the seller takes returns. I got the modern white versions from the seller.

I put them in last night and the picture above in Sinitro's post is spot on. I think for the first time that I've recently driven at night, you feel seen by the other drivers. A brand new Sublime Challenger Swinger model came up to me at a light and of course we were drooling over each other's cars. :)

Anyway, no additional harness, went right in, and they look pretty close to stock. They do have the Holley brand and are a little flat looking, but are definitely a huge improvement. It's like it draws out the large white flat field of view as in modern cars, but looking about as stock as you can get. Very pleased, just need to find a decent wall 25 feet away so I can aim them a little better. If anyone has a magic formula other than the 25 foot and aim about 2 inches below the center of your headlight on the wall, I'm all ears. Just don't have a deep enough garage and my driveway is not level.

Anyway, again, I wanted to share that since I waited out the h1 harnesses, relays, etc. and found something that went in with no mods, and a "fairly" decent price, I'm pretty pleased! We shall see how long they last!
Hmmm..
Happy things worked out. For my Holley install I didn't have to do any height adjustment, maybe because my stock lites were OK...

Just my $0.02...

Hmmm..
Happy things worked out. For my Holley install I didn't have to do any height adjustment, maybe because my stock lites were OK...

Just my $0.02...
Mine were really out since the PO had a fair amount of body work but looked like they were never adjusted properly. They’re great now, lights up the street about 25 feet and brights are incredible. I redid the aiming using the fsm instructions this evening. I appreciate your sharing your experience. Helped push me over the edge to get a set.

Mine were really out since the PO had a fair amount of body work but looked like they were never adjusted properly. They’re great now, lights up the street about 25 feet and brights are incredible. I redid the aiming using the fsm instructions this evening. I appreciate your sharing your experience. Helped push me over the edge to get a set.
Post a picture of them lite up when you can, I never thought of a LED upgrade.

It looks just like post #15. Same year car as well.

I just completed a headlight switch out. I bought the harness from one of our members on here. ( very happy with the quality) installed it, then after much research I settled on koito’s h4 Halogen, and h1 high beams with Tungsram bulbs. I bought from Daniel Sterns. I gotta say, Wow, Wow, Wow. Just amazing. No bucket cutting, plug and play. The quality of these lights are unmatched from what I have seen. Just a thought if your planning a change. Cracked back for the harness, slant6dan or Danial sterns lighting.

I just completed a headlight switch out. I bought the harness from one of our members on here. ( very happy with the quality) installed it, then after much research I settled on koito’s h4 Halogen, and h1 high beams with Tungsram bulbs. I bought from Daniel Sterns. I gotta say, Wow, Wow, Wow. Just amazing. No bucket cutting, plug and play. The quality of these lights are unmatched from what I have seen. Just a thought if your planning a change. Cracked back for the harness, slant6dan or Danial sterns lighting.
Link for Daniel lights?

Daniel Stern posts at FABO under the screen name "slantsixdan"......using all lower case letters.
Check him out over there. I've PM'd him a few times.
He may have a website, I am not sure.

Last edited:
Google Danial sterns lighting. He will come up. He is very good about getting back to you.

Hey crackedback. Its a great combination, your harness and his expertise on headlights. I’m a happy camper. Makes night driving a pleasure.

I've been using LED headlights in my old cars for a few years now. I had them in my 99 Jeep and I "wondered" years ago if they would work on my 66 Valiant. My work commute is in the dark out in the country and they make the world of difference seeing deer, etc. Any 7" headlight that they advertise will fit a Jeep Wrangler will fit in an old car. No special wiring needed.

I've been using LED headlights in my old cars for a few years now. I had them in my 99 Jeep and I "wondered" years ago if they would work on my 66 Valiant. My work commute is in the dark out in the country and they make the world of difference seeing deer, etc. Any 7" headlight that they advertise will fit a Jeep Wrangler will fit in an old car. No special wiring needed.
But the 5-3/4” headlights fit right in without any modifications. Just got my digitails installed yesterday. That completed all LED lights in my car from the inside out.

Here is the look after the headlight and harness swap. Love the lights. Very clear, great aiming ability.

9AD90608-4B02-4E82-904C-A103F0D9527D.jpeg

B4FAE880-244E-4C60-95D1-F845CF412064.jpeg

82F615C8-51F3-4F26-8346-1D77676589F5.jpeg

B52D2C86-1DDA-4344-9645-1552165B2B88.jpeg

Post a picture of them lite up when you can, I never thought of a LED upgrade.
Someone liked a post that I put in here today and I'd gotten distracted with other things with the car so I forgot to post a pic with the Retrobrights. So, here is a pic of the RR with the Retrobrights in front of the tunnel from the movie "Duel" from 1971. I recently found out I live close to it. So I took the RR out for a spin to the tunnel. It seems to be the cool thing around here to take a pic of your ride in front of the tunnel. :) Even in the day you can tell that I got the cool white version so you feel more seen in the daytime by other drivers. Worth every penny for just cruising around in LA traffic.

106.jpg

My whole car is Led, together with flashers for Led.
The headlight Leds have their own drivers close to the Led-bulbs.

No relays and the am-meter barely moves with high-beam on (At 650 rpm.). :thumbsup:

uacs2023.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back