• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Left brake light not working.

Cncguy1

Local time
7:52 AM
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what could be causing my left brake light to not work, in my 69 Charger. The left turn signal works and the tail light is on when lights are turned on but when the brake is pressed only the right side tail light is working. Any ideas what I need to look for?

I'm trying to figure out what could be causing my left brake light to not work, in my 69 Charger. The left turn signal works and the tail light is on when lights are turned on but when the brake is pressed only the right side tail light is working. Any ideas what I need to look for?
Chargers are notorious to have "socket" issues....I would start there first...make sure you have continuity and make sure the bulbs fits etc...take the socket out ground it and hit the brake....still nothing then check the wiring for piercing etc......

Your tail lights are dual element. The turn signal and brake function use the same high element. If your running lights and your turn signals works/flashes, your ground is good. That element is fed via a single dark green wire to the directional switch connector pin #6. That's where the element is manipulated by sending a steady (brake) or flashing (turn) signal. Your problem is in your turn signal switch.
Sounds silly but apply your brakes and slightly wiggle the turn signal lever. You might see your left brake light flicker.

Your tail lights are dual element. The turn signal and brake function use the same high element. If your running lights and your turn signals works/flashes, your ground is good. That element is fed via a single dark green wire to the directional switch connector pin #6. That's where the element is manipulated by sending a steady (brake) or flashing (turn) signal. Your problem is in your turn signal switch.
Sounds silly but apply your brakes and slightly wiggle the turn signal lever. You might see your left brake light flicker.
Thanks for the tip I'll go check that now.

Auto Transport Service
Back