• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LemonWedge 470 build thread

Spent the last 8 days in Cancun with the wife…. Rough duty. Back at it now though.

Manton pushrods arrived while I was away, so I’m finally installing rocker gear and setting Valve lash. The adjuster stud theads are barely showing at the bottom of the rocker, about 1/2 thread on avg. I’m happy with it. cup clearance at full lift is good. All in all, I’m happy with the results the pushrod length is yielding.
Q: what am I looking for in terms of rocker arm side clearance?
Q: Does the stock oil pump drive gear just press off the shaft? The new bronze gear has a roll pin hole, but there’s no roll pin in the stock gear.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
After having the shaft in the press and applying torch-heat, I’m still not be able to remove the stock gear from the intermediate shaft.
I had assumed I’d be able to get the stock steel gear off. When I saw there was no roll-pin in the stock shaft/gear, I scratched my head….. what am I missing here? If I can’t get this figured out, I’ll have to order an entire new shaft and gear.

help needed, guys.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Well it’s in its home, hopefully for a good long time. Installing an engine all by yourself offers it’s challenges. Still not quite bolted down, but we’re close.

7CEC4B72-1BC2-4356-967A-4CD8F030F8A6.jpeg

Last edited:
I woudn't use that shaft. Get one that is tapered at the hex to the round pirtion of the shaft. Seen more than one break right at the hex. Just happened to a friends new 512 on the dyno. Had to turn the crank, resize 2 rods, and replace the main caps. Not pretty
Doug

As dvw said, looks like a factory stock shaft, not a performance one. Recommend buying a complete assembled one from Milodon or another race supplier.

It looks as though I have a serious issue with spark plug to header clearance @ #’s 2 & 8. Angle plugs & Hooker Comp. 1-7/8” headers.
Shoulda‘ hung the headers on the engine stand.
Does anyone make a spark plug with a shorter porcelain section? How have you guys tackled this?

CF9D41F7-8C5A-4958-B039-FDB0FF53596A.jpeg

4D036028-82E1-4337-972D-F03E5D3B5603.jpeg

It looks as though I have a serious issue with spark plug to header clearance @ #’s 2 & 8. Angle plugs & Hooker Comp. 1-7/8” headers.
Shoulda‘ hung the headers on the engine stand.
Does anyone make a spark plug with a shorter porcelain section? How have you guys tackled this?

View attachment 1443992

View attachment 1443993
—-
That’s crazy. Have you bolted the header snug against the head and rechecked clearance? Maybe wrapped to thick at that point?

—-
That’s crazy. Have you bolted the header snug against the head and rechecked clearance? Maybe wrapped to thick at that point?

its only wrapped single thickness with 1/2 overlap. pulled really tight. Not sure how I’d get it any thinner than it is. While removing the wrap would gain me a tiny bit, it’s not going to make up the room I need.
I found some shorty plugs that will help, but I have the crappy feeling that I’m going to end up pulling the motor and header back out, cutting the wrap off, heating the tube and taking the ball-peen to it. Then re-wrapping.
No good deed goes unpunished.

Ok, back out it came tonight, unwrapped #2 header and proceeded to heat and hammer. Got decent clearance with a fairly minimum amount of denting. #8 turned out to be ok. Re-wrapped the header tube, and got the engine back to the point it was prior.
Punishment accepted, and time done.

Thanks for the update, I have my motor out now, and will be test fitting the hooker super comps. If all else fails looks like the comp are on sale

Thanks for the update, I have my motor out now, and will be test fitting the hooker super comps. If all else fails looks like the comp are on sale

What heads do you run?

Let me know how the SuperComps fit if you get there. I’ve heard horror stories, but they seem like the best performance option available. Mine are Hooker Comps; no complaints with them. Fitment and quality are both good. This is the first time I’ve ever had to ding them. Had them for over a decade, and they’ve held up great.

What heads do you run?

Let me know how the SuperComps fit if you get there. I’ve heard horror stories, but they seem like the best performance option available. Mine are Hooker Comps; no complaints with them. Fitment and quality are both good. This is the first time I’ve ever had to ding them. Had them for over a decade, and they’ve held up great.

My combo is the same ad yours. 470 TF 270 headed. Even the same Indy intake and 1000 cfm carb. I did stick the left side super comp in just for an eyeball , when I changed my starter, got a couple of spots marked so I can take a hammer to

I cannot even believe what I’m looking at. Under the car to put the flex-plate bolts in…. Bolt hole in the flex plate is too small. WHAT!?! This can’t be. Dug out the old non-SFI rated flexplate. Sure enough. Different size holes; big enough to fit the ARP bolts. Who woulda dreamed this was possible. PRW is going to get a piece of my mind!
transmission now has to come out (lesser of two evils vs. the engine coming back out at this point).
Trying to keep my spirits up, but feeling pretty defeated.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Bummer, when you take 1 step forward just to go 3 steps backwards. Just a tip, I always hold the flexplate against the converter to line up the holes then apply a mark to both, makes tighten then easier

Not quite as bad as I feared. Got the trans loose and just a couple inches off the block and realized that was enough space to get a wrench in there. Flexplate out.

I was complaining too my son a couple a weeks ago about aftermarket part fit. He told me "old man you've been doin this sh** 50 years and you just discovered that". Then he laughed at me.
Doug

I guess these are the things that make it feel so damn good when the winlight turns on. Onward and upward.

Getting close, guys. Hoping to fire this thing this coming weekend.

Looks like my existing stock throttle cable is not going to work with the new carburetor stud mounted throttle bracket I’ll be using. what are you guys using for throttle cable?

Looking at this….. Just want to make sure I don’t order something that wont work with a mopar pedal assembly for some reason.
Summit Racing SUM-200041B Summit Racing™ Braided Throttle Cables | Summit Racing

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back