• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LemonWedge 470 build thread

Getting close, guys. Hoping to fire this thing this coming weekend.

Looks like my existing stock throttle cable is not going to work with the new carburetor stud mounted throttle bracket I’ll be using. what are you guys using for throttle cable?

Looking at this….. Just want to make sure I don’t order something that wont with A Mopar pedal assembly for some reason.
Summit Racing SUM-200041B Summit Racing™ Braided Throttle Cables | Summit Racing
—-
LW perhaps you can make the existing cable work by modifying the bracket location? Maybe fab something up?

Made some new shock stud covers for the Dart today, liking my mil/lathe unit over here..
AA4CFF76-46B8-4A9A-942D-F1957FC5CEA1.jpeg
B7928B06-3659-476B-BA48-CC19F845971C.jpeg

Last edited:
With this bracket, just in case I do decide to use a dominator. 2nd picture was a temporary fix just to get it running

Screenshot_20230412-213704.png

Screenshot_20230412-214651.png

Last edited:
Amazon $19 cable with a homemade bracket. I did go with a heavy duty ball stud. Broke the skinny one.had a little modification to the pedal side.
Doug

20210227_110101.jpg

20210227_110904.jpg

20210227_152717.jpg

We’ll, it was a good day today, fellas. Today was my birthday, and I was able to give myself a nice gift…. The sound of Mopar horsepower!

The day wasn’t without its issues. I turned on the fuel pump and my carburetor sent fuel out the vent tube and all over my new engine. ****! Cleaned that up, then proceeded to spend the next 3 hours trying to figure out why the rear float was sticking. Had it apart 3 or 4 separate times. New needle & seat; no change. Verified fuel pressure; seemed right. Everything I could think of, until finally something I did fixed it. Not sure what…. But suddenly all was well.

Anyway, after the first cranks felt heavy against the starter and backfired, I backed a little timing out of it and boom! The 470 low-deck came to life and sounded every bit the rowdy beast I hoped for. Max-Lemon is alive!

We’ll, it was a good day today, fellas. Today was my birthday, and I was able to give myself a nice gift…. The sound of Mopar horsepower!

The day wasn’t without its issues. I turned on the fuel pump and my carburetor sent fuel out the vent tube and all over my new engine. ****! Cleaned that up, then proceeded to spend the next 3 hours trying to figure out why the rear float was sticking. Had it apart 3 or 4 separate times. New needle & seat; no change. Verified fuel pressure; seemed right. Everything I could think of, until finally something I did fixed it. Not sure what…. But suddenly all was well.

Anyway, after the first cranks felt heavy against the starter and backfired, I backed a little timing out of it and boom! The 470 low-deck came to life and sounded every bit the rowdy beast I hoped for. Max-Lemon is alive!

I wish you knew what "fixed" that problem so I could put that in my mental toolbox, but I totally understand being way more enthusiastic about the "fact" of it being resolved than curious about the "what" that made the problem go away.
The engine sounds GREAT, and I'm glad you made a point to show idle RPMs because I'm familiar with a higher than "normal" idle sounding like it's turning slower because of the cam mostly.

Looks great. Nice detail. Sounds great as well.
Doug

—-
A fine day it was! Sounds very healthy LW. Low 10’s. :)

I wish you knew what "fixed" that problem so I could put that in my mental toolbox, but I totally understand being way more enthusiastic about the "fact" of it being resolved than curious about the "what" that made the problem go away.
The engine sounds GREAT, and I'm glad you made a point to show idle RPMs because I'm familiar with a higher than "normal" idle sounding like it's turning slower because of the cam mostly.

I think it was something in the float hinge hanging it up. I took it out and back in twice. The second time I dunked it in a bowl of gasoline to verify it actually floated then dunked the whole thing and blew it dry with the air hose. It played Nice after that. All I can think is that there was something in hinge assembly Hanging it up.

I think it was something in the float hinge hanging it up. I took it out and back in twice. The second time I dunked it in a bowl of gasoline to verify it actually floated then dunked the whole thing and blew it dry with the air hose. It played Nice after that. All I can think is that there was something in hinge assembly Hanging it up.
—-
The springtime flooding is a common problem over here too, but on my red car. It’s a QF 950 and I have come to expect it to flood the first time I crack the 4bbls on the drive home from storage. Get out, tap on the carb bowls a bit and it smartens up. No doubt it’s in the hinge/pin area. It’s an annual thing for me.

Happy Birthday, belated
sorry I missed it, sounds like stuff is coming together
sounds nasty too, in a good way...

Got the last few pieces installed and took it for a couple of shake down runs around the neighborhood.
The Summit throttle cable worked out great. It’s adjustable / cut-able, and works great with the stock gas pedal setup
I put the coil over on the inner fender, right next to my ignition box. should stay a little cooler over there rather than the stock location.
lastly, the hood was bolted on, and it fits….. sort of. With no air cleaner, and the 1” 4-hole spacer I want to run is out, the hood will shut. Carb overflow tube is 3/4” from the hood. No room for any air cleaner that I’m aware of. Especially since my new throttle cable bracket eliminates a drop base. I’ve come to grips with cutting this hood. My dad was over yesterday, and coming from a proponent of original musclecars, his comment was “who are you kidding? this is a racecar now and an RO23 scoop would look great. cut the hood.”

lastly, once I drove it and got it fully warm, the idle oil pressure dropped significantly. 20-25 lbs at warm idle. It jumps to 50 as soon as you breath on the throttle, and drives at 60. I suppose that’s fine, but I’m used to 40-50 lbs at warm idle with the 451. I realize this one was built with looser clearances, and the 470 combo - chev rod width is probably the main culprit here. nonetheless, I’m contemplating a milodon oil pump just to be sure.

F1B96B4C-A016-4994-B16C-FF4BE91D98C6.jpeg

2A5F015C-8C39-4631-8986-B22E59BB40CD.jpeg

4CD4B557-FE4F-4B55-8165-D98D9436379D.jpeg

A2905ABA-E811-4415-844C-0AF3943E9B9A.jpeg

0C480BC5-F705-45E2-9189-20DE772B2B46.jpeg

Last edited:
20-25 lbs at warm idle. It jumps to 50 as soon as you breath on the throttle, and drives at 60
Sounds perfect!
I know you know, but I'll say it anyway, and I'll add that I don't know anything,
BUT
Too much oil pressure is bad, and what you have reported sounds perfect to me.

Hey LW looking good hope it exceeds your expectations.
Side note I see you don't have 1. Thought you might be interested

Screenshot_20230423-131322.png

Screenshot_20230423-131314.png

Got the last few pieces installed and took it for a couple of shake down runs around the neighborhood.
The Summit throttle cable worked out great. It’s adjustable / cut-able, and works great with the stock gas pedal setup
I put the coil over on the inner fender, right next to my ignition box. should stay a little cooler over there rather than the stock location.
lastly, the hood was bolted on, and it fits….. sort of. With no air cleaner, and the 1” 4-hole spacer I want to run is out, the hood will shut. Carb overflow tube is 3/4” from the hood. No room for any air cleaner that I’m aware of. Especially since my new throttle cable bracket eliminates a drop base. I’ve come to grips with cutting this hood. My dad was over yesterday, and coming from a proponent of original musclecars, his comment was “who are you kidding? this is a racecar now and an RO23 scoop would look great. cut the hood.”

lastly, once I drove it and got it fully warm, the idle oil pressure dropped significantly. 20-25 lbs at warm idle. It jumps to 50 as soon as you breath on the throttle, and drives at 60. I suppose that’s fine, but I’m used to 40-50 lbs at warm idle with the 451. I realize this one was built with looser clearances, and the 470 combo - chev rod width is probably the main culprit here. nonetheless, I’m contemplating a milodon oil pump just to be sure.

View attachment 1454440

View attachment 1454441

View attachment 1454442

View attachment 1454443

View attachment 1454444
—-
Good job LW! (Low 10’s)

Sounds like it is all good. Don't worry about low idle oil pressure. I also doubt that the narrow rods are a contributing factor. they can only leak what escapes due to rod bearing clearance. Even tight sie clerance won't change that. A high volume pump will increase idle oil pressure.
Doug

—-
Good job LW! (Low 10’s)

we’ll find out next weekend. Gonna load the new motorhome up and head to Woodburn, OR for their Nostalgia Event. Plan will be some TnT passes on Friday and if all goes well, we’ll enter Saturdays Event.

Hey LW looking good hope it exceeds your expectations.
Side note I see you don't have 1. Thought you might be interested

View attachment 1454485

was planning on fabbing one up myself, but Im all about simple, so I ordered one of these up. Thanks 67!
Trying to not have any expectations….. we’ll see what the timeslip says, and start whittling away from there.

Sounds like it is all good. Don't worry about low idle oil pressure. I also doubt that the narrow rods are a contributing factor. they can only leak what escapes due to rod bearing clearance. Even tight sie clerance won't change that. A high volume pump will increase idle oil pressure.
Doug

Thanks for the reassurance Doug. It currently runs the Melling HV pump. Currently on 30wt break-in oil. I have 8 qts of Lucas Racing semi-syn 10-40 In waiting. What weight oil do you like?

we’ll find out next weekend. Gonna load the new motorhome up and head to Woodburn, OR for their Nostalgia Event. Plan will be some TnT passes on Friday and if all goes well, we’ll enter Saturdays Event.

was planning on fabbing one up myself, but Im all about simple, so I ordered one of these up. Thanks 67!
Trying to not have any expectations….. we’ll see what the timeslip says, and start whittling away from there.

Thanks for the reassurance Doug. It currently runs the Melling HV pump. Currently on 30wt break-in oil. I have 8 qts of Lucas Racing semi-syn 10-40 In waiting. What weight oil do you like?
—-
I’ve been running 15W50 Synthetic for a few years, have switched to 5W50 Syn now and will see how that works.

Auto Transport Service
Back