• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lexan thickness

cbodybob

Local time
4:29 PM
Reaction score
Shedding weight this winter. What thickness of Lexan should I buy for the windshield ?

And you want to spend the extra for "mar resistant" - which will be a special order for most suppliers.

3/16" for windshield and 1/8" for the rest.
Don't waste your money on mar resistant.
It will scratch either way without proper care.

Well that settles it - no point in explaining it, is there !!!

I was cautioned against any thing but glass for the windshield as it fogs up easily.

I was cautioned against any thing but glass for the windshield as it fogs up easily.

From what, humidity or exposure to UV ?? General purpose polycarbonate (lexan) does not have any UV inhibitors in it. Acrylic (plexiglass) does. However, you don't want plexi for a car windshield !! So if you're going to use polycarb, you want to order it with A) UV inhibitors and B) a scratch-proof or mar resistant coating. These are readily available BUT will likely NOT be stocked by any local supplier. Average delivery should be about a week.

I know this not because I've used it but because I sell engineered plastics.

Check out Tuffak AR-1 at:
http://www.sheffieldplastics.com/

Well that settles it - no point in explaining it, is there !!!
I'm offering an opinion based on my experience. I've had both and in my opinion, I wouldn't spend the extra money again.
I don't understand why people get indignant when an opinion is offered.

From what, humidity or exposure to UV ?? General purpose polycarbonate (lexan) does not have any UV inhibitors in it. Acrylic (plexiglass) does. However, you don't want plexi for a car windshield !! So if you're going to use polycarb, you want to order it with A) UV inhibitors and B) a scratch-proof or mar resistant coating. These are readily available BUT will likely NOT be stocked by any local supplier. Average delivery should be about a week.

I know this not because I've used it but because I sell engineered plastics.

Check out Tuffak AR-1 at:
http://www.sheffieldplastics.com/

Fogs up from humidity.

Fogs up from humidity.

Fogging from humidity is the moisture in the air condensing on a cooler surface. There's no reason lexan would be any cooler than glass under the same weather conditions.

I’m looking at a company on Amazon. Little over $200 bucks for a sheet big enough to fit. I’ll have to cut it to fit yes. 3/16 but comes in a roll. Free shipping. Says they have it in stock. No telling how long it will take to get it to unroll.

That's sign material. It will have UV but no abrasion resistance. The rolls are very large and the material isn't very thick so it should flatten out reasonably well - especially if you can lay it in the hot sun for a while.

Price-wise I don't think that's great. I sell a whole 4 x 8 sheet for $230 plus tax Canadian !!

Look for a local supplier under "Plastic - sheet, rod" in your yellow pages. Are you close to these guys ??

Sabic Innovative Plastics US

Map & Directions

https://www.yellowpages.com/raleigh-nc/mip/sabic-innovative-plastics-us-488206285#reviews
Be the first to review!
540 Civic Blvd, Raleigh, NC 27610
(919) 212-1014

That's sign material. It will have UV but no abrasion resistance. The rolls are very large and the material isn't very thick so it should flatten out reasonably well - especially if you can lay it in the hot sun for a while.

Price-wise I don't think that's great. I sell a whole 4 x 8 sheet for $230 plus tax Canadian !!

Look for a local supplier under "Plastic - sheet, rod" in your yellow pages. Are you close to these guys ??

Sabic Innovative Plastics US
staticmap?format=png8&size=280x160&markers=35.77428%2C-78.png
Map & Directions

Be the first to review!
540 Civic Blvd, Raleigh, NC 27610
(919) 212-1014
It’s 36x72x3/16 for $209
My last car I called & visited several local stores. It was pretty expensive & most of them wasted my time digging through their scrap pile looking for pieces. I probably should try them again though. Sometime Facebook & craigslist has bargains on left over. Seems to sell quickly though

Sabic are global distributors so would be more likely to have it and if not, they would have regular shipments coming from manufacturers so they should be reasonably priced.

We don't call them "scrap piles", we call them "offcuts". When someone like yourself needs less than a full sheet we sell you what you need and keep the pieces for other people like yourself. It saves you money and we get a sale. If you think they wasted your time well ... I'm glad you didn't call me!

Sabic are global distributors so would be more likely to have it and if not, they would have regular shipments coming from manufacturers so they should be reasonably priced.

We don't call them "scrap piles", we call them "offcuts". When someone like yourself needs less than a full sheet we sell you what you need and keep the pieces for other people like yourself. It saves you money and we get a sale. If you think they wasted your time well ... I'm glad you didn't call me!

Wow you get offended easily.

Wow you get offended easily.

I'm not offended but I probably get more calls a week from people who I truly try to help but don't appreciate it. One time I had a guy call about a piece of plexi and I told him it would be $5 cash to which he replied "Huh, I thought you'd GIVE it to me". I asked him what he'd ever given me and he hung up. Nobody needs that ****. If someone calls looking for two square feet, I'm going to look in my offcuts - I'm not taking that out of a 4 x 8 sheet. If they don't want to wait while I look, **** 'em!

Auto Transport Service
Back