• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lifter tick after break-in

1STMP

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:50 AM
Reaction score
I think a cam lobe is wiped. We didn't have
time to pull a valve cover to investigate.
Checked the setup and the engine started
immediately. Brought it up to 2000 rpm
and let her rum for 20 minutes. Temp
reached 210 deg and stayed steady.
No pops or backfires while running,
but the was a barely discernable
screech like torque converter bolts
spinning against the cover. Didn't really
notice it until I replayed the vid I took
of the process.
After shutdown we let it cool off for
an hour.
On restart to fine tune, we now have a
loud enough lifter noise that can be heard
over the header noise that was not there
during the break-in.
Any suggestions or ideas you may have
as to what to look for would be greatly
appreciated.

Since the second sentence of your post was "didn't have time to pull a valve cover"...try not to assume the worst yet...
Exhaust leak developed at the header, pesky converter bolts, rocker interfering with a valve cover, rocker adjuster got forgot and started backing off, created slop or even popped a pushrod loose, V/P contact, loose bolt backing out of an accessory mount and hitting a rotating part, fan intermittently nicking the shroud...lots of possibilities. Just because it wasn't there during the initial run-in doesn't mean a problem wasn't developing, to be heard on the next start-up.
You said no pops or backfires; that's good news.

Get the valve covers off as as soon as you can and go from there.

Why ask for advice If you dont even make the time to do what you already know what needs to be done????? What is it that you would like anyone here to do/or tell you????

Why ask for advice If you dont even make the time to do what you already know what needs to be done????? What is it that you would like anyone here to do/or tell you????
woah take it easy.gif

Let's not be all over the fella just yet. Beanhead's got him, let's see what turns up.

Comp Cams lifters? Just curious.
I think a cam lobe is wiped. We didn't have
time to pull a valve cover to investigate.
Checked the setup and the engine started
immediately. Brought it up to 2000 rpm
and let her rum for 20 minutes. Temp
reached 210 deg and stayed steady.
No pops or backfires while running,
but the was a barely discernable
screech like torque converter bolts
spinning against the cover. Didn't really
notice it until I replayed the vid I took
of the process.
After shutdown we let it cool off for
an hour.
On restart to fine tune, we now have a
loud enough lifter noise that can be heard
over the header noise that was not there
during the break-in.
Any suggestions or ideas you may have
as to what to look for would be greatly
appreciated.

Drain the oil and see if it looks silver/shinny even run a magnet thru it and see if anything sticks.
If the engine is fresh there will always be some. I like to cut the filter open too and look for debris.Usually if a lifter wipes the cam there will be allot of metal in the pan.My 2 cents.

Did you use a "Break-In" oil? This lifter has less than an hour of run time on it...

IMG_8133.jpg
IMG_8134.jpg

Drain the oil and see if it looks silver/shinny even run a magnet thru it and see if anything sticks.
If the engine is fresh there will always be some. I like to cut the filter open too and look for debris.Usually if a lifter wipes the cam there will be allot of metal in the pan.My 2 cents.
Will do. Thanks.

Without knowing the circumstance
surrounding the event, it's unfair of you
to judge. Just so happens, I live 200
miles from where the truck is. We had
a family emergency, and had to haul ***
back home. (hence, no time to pull a
valve cover).
I'm now on the phone/texting with the
guy who was helping with the break-in,
with the suggestions y'all are generous
enough to give.

Since the second sentence of your post was "didn't have time to pull a valve cover"...try not to assume the worst yet...
Exhaust leak developed at the header, pesky converter bolts, rocker interfering with a valve cover, rocker adjuster got forgot and started backing off, created slop or even popped a pushrod loose, V/P contact, loose bolt backing out of an accessory mount and hitting a rotating part, fan intermittently nicking the shroud...lots of possibilities. Just because it wasn't there during the initial run-in doesn't mean a problem wasn't developing, to be heard on the next start-up.
You said no pops or backfires; that's good news.

Get the valve covers off as as soon as you can and go from there.
I appreciate your suggestions, and they
will be pursued. Thanks. Never had a
problem breaking in motors before this
one.

I'm really curious to see what the heck happened myself...
sadly, far too many cams are wiping out on break-ins these days, even when folks appear
to have used the correct oil and such.
I know Comp has had issues for a few years now, for example.

Yes. Straight 30wt with zinc additive.
That is not a "Break-In" oil, let alone the proper way to have a "High Zinc" oil that your motor will require. While I won't say that is your problem, but it is likely that you lost a lobe during "Break-In" with incorrect oil. When all is taken care of, us a proper "High Zinc" oil, and not regular colored water with an additive.

That is not a "Break-In" oil, let alone the proper way to have a "High Zinc" oil that your motor will require. While I won't say that is your problem, but it is likely that you lost a lobe during "Break-In" with incorrect oil. When all is taken care of, us a proper "High Zinc" oil, and not regular colored water with an additive.
Not arguing here, but Castrol 30wt
plus the zinc additive is what the cam
manufacturer stated to use. Granted,
we put the cam in 26 years ago. The
cam was re-lubed prior to installing the
intake and pan after sitting this long also.

when you re-lubed the cam after 26 years, did you make sure the lifters spin freely in their bores?

Auto Transport Service
Back