• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lifting rearend

koosh

Local time
3:39 PM
Reaction score
So am looking to raise rear end of 69 RR, Looking for that old school jacked up look...is my only choice air shocks?

Another more stable option is shock extensions (or longer shocks) & longer rear leaf spring hangers. You can buy them at most parts stores pretty cheap, but you may need some large washers as spacers.

dont use air shocks you can damage the shock mount or rip it. Had the same problem on my challenger. Bought new rear leafs with +2" over stock.. Espo springs http://www.springsnthings.com/

shackles , lower the front end, bigger tires... going to mess with your handling. Might want to rethink this.

84fcae5217cf39e5d1178ad952a6de23.jpg

:lol:

dont use air shocks you can damage the shock mount or rip it. Had the same problem on my challenger. Bought new rear leafs with +2" over stock.. Espo springs http://www.springsnthings.com/

can you post a pic of your car's stance with the 2" over? thanks

I like a little high on all 4 corners, handling be damned

You can get 2” rise in the rear by buying “add a leaf” from Summit Racing for about $35. They’re partial leafs that you add to your existing leaf spring stacks. Simple to install, cheap and will give you the extra lift you want. I put them on my GTX to give me a little extra to clear my rear tires. Check them out.

P1020459.JPG
Ive done that-added2-and it did nothing for me. I will look for a pic sold the car last year.

challenger stock look is tire in wheel well.

that's a little too high for me, looks more than 2"

but I see too many B bodies that look to have a load in their diaper

I despise "shackles", air shocks, all that stuff. Silly looking at the least, downright dangerous at the worst.
Install the Mopar Super Stock springs and stuff all the meat under there that clears safely, if that's what you're into.
Safest way to raise a vehicle is with tire size.

I've had air shocks on my Bee since the late 70's and just put a new set on during my restoration. They've never been used to put the arse end away up in the air, it's just hard to get 5 guys into the drive in when only one appears to be in the car and 4 are in the trunk without looking suspicious otherwise!! Was the only way we could also afford the beer! LOL For the ones saying they ruin the upper shock attach bulkhead, hell... that is the ONLY piece we reused under my car. New pans, rails, rear shackle mounts, tank braces, etc. The shock mount was reused.

Hmm, I found this on my uncles 70’ RR, had air shocks on it for quite some time, cracked the shock mount and was welded back together by a blind guy. They get fatigued and crack because they weren’t designed for air shocks.

5027C43B-655C-4BAA-A0FB-5552301ADE7F.jpeg E5543A1F-28A5-4E4B-9455-0BF945CCA8FD.jpeg D82BC654-A0F8-4D00-A325-FC858C8B97BD.jpeg

I had a shop buddy make a new pair of shackles for me look stock but about 2 inches hole spacing (2 inch rise). They are just on the edge of noticeable as I never was a fan of shackles look but did the trick until someday doing it more politically correct.

I despise "shackles", air shocks, all that stuff. Silly looking at the least, downright dangerous at the worst.
Install the Mopar Super Stock springs and stuff all the meat under there that clears safely, if that's what you're into.
Safest way to raise a vehicle is with tire size.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
GET TWO PASS SIDE S/S SPRINGS FOR UR VEHICLE WEIGHT!

Hmm, I found this on my uncles 70’ RR, had air shocks on it for quite some time, cracked the shock mount and was welded back together by a blind guy. They get fatigued and crack because they weren’t designed for air shocks.
View attachment 605840 View attachment 605841 View attachment 605842
:wtf:
Wow, that's some scary stuff right there.
There's been several articles over the years published in the various magazines about the dangers of using air shocks on our Mopars
and that's a prime example of why it isn't a good idea.
As you correctly stated, the cross piece was never designed to bear the weight of the vehicle, as that isn't the purpose of shocks to
begin with. Springs bear weight; shocks control movement.

Auto Transport Service
Back