• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lifting rearend

Did you research this mod.? Use the search box. Been covered like crazy .

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
GET TWO PASS SIDE S/S SPRINGS FOR UR VEHICLE WEIGHT!
That's how I did my 68 coronet ... drivers side spring doesn't have the plastic washers between the leafs, made a racket going down the road, swapped it out after 2 months of driving ... 2 pass side springs now ( 456 I believe ), 3yrs later, good ride height and no squeak noise !

So am looking to raise rear end of 69 RR, Looking for that old school jacked up look...is my only choice air shocks?

Is this the look you're going for? :popcorn:
tumblr_my3os0WfBQ1s3pgtho1_1280.jpg

Is this the look you're going for? :popcorn:
View attachment 605971
Good Lord
mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg

I remember that kind of ride from high school, back when we thought it was cool. :lol:
I also remember some cars getting wrecked from being such pigs to drive from it, too.
Thankfully, I grew out of that whole air shock thing way back when. :thumbsup:

Espo springs has stock ,1" and 2" and about the same price as Summit Racing mopar -made in Mexico-Crap. Sorry but was so disappointed in them. Tried to give the mopar e bodie springs away and no one will take them. Call them and tell them what you want. Great people

Sorta kinda, maybe not as high, but close! Am also installing 18" wheels, what size rear tires are those? Any body/spring mods u did to fit the tires?

You may want to re-think the 18" wheel idea. The largest diameter tire you're going to find is going to be around 29.5", which is going to be a 325/45r18. That defeats the entire purpose of the old-school street racer stance. You want some 33" x 15" rear tires at a minimum tucked underneath to get away with that look. JMHO. Honestly, just drive what you love and build it the way you want it. Life is too short to do otherwise. BTW I'm running 18 x 10's. 295/45r18 (28.5" x 11.6" tire).

You may want to re-think the 18" wheel idea. The largest diameter tire you're going to find is going to be around 29.5", which is going to be a 325/45r18. That defeats the entire purpose of the old-school street racer stance. You want some 33" x 15" rear tires at a minimum tucked underneath to get away with that look. JMHO. Honestly, just drive what you love and build it the way you want it. Life is too short to do otherwise. BTW I'm running 18 x 10's. 295/45r18 (28.5" x 11.6" tire).
So these 295/45/18's fit without any mods?

So these 295/45/18's fit without any mods?

Yes, as long as you order the correct wheel backspacing and offset. The rear quarter panel is flush with the top of the wheel. Everything is in the stock location, the car isn't stock, but as far as the frame / wheel wells / leaf locations, yes, nothing has changed. I run a 27" x 10" tire on the front (255/45r18).

Yes, as long as you order the correct wheel backspacing and offset. The rear quarter panel is flush with the top of the wheel. Everything is in the stock location, the car isn't stock, but as far as the frame / wheel wells / leaf locations, yes, nothing has changed. I run a 27" x 10" tire on the front (255/45r18).
sounds good.....yikes, you must have power steering!

sounds good.....yikes, you must have power steering!

No power steering, 16:1 manual box :steering: It's an inch lower in the rear now than it was in the video. Slightly lower on front, replaced the torsion bar adjusters before getting a new front-end alignment.

Last edited:
Aaaahhhh! The 70's Stinkbug look. Helps improve your milage since you are going downhill. Its cool right up there with disco. Great for twitchy handling, poor front end alignments and killing front tires. And yes, the shock mount is not intended or engineered to hold the car up by using air shocks. Get springs if you are going to do the retro look and you will most likely need longer rear shocks too.

So as i get ready to order springs, took some measurements....turns out front is lower by 1/2 inch on drivers side, and rear is 1 1/4" lower on drivers side???
Is that current leaf spring or torsion bar adjustments?

Torsion bar. Get the front set where you want, then order springs. Also when you adjust the tb’s, it will affect the opposite side rear.

Torsion bar. Get the front set where you want, then order springs. Also when you adjust the tb’s, it will affect the opposite side rear.
Any trick to adjusting those? Never done this before
Thanks

Lift the car up, get tires off the ground, and tighten the bolts. Set back down, roll the car forward/backward a few feet, bounce it up/down and check the height. Repeat as necessary to get your desired height.

So by tightening bolts you mean these?
15267531521431890721991.jpg

Does tightening lift the front?

No!!
Jack the car up, the lower control arms have a bolt under/in between them. You can’t miss it.

No!!
Jack the car up, the lower control arms have a bolt under/in between them. You can’t miss it.
Found it!
Does tighten raise or lower front?

Auto Transport Service
Back