• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for biggest discs to fit under 15” - looking for safe after serious brake failure

Actually found a local kit that uses a 11.8" rotor with hub (rather than all in ons) - however it has an adaptor that requires 2 x 8mm spacers to mount the calliper. it also uses a single sided twin pot caliper with twin 42mm pots - 1.65". Braking area ends up being 4.28" squared. Verses the 5.94" squared from Cass's kit. Unless my mth is wrong?

The local kit used local parts which is tempting, but I am looking for the best braking and I'd prefer hub mount....

After reading some of your guys posts I’m not sure I have the correct master bore. Mine is a 7/8 bore recommended by bill Reilly of Reilly MotorSports. 4 wheel disc brake. 12.88” rotors in the front 6 piston caliper, 12.19” 4 piston in the back, no power.

For reference to the post here’s a 12.19” rotor and 4 piston caliper on a 15x7 with 4.5” backspacing. As said before it will vary wheel by wheel and you need to know the caliper clearance of the wheel!

2D72768E-0D23-4DFB-81EC-0A463E89E959.jpeg 227A346D-352B-4B23-8C9D-2128FADF7DAF.jpeg

Have you used them yet? If so how are they? I really like the Wilwoods, but the bracket used and the use of up to 3 washer style shims between the caliper and the thin bracket are a real turn off for me.

Have you used them yet? If so how are they? I really like the Wilwoods, but the bracket used and the use of up to 3 washer style shims between the caliper and the thin bracket are a real turn off for me.
No I haven’t got the car on the road yet, I expect a well performing brake system! The shins are fine but you need to make sure the bolts are properly secured. There’s a diagram that comes with the kit that shows just how the bracket bolts should be engaged, no offense but I suspect this step was not done correctly when your system was installed.

No offence taken. I got the kit on the car when I got it. it was one of maybe 4 things that I didn't redo. I did check it all over and it appeared to be installed well. Guess I should have gone over it again.

Either way, in the case of something unforeseen happening, that thin bracket clearly lacks the strength to navigate it. Mount points on a standard hub are minimum 10mm think or about 1/2", they could easily take some abuse in a dire situation. The 5mm bracket from wildwood and other companies won't be able to take the same abuse.

Some of the kits designed for bigger kits have some really good quality thick billet adaptors, but just nothing for the smaller wheels unfortunately!

Thats the main reason I'll probably end up with Cass's kit. Calliper to hub/spindle, no thin brackets, shims etc to worry about.

Possible yours are an earlier kit? Mine had nice THICK adaptors, nothing in either my front or rear kit concerned me one bit as it all appeared more than up to the task. I’ll try and get some measurements next time I get over to the shop. You’d have to think Wilwood wouldn’t put junk out there with the amount of road race cars running their brake kits.

Here’s a comparison of my brembo 4 piston calipers to Wilwood 6 piston. Brembo pots are much larger.

E7AFB42B-F4AC-49D7-8F5C-904FFCC6E853.jpeg

I think for race, they would be fine. Extra checks, limited long time use without checks etc. Usually short periods of heavy abuse. In there real world where weird **** happens and checks can be fewer and further between, then I just want more material to safe guard me. With a sprung washer, that bolt shouldn't have gone any where, but it did. Thats what I ended up with.

There isn't anything close to the 6 pot kit from wildwood out there that will fit a 15" - for me tho, I'm going to choose extra safe guards over all out performance. This is a rarity for me! haha

I think I'm set on the local twin pots now. The are approved by local laws, parts are easy to get and service and I don't have to worry about getting brake pads through quarantine. I'll update you all when I get them.

I run the 73 New yorker type brakes on most everything
I really do not see much difference between pin and slider calipers if the sliders are smooth and a little spray molly
15 x 7 or 8 wheels work
I have a 68 polara drum conversion where I kept the manual brakes- works fine- but maybe not for a little girl
the rear wheels were locking up so I put smaller wheel cylinders in the rear and did not have to install an adjustable control- when I do I put it just in front of the front seat so it can be reached while moving The Polar went to station wagon rear brakes
BTW 3" drums distort big time when hot we used to weld reinforcing rods into the shoes
I have also used 14 inch brakes with 17 inch wheels
Ever have a drum brake vehicle refuse to stop at the bottom of a hill? Velvetouch brakes fix that- but drag the brakes down the street when you start of or the first cold stop is really exciting

If you want the absolute best brakes... this was $400 plus my adapters.

But not a chance that it'll fit a 15 inch wheel. The factory 70's brakes are the way to go for that.

IMG_20180123_233214_706.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back