• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for suggestions on what equipment to use to move some classic vehicles.

saw

...or at least clippers.

thank you. snack block will be added to my list. Waiting for some snow to melt.

View attachment 1433765

View attachment 1433766

View attachment 1433767

View attachment 1433769
Cool, looks like fun. Forgot to mention
the use of a dyneema winch rope.
Much lighter than a steel cable and
zero recoil if it breaks. The only thing
to be careful of is any sharp edges
against the rope when pulling. I
also found that two 6 foot lengths
of 6 inch diameter steel pipe can
get a car body moving where axles
have been removed. Finding
someone to help with a winch
would be a major asset.
Image03082014111310.jpg

Last edited:
I am having trouble retrieving one car. Is there away to bypass the locking steering? I have no key. Can't turn the steering, can't put into neutral to get it on the trailer

I miss this guy. 25 ton winch was a bit of overkill of course, I used to winch my International on the deck when it's autoshift transmission died once a year.
And yes a Snatch block is pretty handy, with this big guy I couldn't get in to line up nicely everywhere so a snatchblock works great for pulling something out of a tight spot sometimes.
On the locked steering, sometimes you can pull the steering wheel off and remove the lock pawl.

limey home 2.JPG

I am having trouble retrieving one car. Is there away to bypass the locking steering? I have no key. Can't turn the steering, can't put into neutral to get it on the trailer
Can you knock the pitman arm loose with a pickle fork? Then you could steer the front straight just by hand turning the wheels.

You could use a rented car dolly. Jack the front wheels
off the ground, roll the dolly under, strap it down, and
tow the car. Remove the driveshaft at the rear diff
and tie it up out of the way.

Depending on the car there should be either a button (use a pen or paperclip) or a grenade pin inside the console near the shifter, to let you get out of park. Steering...dunno. Dollies? or just slide 'er the shortest distance possible (presuming you have a winch)

I have one lastd Duster to retrieve. Torstion bar on the drivers side is broke, that corner is dragging. Any ideas on how to load this on a trailer??

Pull the clip on the shift lever at the trans.

Remove the rag joint or slider box from the steering column.

All easier than the pittman arm or drive shaft.

Pull the clip on the shift lever at the trans.

Remove the rag joint or slider box from the steering column.

All easier than the pittman arm or drive shaft.
I got it done. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get the last Duster home. Driver side torstion bar is broke. That corner is dragging. Wondering how to load it on the trailer.

Harbor Freight furniture dolly under the broke end of the T bar?

Maybe lash it real good with a ratchet strap?

...or ratchet strap the T bar to the fender.

I have one last Duster to retrieve. Torsion bar on the drivers side is broke, that corner is dragging. Any ideas on how to load this on a trailer??

Raise it so the suspension hangs and fill the gap between the lower control arm rubber bumper and frame with a piece of steel or hardwood. How I loaded this Satellite for the same reason. Needing to do this to a couple more cars so I can move them too.

IMG_2431.JPG

Raise it so the suspension hangs and fill the gap between the lower control arm rubber bumper and frame with a piece of steel or hardwood. How I loaded this Satellite for the same reason. Needing to do this to a couple more cars so I can move them too.

View attachment 1469211
A buddy broke a torsion bar off-roading a Nissan 4x4. Did the same thing you mentioned...jacked, inserted block of wood between lower control arm & bumpstop, ratchet strapped it in place...and (carefully) wheeled it out and then home.

Auto Transport Service
Back