• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lost oil pressure 440 mag r/t

2fast4you

Local time
12:22 PM
Reaction score
Started up my 1970 coronet 440 mag rt couple days ago and heard the lifters making noise looked down and no oil pressure. This car has only 18,000 miles on it but had been stored for 25 years or so, it was running great before this happend. Took the oil pump and pan off, the pump oil shaft is turning ok. If the shaft is turning and no oil pressure i would assume the oil pump is bad? Anyone have any other suggestions or solutions. Thanks for any help

Did you open the pump up and inspect the gears?When was the last time you ran it?With the pan off,did you look at the rod caps for discoloration??

Lost oil pressure

Yes i did take the pump apart, it seems to turn ok but it has some deep scratches on the surface of the gear where it bolts togeather. I ran it just 4 days ago and it ran great, no discoloration on the caps. I'am not much on auto repair, but not affraid to try. I do have a service manaul ordered. I have only driven the car about 3 miles since december 2010 when i purchused it. I have a post with the car running. Thank you so much for the help. Ken

I have seen the pick up tube crack or brake off. Pick up could be pluged up also. Does the shaft turn by hand or did you have someone crank the motor over?

How long did you run it before you shut it off? And did you change the oil and filter after your last successful run? Reason I ask is there are some crappy oil filters out there and it's possible the seal on the bypass is bad and the filter drained back to the pan over time. I had this happen on my 66 Ford truck. I start it up and it would clatter for a while until it got oil pressure. Put on a new filter and it solved the problem.

i have seen the pick up tube crack or brake off. Pick up could be pluged up also. Does the shaft turn by hand or did you have someone crank the motor over?

ichcked the tube and filter seems ok

how long did you run it before you shut it off? And did you change the oil and filter after your last successful run? Reason i ask is there are some crappy oil filters out there and it's possible the seal on the bypass is bad and the filter drained back to the pan over time. I had this happen on my 66 ford truck. I start it up and it would clatter for a while until it got oil pressure. Put on a new filter and it solved the problem.

as soon as i noticed no oil pressure about 1-2 min or so, i checked with a magnet to see if i had any metal particals in the bottom of the oil pan found nothing. Think maybe i spun a bearing, thats my luck!!! Thanks

Need to get back to basic diagnostics.Reinstall pan & pump,remove distributor and drive gear.With oil in pan,use a drill to spin the pump {counterclockwise}.You can hear the pump start to labor once it's primed and starts moving oil.It may take a while.If you still have no o/p,the next step is to remove the valve covers and verify that all the lifters are still in place and that no rockers have excessive play and maybe do a valve lash check.You said the pump cover has some scratches.Are they just small scratches or are they GAUGED??If the pump is still out,can you post some pic's so we can see the "scratches"??

lost oil pressure

Here are some picsnof pump, and I will try your suggestions. thanks, ken

Attachments

• pump 001.JPG
    pump 001.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 382
  • pump 002.JPG
    pump 002.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 369
  • pump 004.JPG
    pump 004.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 373
Ken,do you still have the oil pan off??Something went through the pump,hopefully it was caught in the filter.Do you have a torque wrench??I suggest you remove one of the rear main caps and 2 rod caps in the rear of the crank for inspection.Make sure to mark the caps position with a number and arrow pointing foward if they are not numbered already.I also prefer to reinstall the nuts back in the same location also.This stuff doesn't just fall off after undoing the fasteners.For the main cap,loosen the 2 bolts all the way,lift the 2 bolts up about 1/2 inch and use them to move the cap back & fourth to remove.The rod caps you can tap with a leather or rubber mallet.

Report back with pictures:idea1:

another shot of the bottom of pump, is this normal?
ok i will do it tommorrow. thanks
ps: i used a magnet to find something in the oil pan but found nothing, should i check in the screen and oil filter?

Attachments

• pumps 001.JPG
    pumps 001.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 363
Sure,take a look at the pick up screen and cut the filter open to check for debris.When you pop the caps,that will tell if there is any real damage.The marks on the pump show thst something passed through.Those pumps are not alot of money and depending what your finding are will determine the course of action required,if any.:glasses6:

Here are some picsnof pump, and I will try your suggestions. thanks, ken

These pumps will move oil with 10 times the amount of gouges than what you show here. Sure, some dirt got in there but I doubt this is the reason you have no oil pressure.

could you have dropped a pushrod due to the lifter colapsed from sitting then when it starts the lifter will get pushed up to far and expose the oil galley and you will loose all pressure

I would echo the recommendations of a couple others and look to your top end before you tear into the bottom too far. If you have a collapsed lifter (hydraulic) or a broken rocker or pushrod that alowed the lifter to jump out you won't get any pressure.

With the gouge in the pump rotor, I'm surprised it didn't shear off the hex from the intermediate shaft....

could you have dropped a pushrod due to the lifter colapsed from sitting then when it starts the lifter will get pushed up to far and expose the oil galley and you will loose all pressure

I will pull the valve covers and check it, did'nt have time today but tommorrow I will. thanks, Ken

I would like to thank everyone for all the help and support, happy days again. The problem was I had a stuck exhaust valve on #7 and bent the pushrod replaced it and all is well. Thanks, Ken

Auto Transport Service
Back