• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Machining a cast crank in the rough.....

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:42 PM
Reaction score
The old fashion way. 1930's technology?? Dang. This must be India or Russia maybe? And cutting cast iron sucks and cutting it everyday all day long to boot double sucks.

Belarus in Europe. Dang, that’s something. I think Henry Ford had a lot more modern machining equipment than that going on in the machine shop for the Model T.

Makes those eagle and scat cranks look better everyday! Wonder what the Chinese machine shops look like?

They can cut cranks but I think more importantly they could use a good brick mason and a good foundation man.
That's one heck of a sterile work environment :eek:

Phew.....after seeing the thread title....I feared the worst....Cranky turning on the lathe wearing only his Mankini. :lol:

no safety glass's no nothing for protection . the old days

Wearing as long sleeve bath robe to boot..... i could'nt watch it... I figured that guy was gonna end up wrapped up in a lathe any second.

amazing the blank he starts on, the tolerance is hammer adjusted into concentricity @ 0:56

Speaking as a machinist, if I had to do that every day, I would kill myself.
Me too!!! Nearly 30 years experience working for someone else and now I have my own 'very' small shop. Mainly use it for doing rear end work.....which isn't very often these days.

Phew.....after seeing the thread title....I feared the worst....Cranky turning on the lathe wearing only his Mankini. :lol:
Didn't say 'in the buff' lol

Wearing as long sleeve bath robe to boot..... i could'nt watch it... I figured that guy was gonna end up wrapped up in a lathe any second.
Worked at a couple of shops that didn't allow sleeves before hiring on at Exxon Baytown refinery and they allowed long sleeves which amazed me....at first. If you don't do dumb stuff, the long sleeves keep the hot chips off of your arms. I usually had a small shield on the carriage but there was always a stray chip that would get past the shield but with sleeves, it didn't create a burn. That was all fine and dandy until someone did something dumb and got hung up and then no more sleeves. Probably worked there 10 years before that happened and the dumbass didn't get hurt but he needed help getting 'unhung'.....but at least he was able to get things stopped before anything real bad happened. Whenever someone got hurt out there, the rules got changed and well, a lot of the rules only made the job harder to do. After 26 years out there, I was glad to retire!

amazing the blank he starts on, the tolerance is hammer adjusted into concentricity @ 0:56
Depending on what I was working on, the 'hammer adjustment' usually did ok especially with working on a large lathe. When I saw that in the vid, it brought back some old memories LOL.

okie dokie.
im not a machinist.
took a machine shop back in hs
im now, a heavy industrial hvac meckanick.
i have an idea how **** is made
how many times they get to beat the shaft into eyeball concentricity?
got in the vid, 20 minutes.
they sure run the machines hard, taking alot off in 1 pass, pushing drill bits so hard, if i did that, smoke and instant dulling.
and.......... no oil anywhere? except the 'machinists' hair?
all wearing flip flops and open sandals?
no safety equipment, or even hand shoes?
wow. no wonder **** from 3rd world countries is.......... ****

okie dokie.
im not a machinist.
took a machine shop back in hs
im now, a heavy industrial hvac meckanick.
i have an idea how **** is made
how many times they get to beat the shaft into eyeball concentricity?
got in the vid, 20 minutes.
they sure run the machines hard, taking alot off in 1 pass, pushing drill bits so hard, if i did that, smoke and instant dulling.
and.......... no oil anywhere? except the 'machinists' hair?
all wearing flip flops and open sandals?
no safety equipment, or even hand shoes?
wow. no wonder **** from 3rd world countries is.......... ****
Machining cast iron is sort of different animal. You can hog it pretty good but can't go too high on the spindle speed or you'll burn up the tooling. Most of that vid was probably 2x's fast forward if you didn't notice.

We had a shaft grinder at the machine shop in the refinery where I worked but it was only a cylindrical grinder and a manual. I hated it mainly because of the coolant it used to grind with plus you had to really know the machine's manorisms. It totally messed up my sinuses. Anyways, we had this one guy that liked the grinders which also included a surface grinder big enough to put a small car on. I didn't mind running that thing so much since the coolant wasn't so much in your face. When we machined a new pump shaft, the norm was to leave .010" on them so the grinder could finish them to size. Well, I started leaving .008 and the guy on the grinder liked that since he could finish grind faster and end up with more butt time. Next thing was to leave .006 (yeah, my lathe was good enough to do them that close and more) and he liked that too and more so. Then next shaft he got from me was .004 over and he bitched lol. Said it didn't leave enough if he screwed up :D. Little did they know how many shafts that were made in the lathe and never saw the grinder.....all the while thinking that they ALL had to be ground to size. Didn't do the larger shafts that way but did many of the smaller ones.

Yeah, the coolant is very important because if you are going to be inhaling it all shift,
it needs to be clean and not alkaline. We had different coolants in our shop for different
jobs. Also, some of our equipment hat exhaust systems on them to either pull the fog
out of the building or wring it out of the air and return it to the shop. We were big on
Health and Safety, plus coolant tastes Yucci!

Auto Transport Service
Back