• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mallory Comp Pump 140 Series Fuel Pump

ykf7b0

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:03 PM
Reaction score
My Mallory 140 (4140) electric fuel pump for my carbureted engine is failing and I wanted to give a shot at rebuilding it. I was hoping if anyone has had a successful rebuild with this type of pump you might offer some tips. Thanks! Greg

The Mallory comp 140 pump in my GTX was very noisy after I hadn't run for two years. The engine came out in a hurry, so the fuel system sat untreated and untouched-my fault. The "rebuild" was just a very thorough inspection and cleaning of all components, no rebuild kit needed for me-and the pump was 15 years old at the time-got lucky i guess? I will say this-INDEX EVERYTHING before you separate anything! It will run in reverse if its clocked incorrectly upon reassembly, and you will spend an hour and a half trying to figure out why you aren't getting any fuel......don't ask me how I know this.....

I appreciate that mr. belvedere! One final question for you... what did you use to clean the internal parts?

Choke cleaner for the pump gear and rotor, electrical contact cleaner for the motor parts. Don't run it dry, fuel lubricates the pump, so put the pump back together with some motor oil before you bench test it. Are you suspecting low pressure or volume up front? Can you watch the gauge while driving the car?

Thanks! I have a fuel pressure gauge in the passenger compartment and the pressure will fluctuate and gradually fall way off. After the pressure gets really low I can hit the pump with the side of my fist and it will pump normally for just a short time. I have a rebuild kit ordered for it.

I did rebuild the Mallory and it wasn't a bad job at all. The brushes were the problem because they were really worn down badly. I did take advice suggested and indexed everything as I disassembled. It is performing really well!!! I love the Mallory 140 Series Fuel Pumps!!!!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back