• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Max Wedge cross ram question for those who have one.

I have an A&A repro on my 511, 10.3 to 1 comp, solid roller cam, with a pair of original 3705 750 AFB's. Once warmed up, it is no problem driving around town.
IMG_0134.jpg

The original Chrysler max wedge cross ram and the A&A max wedge share the same outside surface appearance in that all leading edges of the deck are rounded and smooth with no casting marks. Also the freeze plug boss is rounded at the top of the deck. The Mopar Performance intake has a much different outward appearance in that the leading edge of the carb deck is sharp with a casting line to the face. Also the freeze plug boss is cast flat to the deck surface. The left front of these intakes is where to look for quick manifold ID. Nick T.

Chrysler/A&A intake

MW1.jpg

Mopar Performance intake

MW2.jpg
MW3.jpg

MW1.jpg MW2.jpg MW3.jpg

unless for looks its a waste of money and time . lipstick on a pig....

I'm relatively new to the Max Wedge, had mine on the road for a few weeks. Like everyone has mentioned, not the easiest to to start. I'm running two Holleys. Alloy heads and 10.5 compression, 500+ inch stroker. But once its started, no problems. Runs well. Looks wild. And through the Max Wedge exhaust manifolds and 3 inch twin exhaust, I think its the best sounding motor I have heard.

if you have high compression witch he dosent, it works great . im going by the package he has and with that its just something expensive to bolt on and look good .it will not work good low compression witch it isnt designed for.
thats what the thread is based on right, so lets lead him in the right direction because this package isnt cheap .
i vote duel plane 700 vaccuum secondary .

(Trying to decide whether to go resto mod or Max Wedge tribute with my '64 Polara. The big question I have is exactly how streetable is the dual quad crossram? I would not be running ridiculously high compression nor an over the top cam but something around 9.5:1 and a nice hydraulic MP muscle car cam along with an overdrive 833 and 323 gears. Strictly a weekend street car. So with a set of matched AFB's how streetable is that manifold carb combo on a mild performance 440???)

if you have high compression witch he dosent, it works great . im going by the package he has and with that its just something expensive to bolt on and look good .it will not work good low compression witch it isnt designed for.
thats what the thread is based on right, so lets lead him in the right direction because this package isnt cheap .
i vote duel plane 700 vaccuum secondary .

(Trying to decide whether to go resto mod or Max Wedge tribute with my '64 Polara. The big question I have is exactly how streetable is the dual quad crossram? I would not be running ridiculously high compression nor an over the top cam but something around 9.5:1 and a nice hydraulic MP muscle car cam along with an overdrive 833 and 323 gears. Strictly a weekend street car. So with a set of matched AFB's how streetable is that manifold carb combo on a mild performance 440???)

I'm sorry, but if you read that in a book, the part about not working good with low compression, you got misinformed. Yes, the factory cars were either 11:1 or 13:1, but I, along with several others on this site am running lower compression motors (10:1, in my case) and get along just fine. The poster asked "how streetable is this set-up?" and those who actually run the crossram responded with truthful, first hand knowledge.
BTW, 9.5:1 isn't that low anymore for a street car...

yes they will run the smallest carter 500 cfm carbs you can , performance wise its a waste . do as you please they look cool . yes i do read lots of books and do know about compression duel carbs and single carb, cross rams , tunnel ram set ups . yes i have worked with this set up and many others / yes its all for looks if you have low compression . its like saying you can get good perfomance with aluminum heads with low compression /nope . yes they run good yes they can sound good with your 3/4 race cams haha but its not what you are saying in real world its all for looks and to say i have it thats all . calling it like it is . take it to the track give me a 1/4 mile per hour that will say all

You know when you read about our cars in the 60's they say how the Max Wedge was to much a beast on the street with the solid cam and I read it alot about the muscle cars in the 60's but to be honest they are nothing compared to what I see some guys running on the street now a days. I run a solid flat tappet thats 264 & 270 @ .050 with .585 and .592 lift but I run 1.6 rockers which puts my lift at about .630. But it starts and drives great and I start it in 35 degree weather in the winter to just run the car every few weeks while its in the garage and it starts and runs fine even in cold weather. Its just kinda funny when I read about how .510 lift and 290 advertised duration is to much to drive on the street and then I look at the roller cammed cars I see on the street today. How the times have changed. Ron

- - - Updated - - -

yes they will run the smallest carter 500 cfm carbs you can , performance wise its a waste . do as you please they look cool . yes i do read lots of books and do know about compression duel carbs and single carb, cross rams , tunnel ram set ups . yes i have worked with this set up and many others / yes its all for looks if you have low compression . its like saying you can get good perfomance with aluminum heads with low compression /nope . yes they run good yes they can sound good with your 3/4 race cams haha but its not what you are saying in real world its all for looks and to say i have it thats all . calling it like it is . take it to the track give me a 1/4 mile per hour that will say all

Not trying to be smart but I run 10.6 comp in my 440/493 eng with aluminum heads and I can run on 92 pump with no problems or ping running 37 total timing. You can run about 1 point higher comp with aluminum heads then iron since they disapate the heat faster. But I dont run a crossram on my 63 I run a dual plane Indy intake and the 850 DP. But I do race it and drive it to the track. I dont know how much faster it would be with 12 to 1 comp but I like running on 92 pump so I can pull in any gas station and get gas and drive to the track and race through the pipes on pump. And it will run in the 10's like that. I have a friend who runs a 340 stroker (416) with 9.5 comp and iron heads and he has run 11.30's in that pump gas combo. Ron

yes your right but he is trying to run a stock/mild set up wit it .you have very cool setup but its a stroker and alot of different things come into play with your package . not to be a keyboard comando or an *** but unless you do as you did its as i said for looks and yes drive ability problems with any setups has alot to do with the people setting up the car or their abilities .

mopar12372: Here is Centerline's original post:
"Trying to decide whether to go resto mod or Max Wedge tribute with my '64 Polara. The big question I have is exactly how streetable is the dual quad crossram? I would not be running ridiculously high compression nor an over the top cam but something around 9.5:1 and a nice hydraulic MP muscle car cam along with an overdrive 833 and 323 gears. Strictly a weekend street car. So with a set of matched AFB's how streetable is that manifold carb combo on a mild performance 440???"
So, if you reread that, you'll see that nowhere does it talk about maximum horsepower or even racing. 9.5:1 compression, 833OD trans, 3.23 rearend. Not the setup anyone would use if the intention was to race, so why would you write the stuff you wrote? He only wanted to know how "STREETABLE" a crossram set-up is. I do run 500 CFM Edelbrock carburetors on mine but I also have a pair of 750s I put on occasionally. I built my motor for the street and have no intention of taking it to the track. You said, "performance wise, it's a waste". Since I can roast my M/T ET Street Radial 30X13.50R15 tires at will, what's the point of more? You said you have experience with all those multi-carb manifolds. Got any pictures of your rides?

You are right Coloradodave as I can bet for sure your car will run like a beast and it looks good doing it ! I admit I took the easy way out and money was one reason as I went with a basic single carb the Holley DP as its a great carb to race with and its a simple easy setup. Money held me back from the crossram setup and I agree that there are some more powerful setups for all out racing then the factory crossram but I see many cars with the factory crossrams running very fast and looking real good while doing it. I mean I will admit that it is so cool to see someone lift their hood at a car show and see that so cool crossram with its AWE effect stareing you in the face. I actually painted my eng orange trying to have as much of the Max Wedge look I can and maybe one day I will be able to go to the crossram setup as many have told us on here they drive them on the street all the time without any big problems. I admit that with me on disabilty and having knee and back problems I built my car and eng to not need much maintenance as I like it basic and simple as I prefer to drive my 63 more then work on it. I still enjoy working on my muscle car but with my problems I cant enjoy the working part as much as I used too.

So in all honestly it sounds to me like you can run the crossram on the street and have good driveability as thats proven by the ones on here who run the crossrams on the street. And it most likely does give up a little performance over the latest setups like the Indy box crossram or a Victor intake with a dominator but the guys running them on the street dont mind that as they do still run strong enough to have fun and roast tires. In fact I dont know if the Indy dual plane and the 850 DP I run makes more power then I might make with the factory crossram ? Maybe one day I can find out. Ron

"So in all honestly it sounds to me like you can run the crossram on the street and have good driveability as thats proven by the ones on here who run the crossrams on the street. And it most likely does give up a little performance over the latest setups like the Indy box crossram or a Victor intake with a dominator but the guys running them on the street dont mind that as they do still run strong enough to have fun and roast tires. In fact I dont know if the Indy dual plane and the 850 DP I run makes more power then I might make with the factory crossram ? Maybe one day I can find out. Ron "

Ron,
Exactly. As I've said before, if I was interested in maximum horsepower and taking my car to the track, as you do, I probably would be running a set-up like yours. Racing for a lot of years in the gas classes and then M/P, I wrung out many tunnel ram/660 Holley combinations because the current manifolds/carburetors weren't available and certainly not for the max wedge heads.
I think we've answered Centerline's question and beat it to death....lol

Yes you guys did answer my questions. However it is always interesting to here all sides and viewpoints. It will be a little while before I get that far since my machine shop is running two months behind but as I work through this next year I'll keep all this in mind.

Thanks again.

cool to hear i hope you have fun with the decision , that stuff is really cool. i personally like to use stuff as they where made thats all ,
great info i learned too lots of nice pictures and info

Auto Transport Service
Back