• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MaxWedge built

elocho

Local time
10:24 AM
Reaction score
Good morning,

I am currently planning a maxwedge engine setup and have chosen parts to my best knowledge. However I have no experience with a streetable Maxwedge setup so I was hoping you could give me a hint in case I awefully misjudged something.

the car:
1963 Savoy
727 auto
3.55 gear
275/60/15 tyres

the idea:
the car shall have 95% street manners and see the track once a year. I love the MW design but do not aim for a high-rpm-strip-application-only. It will rather not see rpm exceeding 5.5k and shall have a high (but rather flat) torque and hp curve from 2k-5k rpm so I plan to base my built onthe A&A MW crossram with standard ports.

the plan:
- a cleaned and bored 440 serves as the base
- A&A crossram standard port topped with 2 no choke, vacuum Holleys 600cfm
- INDY EZ heads standard port
- Comp cams pro magnum shaft rockers 1.5
- dome pistons combined with a mls gasket for 10.5:1 cr with 98octane
- compcams CCA-21-224-4 xtreme energy, duration @ 050: 230/236, Lobe 110
- 7qrt oil pan
- ceramic coated MW headers
- lots of small stuff ect

flow wise the indy heads seem to overshoot in relation to the flow the intake can potentially deliver but I got them at a good price and wanted to used them on this project.

I appreciate your time reading till here and for any suggestion/improvement you would think of. In return, if there s an increased interest on "how this sh*t works" at the end I m happy to post real life result here once done.

have a good day
elocho

i wouldn't use ez heads because of the raised intake port and hood clearance. i wouldn't use a domed piston because they're power killers if not done right and with today's pistons unnecessary for 10.5:1 compression. you can build a good quench into the engine that will run fine on 93 octane and make some power too with off the shelf pistons and a simple fel-pro gasket. i would use a small mechanical cam. the cam you list is too small for the compression ratio you list. i would use 1405 edelbrock carbs because they duplicate the size of the 3447 stock carbs and are very easy to tune. i would not use an edelbrock 500cfm carb.

i wouldn't use ez heads because of the raised intake port and hood clearance. i wouldn't use a domed piston because they're power killers if not done right and with today's pistons unnecessary for 10.5:1 compression. you can build a good quench into the engine that will run fine on 93 octane and make some power too with off the shelf pistons and a simple fel-pro gasket. i would use a small mechanical cam. the cam you list is too small for the compression ratio you list. i would use 1405 edelbrock carbs because they duplicate the size of the 3447 stock carbs and are very easy to tune. i would not use an edelbrock 500cfm carb.
I think your advice is pretty good. It's too bad that he already has the EZ heads. Plus even the OOTB Edelbrock RPM will out flow the OOTB EZ to around .500" lift. However, the EZ heads don't have raised ports, intake or exhaust, so the hood clearance isn't an issue.

thankyou lewtot184
I tought the clearance was enough actually, but I ll see upon assembly ;)
regarding CR.. I only have 98 octane or more on my part of the planet and wanted to use that potential. Regarding your thoughts on the cam, I thought about the xtreme energy listed above or a magnum cam from comp cams. I talked to 2 comp cams employees and both recommended the xtreme cam. as I m not a cam expert I followed their advise, but I m open to other reasoning as well of course. Would you have a suggestion for a bigger cam?

thanks in advance

thankyou lewtot184
regarding CR.. I only have 98 octane or more on my part of the planet and wanted to use that potential. Regarding your thoughts on the cam, I thought about the xtreme energy listed above or a magnum cam from comp cams. I talked to 2 comp cams employees and both recommended the xtreme cam. as I m not a cam expert I followed their advise, but I m open to other reasoning as well of course. Would you have a suggestion for a bigger cam?

thanks in advance
Take a look at Lunati Voodoo for a cam option if they're available where you are.

thanks,

from what I find lunati grind 10230703 is the last one before things end up beyond 2800 stall and nitrious. However lift and lobe are identical to the above. Which one would you recommend specifically?

thanks,

from what I find lunati grind 10230703 is the last one before things end up beyond 2800 stall and nitrious. However lift and lobe are identical to the above. Which one would you recommend specifically?
What's the stall speed of your torque converter? Your cam selection is, essentially, based on that and rear gearing.

indeed, I missed that one in the description above. I d feel comfortable with anything between 2200-2500. gear 3.55 275/60 street radials

You also didn't list your selected cams duration.
This Voodoo (10230703LK) has slightly lower duration @.050 (226/234) but lift is nice .494/.513.
My Comp is slightly more than stock:
Dur: @.050 233/240, lift: .474/.474
This is in a 383 with an Edelbrock Performer RPM, Edelbrock 1405 carb, factory high performance exhaust manifolds, 2400 TCI converter and 3:55 gears. Factory 14" pizza cutters don't stand a chance.

thankyou lewtot184

thanks in advance
i built a 440 with indy sr heads for friend some years back and he put it in a '64 plymouth. pretty sure the sr head and ez have the same intake port location. anyhow he had to cut the hood to clear the carbs (6pak). the cross ram positions the carbs pretty high. the original cars had the webbing cut out from the bottom of the hood to clear the air cleaners with a standard intake port location. i'd suggest a pair of re-worked stealths or edelbrock rpms with an icon, diamond or some other off the shelf light weight flat top 10.5:1 piston. i think the cam you've listed will make too much cylinder pressure. it's short seat timing, and comp always grinds 4 degrees of advance in them, will make for a fairly early intake valve closing. i prefer the mechanicals because they are much more flexible than hydraulics. i run a 440 with rpm heads, ch28 dual quads, icon 836 pistons with an engle k65 mech cam in my '65 coronet. this is a very nice pump gas friendly, low maintenance combo. i use a factory 10 3/4" converter with 3.23 gears and 28" tall tires. this is a drive anywhere, go anywhere combo.

This Voodoo (10230703LK) has slightly lower duration @.050 (226/234) but lift is nice .494/.513.
This is in a 383 with an Edelbrock Performer RPM, Edelbrock 1405 carb, factory high performance exhaust manifolds, 2400 TCI converter and 3:55 gears. Factory 14" pizza cutters don't stand a chance.

Thanks so far, the cam has:

thanks, the cam above has:

duration 274/286
duration @.050 230/236
lift .488/.491
lobe lift .325/.327

i hope i didn't miss anything

I think your advice is pretty good. It's too bad that he already has the EZ heads. Plus even the OOTB Edelbrock RPM will out flow the OOTB EZ to around .500" lift. However, the EZ heads don't have raised ports, intake or exhaust, so the hood clearance isn't an issue.
Curses! Stock exhaust port location........creeping old age.

Auto Transport Service
Back